• 06-03-2011
    jason333
    Moving to Austin..trail advise
    My wife and I are moving to Austin next week. We live in Louisiana, so our local trail is flat. It has been described a lot as a 5 mile BMX course.
    Where would be a good place to start riding to become familiar with the rocky and up and down terrain? I would love to ride some elevation, but every shop I asked said there was little to none.

    I would also like to find this brew pub located at the end of some trail.

    I've searched the trails there, and they all look different.
    Any help is appreciated.

    Also is Mellow Johny's the only Santa Cruz dealer?
  • 06-03-2011
    XRaptor
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jason333 View Post
    My wife and I are moving to Austin next week. We live in Louisiana, so our local trail is flat. It has been described a lot as a 5 mile BMX course.
    Where would be a good place to start riding to become familiar with the rocky and up and down terrain? I would love to ride some elevation, but every shop I asked said there was little to none.

    I would also like to find this brew pub located at the end of some trail.

    I've searched the trails there, and they all look different.
    Any help is appreciated.

    Also is Mellow Johny's the only Santa Cruz dealer?

    Almost everything you need to know is here. http://www.mountainbiketx.com/texas/trails/index6.php Learn it love it Ride it!
  • 06-04-2011
    Fat Bob
    Austin is a fun town, plenty to do and plenty to keep you busy. The riding is good there too. Walnut is a good GP trail, BCGB & City Park are a little more technical.

    www.austinbike.com is a good resource for trails in the area
  • 06-05-2011
    San Marcos
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jason333 View Post
    Where would be a good place to start riding to become familiar with the rocky and up and down terrain? I would love to ride some elevation, but every shop I asked said there was little to none.

    Barton Creek Greenbelt Very rocky, plenty of technical spots, and some elevation change. There is a hill called the "Hill of Life" that is 300 feet of elevation change in 1/2 a mile. There might not be lots of elevation change in the eyes of someone from Colorado, but as a former Louisianan, I think there is some elevation.


    Also, check out Walnut Creek (rolling singletrack); Emma Long City Park (more technical); and Reveille Peak Ranch (heres a video great video http://vimeo.com/19354076 )
  • 06-07-2011
    mtbscott
    Rode Pace Bend Saturday with some of my junior teammates. It was in pretty good shape, but we had a plague of mechanicals. I got a thorn in the sidewall of my rear tire. It eventually sealed but not without three stops for CO2 and holding the bike on its side. One of the kids broke a spoke early on, wrapped it around another to continue, but it popped back out twice. Then to add insult to injury, his chain wedged in between the cassette and spokes and we couldn't yank it out, so he had to carry his bike a mile or so down the hill back to the start. Last but not least, another kid was "just riding along" and a small rock wedged itself between his right crank arm/spider and the frame and locked everything up solid. It took a tool to pry it out. Only two in our group escaped unscathed from the ride.
    PB is a great trail, technical enough for most, but not too hard for noobs. It has a fair amount of climbing but it's well designed, not straight up and down.
  • 06-08-2011
    austin_bike
    Ping me in a few weeks when I am back in town. I can give you a better tour of the greenbelt. And I was married in louisiana, so I speak the language ;)
  • 06-08-2011
    CharacterZero
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by San Marcos View Post
    Reveille Peak Ranch (heres a video great video http://vimeo.com/19354076 )

    thanks man!:thumbsup:
  • 06-08-2011
    kwrides
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by San Marcos View Post
    Reveille Peak Ranch (heres a video great video http://vimeo.com/19354076 )

    Thanks for sharing. That couldn't be more different from Houston if it tried!
  • 06-09-2011
    jason333
    Thanks guys... will certainly pm! I am headed over tomorrow, and will poke around somewhere on Saturday. That video of the trail at Reveille Ranch looks amazing.
  • 06-09-2011
    CharacterZero
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jason333 View Post
    Thanks guys... will certainly pm! I am headed over tomorrow, and will poke around somewhere on Saturday. That video of the trail at Reveille Ranch looks amazing.

    If you like that trail, shoot me your information and I will let you know next time we are out there building, then you can help shape some!
  • 06-11-2011
    chardog
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jason333 View Post
    Thanks guys... will certainly pm! I am headed over tomorrow, and will poke around somewhere on Saturday. That video of the trail at Reveille Ranch looks amazing.

    If you (or anyone else) would like a guided tour of all the XC trail system our there, I would happy to do so. Also, check out the Austin Ridge Riders for group rides, trail building, etc. We build tons of trial and work with land managers to get more, keep more open.

    You may want to check out Walnut Creek first and work your way into these things called rocks that we have here that you don't see often where your came from.;)

    The rockiest end of the spectrum would be Barton Creek and Lake Georgetown.

    Reveille Peak has lots of rock, but unlike most every other place around here which is limestone, Reveille is granite. Much grippier than limestone. You can ride amazing off camber stuff there with incredible traction.

    Cheers,

    Charlie
  • 06-12-2011
    Fat Bob
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by chardog View Post
    Also, check out the Austin Ridge Riders for group rides, trail building, etc. We build tons of trial and work with land managers to get more, keep more open.

    Agreed, rode with the ARR yesterday for the first time. Top notch group... well organized and great people. If I lived in Austin I'd be a Ride Rider for sure
  • 06-13-2011
    cmc4130
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jason333 View Post
    . . .
    I would also like to find this brew pub located at the end of some trail.

    . . . .

    Uncle Billy's is close the "end" of the Greenbelt. You exit Greenbelt at Barton Springs pool, then ride about 1/4 mile to the pub.

    https://www.unclebillysaustin.com/brewery.php

    I think Walnut Creek is definitely worth a visit. Do a ride with the Ridgeriders . . .

  • 06-13-2011
    adbirds
    Welcome to Austin! We have a lot of stony trails, so I ride 2.5" fattys on my mtn bike, and ride Parmer / Ronald Reagan out to Andice for weekend morning road rides. There are a lot of nice county roads in Williamson County. Also like to ride (search) the Good Water Trail from Tejas Camp off CR258/Ronald Reagan Pkwy. In the city there are multiple places. The steepest might be St. Edwards Park. Cross the creek and climb, then find the trails under trees, mixed technicality.
  • 06-13-2011
    adbirds
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by cmc4130 View Post
    Uncle Billy's is close the "end" of the Greenbelt. You exit Greenbelt at Barton Springs pool, then ride about 1/4 mile to the pub.

    https://www.unclebillysaustin.com/brewery.php

    I think Walnut Creek is definitely worth a visit. Do a ride with the Ridgeriders . . .



    Walnut Creek is awesome!
  • 06-13-2011
    Cassafrass
    Uncle Billy's is pretty tasty stuff - oh, and their food is good too!

    Start with Walnut Creek, if you can find someone to go with, all the better. There are some decent signs, but it can be easy to get lost out there.

    What part of town are you in? We are picking up more rides at St Eds and Barton Creek Greenbelt (BCGB),but also ride Walnut pretty regularly - heading to the Nut tonight actually! It'll be a moderate paced ride, I got a nasty chainring bite Saturday.
  • 06-13-2011
    CharacterZero
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Cassafrass View Post
    I got a nasty chainring bite Saturday.

    Great insight here - you can pretty much drop that big ring, and replace with a bash guard if you are going to ride ATX. Very few trails need a big ring and even more bust the teeth right off if you run one.
  • 06-13-2011
    Cassafrass
    To get slightly-off-topic...

    CharacterZero - Mine is from a combination of factors, not the bike's fault. I was negotiating a limestone ledge topped off with some fine powdery dust, and did not properly weight the rear before applying force. That said, I am looking (again) for a bashguard. First time looking was because I'm lazy and kept getting my leg dirty, now it's because I have these pretty teeth carved into my calf forever LOL
  • 06-13-2011
    hunrugger
    I don't think anyone answered - HammerHead Bikes is a Santa Cruz dealer. It's not however the kind of shop you walk in an see complete bikes ready for the taking, however.
  • 06-13-2011
    CharacterZero
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jason333 View Post

    Also is Mellow Johny's the only Santa Cruz dealer?

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by hunrugger View Post
    I don't think anyone answered - HammerHead Bikes is a Santa Cruz dealer. It's not however the kind of shop you walk in an see complete bikes ready for the taking, however.

    1. I didn't know HH carried SC. HH doesn't list SC under "brands" and SC doesn't list HH under dealers.
    2. Dealer list here. bicycle sport shop is probably your best bet...
  • 06-13-2011
    hunrugger
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    1. I didn't know HH carried SC. HH doesn't list SC under "brands" and SC doesn't list HH under dealers.
    2. Dealer list here. bicycle sport shop is probably your best bet...

    Pretty sure I saw a tall boy hanging up and even overheard a customer asking about SC and Cody or Adam tell them they could order one. If I recall correctly, they said it was a new arrangement. I could be mistaken.

    CZ - Not post related - I pinged Joe today. He'll bring gloves into work again tomorrow. Sorry, just been slammed.
  • 06-13-2011
    CharacterZero
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by hunrugger View Post
    Pretty sure I saw a tall boy hanging up and even overheard a customer asking about SC and Cody or Adam tell them they could order one. If I recall correctly, they said it was a new arrangement. I could be mistaken.

    CZ - Not post related - I pinged Joe today. He'll bring gloves into work again tomorrow. Sorry, just been slammed.

    Works for me bud!
  • 06-13-2011
    jason333
    I rode / Stayed lost at WC today. It was hot and like riding on the moon compared to what I am accustomed to riding. I had a blast and realized I am very out of shape for the heat / climbing in this area. Everyone was very nice in pointing me in the right direction.
    Slow and steady, but it was a BLAST. I met a very nice guy who is going to tour guide me on Thurs...CANT WAIT!

    The reason I ask about the santa cruz dealer is the 2 shops i went to said they didn't work on em /shrug

    Mellow's seems SLAMMED and is very far from me. I am off of Anderson Mills.
    So far I love this place. I can't wait to get my wife over to enjoy it as well!
    It is literally like Bizarro Texas..
  • 06-13-2011
    CharacterZero
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jason333 View Post
    I rode / Stayed lost at WC today. It was hot and like riding on the moon compared to what I am accustomed to riding. I had a blast and realized I am very out of shape for the heat / climbing in this area. Everyone was very nice in pointing me in the right direction.
    Slow and steady, but it was a BLAST. I met a very nice guy who is going to tour guide me on Thurs...CANT WAIT!

    The reason I ask about the santa cruz dealer is the 2 shops i went to said they didn't work on em /shrug

    Mellow's seems SLAMMED and is very far from me. I am off of Anderson Mills.
    So far I love this place. I can't wait to get my wife over to enjoy it as well!
    It is literally like Bizarro Texas..

    Go to Bicycle Sport Shop at Anderson Mill/183.

    For a shop to turn you away because of the brand...which shop would do that?
  • 06-14-2011
    Fat Bob
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jason333 View Post
    The reason I ask about the santa cruz dealer is the 2 shops i went to said they didn't work on em /shrug

    Huh? WTF kind of shop doesn't work on a high end mountain bike? Did you have that special "Huffy" edition SC by chance?
  • 06-14-2011
    bear
    Jason, Pfui on MJ!

    BSS is a great shop but also think about giving Hammerhead Bikes a call - they're not that much further away.

    If you don't take up Austin Bike on a BCGB ride sometime you're just being stupid to yourself. Note: bring plenty of water and snacks.

    Jeeze but I miss the BCGB. I've some tasty stuff where I live now (NE PA) but I spent a lot of time with that network and it's soo sweet.

    You need to get someone to give you a out-n-back led-ride at Lake Georgetown too ... rockier by far but fun, and has a nice lake to jump into at the end of the ride.
  • 06-14-2011
    Cassafrass
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jason333 View Post
    I rode / Stayed lost at WC today. It was hot and like riding on the moon compared to what I am accustomed to riding. I had a blast and realized I am very out of shape for the heat / climbing in this area. Everyone was very nice in pointing me in the right direction.
    Slow and steady, but it was a BLAST. I met a very nice guy who is going to tour guide me on Thurs...CANT WAIT!

    The reason I ask about the santa cruz dealer is the 2 shops i went to said they didn't work on em /shrug

    Mellow's seems SLAMMED and is very far from me. I am off of Anderson Mills.
    So far I love this place. I can't wait to get my wife over to enjoy it as well!
    It is literally like Bizarro Texas..

    Be sure you have enough water/electrolytes and snacks if needed while you're out - yesterday was a warm one, and it'll only get worse from here. If you're going out super-early or pushing to dark, you'll be acclimated enough to the temps in no time :) Another bad point for yesterday was very little breeze - I've become accustomed to having that breeze, and it really helps with our temps.

    Check Bicycle Sport Shop for service - they trued a rotor off my boyfriend's Rocky Mountain without issue (there is no Rocky Mountain dealer in Austin), and check HammerHead too - I have no direct experience with them, but have heard good things.
  • 06-14-2011
    hunrugger
    Jason,

    I too recommend HammerHead Bikes for sure, high-end, but not snooty at all.
  • 06-14-2011
    mtbscott
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bear View Post
    Jason, Pfui on MJ!

    Jeeze but I miss the BCGB. I've some tasty stuff where I live now (NE PA) but I spent a lot of time with that network and it's soo sweet.

    I have ridden the BCGB half a dozen times over the last 10 years, but always leave feeling like I've missed something. No more. This past Sunday, I rode with a local Pro and two of my junior teammates who live near it. We left the Barton Springs parking lot and rode non-stop for almost two hours. The turnaround point was near the top of the Hill of Life where you branched out onto some ridge hugging singletrack that descended back to the bottom. I could have never found the whole route myself, but what a great combo of easy singletrack, with a fair amount of climbing, and some very trials-riderish rockpiles thrown in from time to time. Can't wait to go back.
  • 06-14-2011
    bear
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mtbscott View Post
    I have ridden the BCGB half a dozen times over the last 10 years, but always leave feeling like I've missed something. No more...I could have never found the whole route myself, but what a great combo of easy singletrack, with a fair amount of climbing, and some very trials-riderish rockpiles thrown in from time to time. Can't wait to go back.

    That's the key, going with some that know.

    There's some truly wonderful trail out there, and I had the fortune to be introduced to it properly in the early '00's. I've had many a 5+ hour jaunt there!
  • 06-14-2011
    jason333
    I plan to ride Barton Creek, and pretty much everything here that I can. I just want to acclimate to the heat and elevation (however slight it may be) changes.

    Baton Rouge gets hot, but it's more like steam and is as flat as a board, where this seems to be sneaky hot and hilly. I am a pretty big guy, so I want to be cautious about over heating out here.

    The shops are in my area, but I'd rather not blast them as they were VERY nice and helpful with everything else. They seemed apologetic about it, but did state they don't work on the. I chalked it up to the fact that you guys have so many riders that shops can be choosy. I don't really have any tools here, so it would be nice to have the bike gone over from time to time.

    I signed up for an Austin site (voodoo or some such), but the admins haven't approved me yet.

    Again so far this place has been great in every way. I couldn't imagine a bigger scene.
  • 06-14-2011
    cmc4130
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jason333 View Post
    I rode / Stayed lost at WC today. It was hot and like riding on the moon . . . ..

    The moon dust aspect is because of the drought we're experiencing. It's usually not that bad in June.

    As for getting lost, you can usually hear the traffic on Lamar, so you'll always know which way is East from the park, so it's not that bad. That, and the Ridgeriders did a lot of signage.
  • 06-14-2011
    bear
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jason333 View Post
    just want to acclimate to the heat and elevation (however slight it may be) changes.

    Smart. I always packed my camelbak bladder with ice and topped it off with water during the hot times, and carried 1-2 bottles with electrolyte stuff. The longest climbs are not long in the Colorado sense of the word, but they'll make you work so taking your time and pacing yourself is the way of the wise.

    bikemojo.com is a great place to connect with Austin local people (and you'll see a small number of people here on there too, some with the same handle) - just remember to a) ignore the political forum and b) think of it as a frat-house for MTBrs for all the good and ill that means. The 'mojo community is huge and filled with fantastic people and some scary-good riders though so be sure to get out to some group rides. If you can, get out to some of the Tuesday R&I sessions at Walnut Creek.

    Great times to be had!
  • 06-14-2011
    jason333

    Ran into this group today. EXTREMELY nice couple on this bike. I was half dead at this point as I have no stamina for the hills (I hope I didn't come across as rude...I could barely stand :/).
    How nice to see 100's of bikers all over walnut creek.
  • 06-14-2011
    dimitrin
    Made Walnut on a Tues evening, good for you. I hope that you got to hang out for the Imbibe aspect of the Tuesday night R&I!! Some good peeps out there for sure!
  • 06-15-2011
    Fat Bob
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jason333 View Post

    Ran into this group today. EXTREMELY nice couple on this bike. I was half dead at this point as I have no stamina for the hills (I hope I didn't come across as rude...I could barely stand :/).
    How nice to see 100's of bikers all over walnut creek.

    Austin is a world of its own. Enjoy!
  • 06-15-2011
    adbirds
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Fat Bob View Post
    Austin is a fun town, plenty to do and plenty to keep you busy. The riding is good there too. Walnut is a good GP trail, BCGB & City Park are a little more technical.

    www.austinbike.com is a good resource for trails in the area

    Great links thx FB!
  • 06-15-2011
    texacajun
    You one of the BRAMBA guys? Baton Rouge refugee myself and old school BRAMBA member. Post up on Bikemojo and I'll be glad to show you around Walnut (WC) and show you how to navigate it. The ride you ran into The Tuesday Night Ride & Imbibe (aka R&I) is a local fixture.

    FYI, If Walnut Creek was riding on the moon then you may want to skip Barton Creek Greenbelt (BCGB) for a while. It's a blast but you probably want something between Walnut and BCGB to learn riding rocks & ledges. BCGB has got LOTS more climbing and a lot more technical stuff (i.e. rocks, ledges, etc.) Try Pace Bend Park or Muleshoe Bend west of town for great ride/swim combo's then probably RPR to get used to the hills and the rocks before jumping into BCGB.

    It's freakin' hot as hell so take small bites out of the hill country 'til you get used to the riding out here.:thumbsup: And post up on Bikemojo vs here since that's where all the ride calls take place.

    edit: Also check out www.austinbike.com It's a site by one of the bikemojo guys that rates everything local.

    And Bicycle Sport Shop is the other Santa Cruz shop in town. They have 3 locations.
  • 06-15-2011
    kwrides
    I'm visiting Austin from Houston this weekend. Lago vista actually, but it doesn't look like there's much riding there, so I'll be heading to Austin to ride while my family hangs out by the water. I just want to give a huge thank you to the guys from Austin that are offering great advice and welcoming visitors with open arms and honest feedback. My wife and I are thinking about where we want to live next, checking out different places, and you guys leave a great impression of the people of Austin.
  • 06-15-2011
    texacajun
    Got access to a boat? Literally directly opposite Lago Vista is Pace Bend Park.
  • 06-15-2011
    kwrides
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by texacajun View Post
    Got access to a boat? Literally directly opposite Lago Vista is Pace Bend Park.

    I wish! 72 min drive. Maybe I will just tether the bike and swim.,
  • 06-15-2011
    Nocturnus
    Soooo close, yet so far away.. Less then 1000ft of river. Just go down to the river and see if someone will take ya across.
  • 06-16-2011
    kwrides
    I was thinking that too, a six pack opens a lot of doors, but then how do you get back?
  • 06-16-2011
    adbirds
    Answer found on swimming forum? :D There are a number of places to swim and ride during wet seasons, but these days.... 105 deg. has my wife and I thinking of CA or CO adventures. In August I'm heading up to Southwest CO for a camp & ride at Rio Grande Reservoir. First day to acclimate and stretch... second day up early for a ride over Molas Pass to Silverton and back, recovery day, then to Lake City. Day 4 will be riding the Alpine Loop. Lots of beer afterward before the long drive home to the oven.

    Alternative to Austin? Tough call, but if I had to move I'd pick Durango or maybe Santa Fe.
  • 06-16-2011
    bear
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by adbirds View Post
    Alternative to Austin? Tough call, but if I had to move I'd pick Durango or maybe Santa Fe.

    This is going to sound insane on the face of it, but if I was moving back out west I'd seriously consider Phoenix. The MTB community there is "the next level" above Austin, total year-round cycling, totally every kind of cycling one could desire, decent employment situation for many (most). When the weather turns too warm for you the mountain areas of CO/UT/NM are within easy driving distance but you are not required to survive winter.

    The only thing it doesn't have is large bodies of water, I think.

    Oh, but it DOES have the nastiest cactus types around!

    I *would* probably love living at altitude though. Durango. Denver area. Or even moderate style like Grand Junction.
  • 06-16-2011
    adbirds
    My wife was just out in PHX and loved it. She can't make this run with me so there's room for one MTBer if willing to help drive and share gas cost. Aug. 13 - 21.
  • 06-16-2011
    texacajun
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kwrides View Post
    I was thinking that too, a six pack opens a lot of doors, but then how do you get back?

    Sometimes you gotta put out or swim. :eek: :D
  • 06-16-2011
    jason333
    Went to BSS (shop right off 183 at Braker). LOVED it. They are a Santa Cruz dealer and looked over my bike. They told me a of a few sneaky trails that I can't wait to try.
    Texacajun:
    I'd love more of a tour guide, but my fitness is nowhere near a level to follow someone on these trails it seems. The climbing killed me Tues.
    I know enough of the loop to solo train out there until I can hang.

    Again thanks so much guys. This entire town is bike friendly (except the people who loath mountain bikers hehe).
  • 06-17-2011
    adbirds
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jason333 View Post
    Went to BSS (shop right off 183 at Braker). LOVED it. They are a Santa Cruz dealer and looked over my bike. They told me a of a few sneaky trails that I can't wait to try.
    Texacajun:
    I'd love more of a tour guide, but my fitness is nowhere near a level to follow someone on these trails it seems. The climbing killed me Tues.
    I know enough of the loop to solo train out there until I can hang.

    Again thanks so much guys. This entire town is bike friendly (except the people who loath mountain bikers hehe).

    Just keep on riding!
  • 06-17-2011
    texacajun
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jason333 View Post
    Went to BSS (shop right off 183 at Braker). LOVED it. They are a Santa Cruz dealer and looked over my bike. They told me a of a few sneaky trails that I can't wait to try.
    Texacajun:
    I'd love more of a tour guide, but my fitness is nowhere near a level to follow someone on these trails it seems. The climbing killed me Tues.
    I know enough of the loop to solo train out there until I can hang.

    Again thanks so much guys. This entire town is bike friendly (except the people who loath mountain bikers hehe).


    The local mtb club, the Austin Ridge Riders, holds a no-drop ride every Sunday at 9:30 at WC. Real friendly group that will put you with others at your pace and they'll be group leaders there to give you pointers on riding the rocks/hills. :thumbsup:

    Details here: http://www.austinridgeriders.com/eve...e-walnut-creek

    Check out the monthly group rides too. I think the next one is at Muleshoe on the weekend after the 4th. Good spot to ride/swim/grill.
  • 06-17-2011
    Cassafrass
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jason333 View Post
    Went to BSS (shop right off 183 at Braker). LOVED it. They are a Santa Cruz dealer and looked over my bike. They told me a of a few sneaky trails that I can't wait to try.
    Texacajun:
    I'd love more of a tour guide, but my fitness is nowhere near a level to follow someone on these trails it seems. The climbing killed me Tues.
    I know enough of the loop to solo train out there until I can hang.

    Again thanks so much guys. This entire town is bike friendly (except the people who loath mountain bikers hehe).

    we're heading to the Nut in about an hour, probably wheels down around 630.

    There are ALWAYS rides going on... check out the ridge riders no-drop rides. Everyone's been at the "low fitness level" point - Every single one of us. Except maybe Lance Armstrong. but he's an alien lol.
  • 06-17-2011
    kwrides
    Rode Walnut Creek this morning...figured I would ease into Austin. Lots of doubletrack, twisty single track, and limestone. Not nearly as many roots as Houston, but more sustained climbing. I had a blast, but got a bit lost. I took my Garmin with me for safety, and it paid off. There is a LOT of trail crammed into a very small area. Lots of fun.

    I was planning to ride the greenbelt tomorrow morning, but ran into car trouble. I'm headed to a mechanic first thing in the morning and hopeing they can fix the car in time for me to ride Sunday before I have to drive back to Houston Monday morning.

    Everyone I talked to was very friendly, and the trails were pretty quiet on a Friday morning. I'm very impressed with the hospitality of the people of Austin.
  • 06-17-2011
    texacajun
    FYI, there's a marked route at Walnut. Follow the arrows with the blue dots on the brown carsonite posts. It's a 10-11 mi loop around the park. Follow the arrows with the P to get to the parking lot the quickest.

    At Pace Bend there's a similarly marked loop except the dots on the arrows are gold instead of blue.
  • 06-18-2011
    kwrides
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by texacajun View Post
    FYI, there's a marked route at Walnut. Follow the arrows with the blue dots on the brown carsonite posts. It's a 10-11 mi loop around the park. Follow the arrows with the P to get to the parking lot the quickest.

    At Pace Bend there's a similarly marked loop except the dots on the arrows are gold instead of blue.

    But there are blue dots all over the place, very easy to get turned around. Fun trails though.
  • 06-19-2011
    kwrides
    Rode the Barton Creek Greenbelt today. Wow! What a different world from Houston!!

    Lots of rocks. In some places, LOTS. Not nearly the roots of Houston or the constant ups and downs, but the trails are very tight, and a few climbs are a lot longer than I'm used to. I highly recommend wearing long sleeves, even with the heat. My arms are covered in scratches from the bushes. I had to walk it a few times, particularly over a very steep limestone decent with little stair steps mixed in. I watched a few guys ride it and that is a skill I need to learn. Also, it's REALLY dusty here...I should have brought extra water for clean up (that was true at Walnut Creek too).

    A few times I met people on the trail and asked for directions, and everyone was very friendly and welcoming. Even the hikers were friendly. Great trails and great people made for a great time. Next time I will seek out a guide to show me which side trails to take and which to avoid. I got on a few side trails that had a lot of low trees that forced me to hike.

    I will be back to Austin for sure! Next time, I will try to stay on the south side of the lake though. Lago Vista is too far out.
  • 06-20-2011
    bear
    Summer BCGB hint - if you like big rides - if you start early you can park for free in the lots by the fields off Robert E. Lee (access from Barton Springs rd), cross at the ped-bridge by Barton Springs and ride up into the BCGB and back. Then dunk yourself in the creek in Poor Man's Pool (just at the out-flow from the Zilker Pool. Cool, refreshing, and you don't need to waste potable water on post-ride cleanup. Then roll across Barton Springs and get some grub at Chuy's or Shady Grove!
  • 06-20-2011
    texacajun
    bear you're missing a monsterously hot & dry summer . Even WC is bone dry now and it's only mid-June. :mad:
  • 06-20-2011
    bear
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by texacajun View Post
    bear you're missing a monsterously hot & dry summer . Even WC is bone dry now and it's only mid-June. :mad:

    The phrase you're looking for is "magically avoided" not "missing" :D

    Alas, I remember those 105F rides. Strangely with fondness. Part of my personal training was learning to weigh myself before and after summer rides to see if I needed to panic about rehydration or not. Any time I ended up more than 2 pounds lighter after a ride I made a point of drinking 1+ gallons of water/eletrolyte mix before going to bed!

    I wish we should share the love a bit though, we have plenty of water over here - too much often-times.
  • 06-20-2011
    hunrugger
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kwrides View Post
    I wish! 72 min drive. Maybe I will just tether the bike and swim.,

    If you are over 5'5" you can just hold your bike over head and walk it with this drought.

    Jason, don't overlook Bull Creek and St Ed's. They are good beginner places, with intermediate and expert goods as well.

    St Eds has a pretty flat lower loop with some inter-connectors and out and backs that are very beginner friendly. It also has a great long climb with some more technical trail on the far side of the creek, including some expert steps down.

    Bull Creek is mostly beginner friendly, more mileage than St Ed's. Plenty of room to grown with your experience. All you have to do is look for more elevation to find more trail - nuff said.
  • 06-21-2011
    jason333
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by hunrugger View Post
    If you are over 5'5" you can just hold your bike over head and walk it with this drought.

    Jason, don't overlook Bull Creek and St Ed's. They are good beginner places, with intermediate and expert goods as well.

    St Eds has a pretty flat lower loop with some inter-connectors and out and backs that are very beginner friendly. It also has a great long climb with some more technical trail on the far side of the creek, including some expert steps down.

    Bull Creek is mostly beginner friendly, more mileage than St Ed's. Plenty of room to grown with your experience. All you have to do is look for more elevation to find more trail - nuff said.

    I've had trouble finding Bull Creek tbh.

    I now have a small loop at Walnut that I run each time out that gets a little longer each time with slightly more climbing. The nice part is I mixed in a nice long 1/4 mileish slight down with little jumps (I'm sure you guys all know it) on the way out. That part is pretty fun.
    I need to go check out BMX loop. I really enjoy taking the loop thats on the road side of the creek as a warm up little loop. It has one black feature with a nice berm that is really fun.

    The first creek crossing I have no idea how to do. It has some pretty narley roots on the way down that I walk. I am usually alone, and would hate to get smoked right there on that down as there is nothing but DRY HOT rock at the bottom.
  • 06-21-2011
    hunrugger
    You speak of Powerline Hill and the Windy Loop. I rarely ride The Nut, but always look forward to the Windy Loop.

    There are a few places to access the area:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=30.366...t=h&gl=us&z=16

    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=30.378...t=h&gl=us&z=16

    And here, but not recommended unless you are looking for some man to man action.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=30.383...t=h&gl=us&z=16

    This area is also worth checking out for a warm up or beginner loop.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=30.383...t=h&gl=us&z=16

    If you check out Bull Creek, explore the entire area, there is a lot of trail out there, but you won't find it mapped except for the main trails (Inga's and Skip's Trails).
  • 06-21-2011
    chardog
    [QUOTE=adbirds;8151442]My wife was just out in PHX and loved it. She can't make this run with me so there's room for one MTBer if willing to help drive and share gas cost. Aug. 13 - 21.[/QUOTE]

    Where are you going from/to?
  • 06-25-2011
    chardog
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jason333 View Post
    Thanks guys... will certainly pm! I am headed over tomorrow, and will poke around somewhere on Saturday. That video of the trail at Reveille Ranch looks amazing.

    I just posted a ride at RPR for July 2. See separate thread on mtbr as well as on bikemojo.com: http://www.bikemojo.com/speak/showth...aturday-7-2-11
  • 06-27-2011
    adbirds
    [QUOTE=chardog;8168296]
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by adbirds View Post
    My wife was just out in PHX and loved it. She can't make this run with me so there's room for one MTBer if willing to help drive and share gas cost. Aug. 13 - 21.[/QUOTE]

    Where are you going from/to?

    Austin - Rio Grande Reservoir (Lost Trail) for rides over Stony Pass to Silverton, area trails, then Lake City for a ride around the Alpine Loop. Back on the 24th.
  • 06-28-2011
    j-cos
    Hey Jason, it was nice to meet you on the trails at Walnut Creek today. If you need a tour sometime just let me know, I can show you some of the other areas you may have missed.
  • 07-01-2011
    jason333
    Wierd..I see people post in this thread from the Texas forum, but when I enter the thread I can't see any new posts. I know replies can be throughout the, but that's not the issue....weird.
    I met Jcos last week. Really nice guy (single speed???), and met another guy form New roads. Lovin it so far.
  • 07-02-2011
    bamwa
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Fat Bob View Post
    Agreed, rode with the ARR yesterday for the first time. Top notch group... well organized and great people. If I lived in Austin I'd be a Ride Rider for sure

    Lovin the inadvertent pun! Long live the Austin Ride Riders!
  • 07-03-2011
    chardog
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bamwa1 View Post
    Lovin the inadvertent pun! Long live the Austin Ride Riders!

    I had to read that a few times before I saw what you were referring to. Did not even notice the "d" missing from "Ridge". You see what you are looking for.

    Not sure it's a pun... "inadvertent redundancy by typo" if that's such a thing?
  • 07-05-2011
    mtbscott
    Another great ride Sunday at the Green Belt. I had done a 65 mile roadride on Saturday so didn't know if my legs could stand it, but felt okay once we got rolling. I came up Saturday night to Austin to deliver a new bike to one of the kids on my team, then we got a 9:15 start with two others before it got too hot or crowded. Did a similar route to how I did last time there, starting at Barton Springs, up the Hill of Life, then down the ridge route, then back. 2 hours 15 minutes with only stop a photo-op at the top of HOL. Followed by a plunge into Barton Springs and lunch at Torchy's Tacos on Lamar. I got in 8 hours or riding on my 3 day weekend! WooHoo!
    Here's me and the kids, two aged 14 and one 13, and boy they can ride!
  • 07-05-2011
    Fat Bob
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bamwa1 View Post
    Lovin the inadvertent pun! Long live the Austin Ride Riders!

    Haha... didn't catch that I missed the"g" in "Ridge"...
  • 07-05-2011
    kwrides
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mtbscott View Post
    Another great ride Sunday at the Green Belt. I had done a 65 mile roadride on Saturday so didn't know if my legs could stand it, but felt okay once we got rolling. I came up Saturday night to Austin to deliver a new bike to one of the kids on my team, then we got a 9:15 start with two others before it got too hot or crowded. Did a similar route to how I did last time there, starting at Barton Springs, up the Hill of Life, then down the ridge route, then back. 2 hours 15 minutes with only stop a photo-op at the top of HOL. Followed by a plunge into Barton Springs and lunch at Torchy's Tacos on Lamar. I got in 8 hours or riding on my 3 day weekend! WooHoo!
    Here's me and the kids, two aged 14 and one 13, and boy they can ride!

    You're a lucky man!
  • 07-05-2011
    jason333
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by chardog View Post
    I just posted a ride at RPR for July 2. See separate thread on mtbr as well as on bikemojo.com: http://www.bikemojo.com/speak/showth...aturday-7-2-11

    I was back in Louisiana for the weekend :(
  • 07-05-2011
    austin_bike
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bear View Post
    The phrase you're looking for is "magically avoided" not "missing" :D

    Alas, I remember those 105F rides. Strangely with fondness. Part of my personal training was learning to weigh myself before and after summer rides to see if I needed to panic about rehydration or not. Any time I ended up more than 2 pounds lighter after a ride I made a point of drinking 1+ gallons of water/eletrolyte mix before going to bed!

    I wish we should share the love a bit though, we have plenty of water over here - too much often-times.

    If I had a dollar for every time you and I rode a 100+ GB ride for 20+ miles, I could afford to buy beer for everyone on the board.

    You should come down here some time.
  • 07-08-2011
    sooner518
    Jason, I think I met you out at Walnut a few weeks back. you're on a white carbon Nomad right? im the guy with the green Superlight. i got your number, but then jailbroke my phone like 3 days later and lost it. haha

    anyways, i ride WC 2 or 3 times a week usually after work around 5. its close by and its entertaining, though not technically or aerobically challenging. wish i lived closer to the greenbelt, but getting down Mopac at 430 just adds way too much stress to my day. itll have to be a weekend destination.
  • 07-08-2011
    Fat Bob
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by austin_bike View Post
    If I had a dollar for every time you and I rode a 100+ GB ride for 20+ miles, I could afford to buy beer for everyone on the board.

    You should come down here some time.

    Get a room you two... sheesh!
  • 07-22-2011
    jason333
    So small insignificant update.
    I've met a few riders from here on Walnut Creek, and all have been extremely helpful and nice.
    I have leanred id guess 80% of the trail, and make a loop out of:
    Take a right and follow the trail up the road toward the maint shack and dive in over there. Ride the pretty flat loop to the rocky drop/down with the berm. From there I make my way to the root creek crossing. Cross over there, and then start the climb to power line. Power line to log loop, then up the hill to the levee. from there i start to work my way to the pool.

    Takes me about 45-55 mins to do that loop, and I am pretty tired. I take a few brakes here and there, as it is pretty warm.

    The lvely thing is you guys have 0 humidity, so a breeze + shade cools you down quickly.

    What would be the next trail? Walnut is very fun, but I'd like to fid something like toy r us for 3 miles (jokes).

    I rode toys r us 2x, and it was insanely fun (the jump line trail). Its a bit of a hike back up as I don't know another way up.

    So anyway loving the city and the bike scene here is crazy.

    Thanks for all of the help guys/ gals!
  • 07-22-2011
    chardog
    Check out Reveille Peak Ranch near Burnet.

    There is a big group ride there tomorrow at 8:30 am. It's about 1 hour from Cedar Park.

    http://www.bikemojo.com/speak/showth...t-23-July-0830.

    http://rprtexas.com/activities/mountainbiking/

    http://www.austinbike.com/mtb/reveillepeak/index.asp
  • 07-22-2011
    j-cos
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jason333 View Post
    So small insignificant update.
    I've met a few riders from here on Walnut Creek, and all have been extremely helpful and nice.
    I have leanred id guess 80% of the trail, and make a loop out of:
    Take a right and follow the trail up the road toward the maint shack and dive in over there. Ride the pretty flat loop to the rocky drop/down with the berm. From there I make my way to the root creek crossing. Cross over there, and then start the climb to power line. Power line to log loop, then up the hill to the levee. from there i start to work my way to the pool.

    Takes me about 45-55 mins to do that loop, and I am pretty tired. I take a few brakes here and there, as it is pretty warm.

    The lvely thing is you guys have 0 humidity, so a breeze + shade cools you down quickly.

    What would be the next trail? Walnut is very fun, but I'd like to fid something like toy r us for 3 miles (jokes).

    I rode toys r us 2x, and it was insanely fun (the jump line trail). Its a bit of a hike back up as I don't know another way up.

    So anyway loving the city and the bike scene here is crazy.

    Thanks for all of the help guys/ gals!

    Hey Jason, Check out Meetup.com and look up Austin Mountain Bikers Group. There's a beginner ride group that heads out to bull creek every friday. They usually do 2 laps at 5 miles each. they meet up at parking lot between laps for those that want to leave.
  • 07-22-2011
    jason333
    Sounds good J-cos!
    RPR may be a bit too soon for me. I am still building steam for all of the mountains around here.
  • 07-22-2011
    chardog
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jason333 View Post
    Sounds good J-cos!
    RPR may be a bit too soon for me. I am still building steam for all of the mountains around here.

    Word is there will be a contingent of novice riders in attendance.
  • 07-27-2011
    LonghornRider
    I live in Steiner Ranch and have ridden a few trails. They are fun, keep in mind I'm new. Many spots are extremely rocky that I have to get off and walk through it or down it. Some have 1 foot drops, which doesnt sound like alot but when you have 4 in a row, downhill, it's precarious for someone like me. I'd be interested to know if others ride down stuff like that. I don't trust my abilities yet.

    In any case, if you ever want to ride in Steiner and my slowness wouldn't bother you < I can show you where some are. Most seem quick thus far though, only like 20 mins for the ones I've gone on. There are apparently like 20 miles out here but I just need to go by center and get a map.
  • 08-04-2011
    jason333
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by LonghornRider View Post
    I live in Steiner Ranch and have ridden a few trails. They are fun, keep in mind I'm new. Many spots are extremely rocky that I have to get off and walk through it or down it. Some have 1 foot drops, which doesnt sound like alot but when you have 4 in a row, downhill, it's precarious for someone like me. I'd be interested to know if others ride down stuff like that. I don't trust my abilities yet.

    In any case, if you ever want to ride in Steiner and my slowness wouldn't bother you < I can show you where some are. Most seem quick thus far though, only like 20 mins for the ones I've gone on. There are apparently like 20 miles out here but I just need to go by center and get a map.

    Where is Steiner Ranch?
  • 08-04-2011
    texacajun
    Steiner Ranch is a big neighborhood on Hwy 620 across from Mansfield dam on the North side of the dam (opposite side from Lakeway). Mansfield's the dam on Lake Travis, not the one in town. It's a private neighborhood trail system, not public land. Gotta go with a Steiner resident.
  • 08-04-2011
    texacajun
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jason333 View Post
    Wierd..I see people post in this thread from the Texas forum, but when I enter the thread I can't see any new posts. I know replies can be throughout the, but that's not the issue....weird.
    I met Jcos last week. Really nice guy (single speed???), and met another guy form New roads. Lovin it so far.

    dood...missed this before. There's somebody else from New Roads area that mtb's in this town?

    Hell I get odd enough looks if I road ride around there. Standard reaction to my mtb when I'm visiting the 'rents is everybody says they owned 4 wheelers that cost less and you don't have to pedal it. :rolleyes:
  • 08-07-2011
    jason333
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by texacajun View Post
    Steiner Ranch is a big neighborhood on Hwy 620 across from Mansfield dam on the North side of the dam (opposite side from Lakeway). Mansfield's the dam on Lake Travis, not the one in town. It's a private neighborhood trail system, not public land. Gotta go with a Steiner resident.

    AHH so no go for riding there then. Pretty cool to have your own private trail.
  • 08-08-2011
    mtbscott
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by texacajun View Post
    Steiner Ranch is a big neighborhood on Hwy 620 across from Mansfield dam on the North side of the dam (opposite side from Lakeway). Mansfield's the dam on Lake Travis, not the one in town. It's a private neighborhood trail system, not public land. Gotta go with a Steiner resident.

    My very first mountainbike ride was at Steiner Ranch back in February of 1996. It really was a working ranch then, the housing development of the same name had just started getting underway. I had a friend then that lived in the old neighborhood at the very end of Steiner Ranch Road on Lake Austin and a group of 10 or so of us left from there. I couldn't begin to tell you where all we went, but it was very HARD naturally for someone on their very first ride, and also using clipless pedals for the very first time, so I was bloody and battered by the time we got home...but all I could think of on the way home was I had to buy one of these, and I did just a few weeks later.
    There was tons of trail out there then and hardly anyone riding it. We had to climb a few fences and go through some gates, but when we saw some ranchhands a few times, they just waved at us.
    I suspect much of what I rode is long gone, buried under the subdivisions, but I'd be curious to see what the current stuff looks like.
  • 08-08-2011
    kwrides
    Awesome story! ^^^
  • 09-01-2011
    Austin_MTB
    Anyone recommending Mary Moore Searight? Ran this little gauntlet yesterday and it was pretty fun. No elevation change but man are there some rocks out there.
  • 09-08-2011
    scotty s
    I ride Mary Moore every Wednesday. It is just a few blocks from my office. Nothing technical but a fun little trail!!
  • 09-09-2011
    Austin_MTB
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by scotty s View Post
    I ride Mary Moore every Wednesday. It is just a few blocks from my office. Nothing technical but a fun little trail!!

    Might see you out there sometime then. I ride almost every day in the evenings around 6:30-7.
  • 09-09-2011
    scotty s
    I ride with 2 other guys from work. We meet there every Wed at 2:30. We are gone by the time you get out there but feel free to join us anytime.
  • 01-26-2012
    heinhorn
    Anyone have a guess if BCGB will be ride-able this weekend? I'm coming up from Houston and have new cannondale that needs to learn what rocks look like. I know ya'll got a bunch of rain yesterday and aren't sure where to check trail conditions. Thanks!
  • 01-26-2012
    CharacterZero
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by heinhorn View Post
    ...learn what rocks look like....

    City Park will be ride-able. :thumbsup:
  • 01-26-2012
    heinhorn
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    City Park will be ride-able. :thumbsup:

    I might have to check that out. Thanks for the reply! I found a BCGB hotline online that says the trails are open. Do they not close the trail if it's muddy?


    I was taught a month ago
    To bide my time and take it slow
    But then I learned just yesterday
    To rush and never waste the day

    :band:
  • 01-26-2012
    chardog
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by heinhorn View Post
    Anyone have a guess if BCGB will be ride-able this weekend? I'm coming up from Houston and have new cannondale that needs to learn what rocks look like. I know ya'll got a bunch of rain yesterday and aren't sure where to check trail conditions. Thanks!

    I would side with Pace Bend, Muleshoe or Reveille Peak Ranch which have much less mud issues than BCGB. I personally will be at RPR Saturday doing some GPS work.
  • 01-27-2012
    CharacterZero
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by heinhorn View Post
    I might have to check that out. Thanks for the reply! I found a BCGB hotline online that says the trails are open. Do they not close the trail if it's muddy?


    I was taught a month ago
    To bide my time and take it slow
    But then I learned just yesterday
    To rush and never waste the day

    :band:

    Rock on man.

    BCGB trail conditions...might could be fine, but hard to tell just yet. If the landline says it is open, then go for it, but be prepared to jet if the conditions are conducive to rutting/damage. I

    'd prefer to break in a bike on some terrain I am familiar with, so hitting CP on a new rig might not be the best idea...but City Park is always a good idea, especially as you get the lines dialed.
  • 01-27-2012
    heinhorn
    Thanks for the input guys!
  • 01-27-2012
    CLMcLovin
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by heinhorn View Post
    Anyone have a guess if BCGB will be ride-able this weekend? I'm coming up from Houston and have new cannondale that needs to learn what rocks look like. I know ya'll got a bunch of rain yesterday and aren't sure where to check trail conditions. Thanks!

    I was considering heading somewhere in the Austin area as well. Also leaving from Houston since all my normal trails here are under water.
  • 01-27-2012
    CharacterZero
    Yeah, there is some prelim reporting over at bikemojo (local forum) that says it is too wet, but I think ol' huckleberry always rides with foggy glasses on or something.

    Pace Bend is a ton of fun - flowy and fast and should be in primo condition, a very safe bet.
  • 01-28-2012
    austin_bike
    When the BCGB recording says open, they are talking about the main trail. My guess is that anything off the main trail will be pretty muddy still.

    I am heading to city park this morning but will be on my backup bike, so those two laps are going to be slow, and probably hurt. Expecting to walk a lot more than normal. Pace bend would be a better bet than the GB.
  • 01-31-2012
    Puffy Tacos
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Austin_MTB View Post
    Anyone recommending Mary Moore Searight? Ran this little gauntlet yesterday and it was pretty fun. No elevation change but man are there some rocks out there.

    My house backs up to Searight so I ride it regularly. Good loops, minor elevation changes, decent flow. Not a lot of bike traffic. Good for a 30-45 minute ride. My 8yo son on rides with me there.

    Another decent mini trail system in the area is Longview Park near Westgate/William Cannon. Google it.
  • 02-03-2012
    kill phil
    So when you ride searight, are you riding the disc course? Only trails I saw out there were pretty tame. Longview is a few blocks from my house. Decent trails for a quickie.
  • 02-04-2012
    Puffy Tacos
    No - in the main part of the park. Here's a map of some of the main trails.

    Here's a map of the Longview/Stephenson Preserve trails.