Moving to Austin- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Moving to Austin

So my job is moving me to Austin and i'm definitely looking forward to it. I currently live in Houston but I have visited Austin many times before. I've ridden all the trails here in Houston but i've never had the chance to ride Austin (RHR) is the nearest. So my question is, what trail to hit first to pop my Austin cherry?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Hard not to say the Green Belt man....it's an institution.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    or Thumper.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Walnut, because it's a lot funner before you ride the other trails.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Do Walnut trail...I really had a blast on that trail than Greenbelt. Then do the Waco trail the following weekend, and it will up the tempo better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Depends on what/how you like to ride. Walnut is the last place I would recommend, unless you want to deal with dogs running off-leash and pooping everywhere, trails that have the technical difficulty of riding on a sidewalk, and crowds of bikers that think they're racing & run everyone else off the trails. It has a nice pump track and can be fast & flowy, but isn't my cup of tea as it lacks anything remotely challenging (other than the pump track). I guess it isn't bad for beginners or to get a quick spin in during off-peak hours, but isn't a place I would recommend for seeing what Austin really has to offer.

If you want something a little more all-around, the Green Belt is the place to go, as you can stay on the main trail for minor challenges, but can get all the tech you want on the many, many side-trails. I would recommend going with a guide the first few times, as it is a maze of trails. MTBer's in Austin also know City Park, which is pretty gnarly if you're looking for tough stuff that is easy to navigate. The Goodwater Loop at Lake Georgetown is a 27+ mile loop of rock that is fun, but doesn't have much elevation, so it is more of an XC trail than FR--it too is easy to navigate as there are no side-trails. Other good trails you'll need to hit up that have something for everyone are Pace Bend & Reveille Peak, both of which are about an hour from downtown.

I could go on & on as there are tons of trails really close by, but those should get you started & get you a feel for what is around. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Some great riding. I'd say the Greenbelt has most to offer to start. My co-worker Peter, leads a shop ride every Saturday and uses both Walnut and Greenbelt. With the Greenbelt you'll get a chance to ride some side trails with locals to show you around, which helps you find the sweet stuff.

http://www.mellowjohnnys.com/mellow-mountain-ride-2/

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks for all the info guys, I think I may start with the greenbelt since I prefer more of a challenge when I ride. I 'll also probably look into the group ride as well, since it seems like a good way to meet some of the local riders.

mtbr member
    Both Walnut and the BCGB are exceedingly popular. The Greenbelt is usually choked with hikers, dogs, hippies, rockclimbers, free-range children, and racer wanna-bes that have never heard of trail ettiquette. Both become less populated and the trails more challenging the further you get from the parking lots. Try them both to get a taste of Austin, then get with a club or group that will show you some of the lesser-known trails and areas.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike
    Need to get RPR in so you can add it to your list

Members who have read this thread: 0