Moving to Austin- Mtbr.com
    2 minutes turkish

Moving to Austin

I'm moving to Austin in a few weeks and I wanted to get a heads up on the trails in the area.

For the most part I ride all mountain and shuttle stuff. That is to say, I tolerate climbs so i can go down. I know there isn't much for mountains in Austin.

I'm looking for more aggressive and technical trails. I'm not much for cross country and I don't where spandex.

Tips?

Chilling out
    l,

I think you'll find some stuff to enjoy riding in A town, but you're going to want to embrace a bit of the Inner Climber because you don't get anything here without "paying" for it, and there's nothing that I'd qualifiy anywhere in comparison to a shuttle-run from the likes of AZ, CO, UT, or NM, for sure.

Depending what you call All Mountain I could certainly get you started, connecting on a BCGB ( Barton Creek Greenbelt ) ride sometime.

There's other people with other more specific area knowledge that may also be able to show you some of the other local trails too, it's a great riding community here and I doubt you'll be disappointed. Who knows, maybe Bizarro will notice this and chime in too.

Where are you coming FROM and what have you been riding?

2 minutes turkish
    I'm coming from California by way of Hawaii

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    My site has all the data you will need.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike
    My site has all the data you will need.
    ditto.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by locustfist
    I'm coming from California by way of Hawaii
    ab's got the "beta" but you'll really want to hook up with some rides to really get you started.

there's a mess of us like exercising our longer travelled bikes around here in different ways, so while you'll miss the long shuttle run style dh stuff you'll still find plenty of fun i am sure.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Yes, bear has it right. We are mostly an XC-type trails. You can find some places to use 6" of travel, but most places are 4-5" of fun.

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Austin really kind of sucks. If you can find any trail that points downhill, you'll be at the bottom before you've taken three breaths. Plus, every technical aspect of that trail will have been dumbed down by idiot asshats who think every trail should be smooth at they think their pick up lines are.

Also, the roads and traffic suck. The heat is ridiculous. Food is mediocre. And forget buying tickets to any music events like SXSW or ACL b/c you have to be rich from an IPO to be able to afford them.

There are much better places to live than Austin.

D

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dburatti
    Austin really kind of sucks. If you can find any trail that points downhill, you'll be at the bottom before you've taken three breaths. Plus, every technical aspect of that trail will have been dumbed down by idiot asshats who think every trail should be smooth at they think their pick up lines are.

Also, the roads and traffic suck. The heat is ridiculous. Food is mediocre. And forget buying tickets to any music events like SXSW or ACL b/c you have to be rich from an IPO to be able to afford them.

D
    Well, it appears someone is in a good mood on this warm, sunny Sunday
    Pedigre

BC
    mtbr member
    Austin is about as good as you will get in Texas. Very rocky technical, but as others have said, you will be climbing most everything you go down. Up down up down, but very steep relative to mountain type trails. Most multi use mountain trails don't have near the steep grades we have here in spots. We have climbs that last minutes instead of hours, but they can be brutal with no "flatish" recovery areas. A 5=6" bike around 30 lbs is ideal (for me). Don't bother with lockout type shocks, as they are of no use here unless you like to hit the road.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LAKESNAKE
    Don't bother with lockout type shocks, as they are of no use here unless you like to hit the road.
    I disagree. Unless one doesn't plan on ever riding outside the city limits...which is a sad thought.
    Pedigre

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    lol. like killeen or harker heights where traffic is lighter, housing affordable and the trails are minutes away on either 1 of 2 lakes. but really, i love Austin. just dont make it there much given it does take $$ and time.

D

tcufrog02

D
    Austin is awesome...I wish I could move back.

mtbr member

D
    Wow. I would like to know what Austin did to you to cause such hatred. It is a great city. There isn't anything that would qualify as a shuttle run but plenty of fun and challenging trails to ride. I will be out riding later this evening, enjoying sunny Austin, TX, then eating some delicious Austin food, and come Oct., attending ACL like I do every year on my modest salary. I guess Austin isn't for everyone, but that's what makes it great. Those people don't live here!

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by notyal
    Wow. I would like to know what Austin did to you to cause such hatred.
    I'm a native Austinite who has lived in Austin....28-30 years of my life. I've also lived in San Diego, Memphis, Jacksonville (FL,) Atlanta, and Madison. Madison is the only place that even compares to Austin, but it gets too damn cold up there to live there year round.

I was being sarcastic in my earlier post. I wouldn't live anywhere else in Texas; no where else is liberal enough for me. I just want people to stop moving to Austin and changing the things about it that they don't like. It's not the Austin I grew up in. The size I can handle,; the changes I don't want to.

D

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Greenbelt.

Go SOLAR...
    Lived in SoCal for 18 years before moving to Austin. It is very similiar in many ways.

mtbr member
    I have an awesome place for sale off of Lake Travis. It comes with a 4.5 mile mountain
    biking trail.

Yep.
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Plus I am sure that patrick's trail is not crushed granite.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

D

Damn, Did someone slap your mama in Austin or something. If you are a laid back person you will not find a better place in Texas then Austin. Most of the people are friendly and you can find whatever type of food you like here. SXSW is more of industry thing thus why its held during UTs spring break but you can catch more then your share of free and cheap concerts that week. And ACL fest is awesome 3 day tickets are about 180 bucks, it doesnt get much better then that if you are really into music. Then there is live music pretty much everyday of the week somewhere in town. It's called the live music capital of the world for a reason.
    Austin_bike's website is pretty awesome and so is the greenbelt. It might not be New mexico for trails but its fun.

Go SOLAR...
    He was joking......

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by larlev
    He was joking......
    Hey Larry! How've you been? Are you still riding? I'm living in Madison, WI, this spring, summer, and fall working at Trek building new trails and maintaining existing trails. Good stuff.

D

Go SOLAR...
    Hey Larry! How've you been? Are you still riding? I'm living in Madison, WI, this spring, summer, and fall working at Trek building new trails and maintaining existing trails. Good stuff.

D
    Doing good D, still living in Taylor with the wife and kids. My wife was asking about you the other day when I took her riding at the lake. "she says this place could be good if I did a little work".....it definetly would take some work.

I just got back riding again, I had some back fractures that kept me from it. Sounds like working at Trek would be killer. Hows your grandma doing, I have thought about going by there on several occasions and something or other comes up. It never fails.

What brought you to WI.?

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Doing good D, still living in Taylor with the wife and kids. My wife was asking about you the other day when I took her riding at the lake. "she says this place could be good if I did a little work".....it definetly would take some work.

I just got back riding again, I had some back fractures that kept me from it. Sounds like working at Trek would be killer. Hows your grandma doing, I have thought about going by there on several occasions and something or other comes up. It never fails.

What brought you to WI.?
    Ouch! Back fractures don't sound fun. I hope you've healed well.

Grandma had a rough year these past 12 months. She's almost 95 and still lives on the farm. An aunt and uncle moved in with her for the duration. She has good days and not so good days.

Trek brought me to WI. I was hired as a contractor by them a couple of years ago to help with their trails. They liked what I did and hired me back early last year. While here, they asked if I knew anyone who maintains trails and could maintain their trails. They were basically looking for someone to work at a rate a bit above minimum wage for laborers.

They asked me a few times if I knew anyone, and I finally asked them if they wanted me to throw my name in the hat, but that, if I did, the position would have to be more than what they've been considering. So, we agreed to two years of me working on the trails with almost free reign. I told them I don't do winters and that when the snow flies I head south. They agreed. I'm here until October or November.

My boss wants me back next year, but my business (Talon Trails LLC) has suffered b/c I've been unable to promote it as much working for Trek. Check out my web site www.talontrails.com. I've been in business almost five years now.

D

Go SOLAR...
    Man that looks great....I wish my refrigeration knowledge could be used somehow in biking. I would be in heaven if I could earn a decent living and do what I truly love to do. Maybe I should start a portable freezer, fridge, business for races.

Good luck with everything...lets ride when your in town. I am in Port Lavaca working 4 days a week, then home 3.

mtbr member
    um...isn't this why we have email?

just a thought
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedigre
    um...isn't this why we have email?

just a thought
    I thought email was for soliciting people for money.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike
    I thought email was for soliciting people for money.
    That, too, is a use of email when you desire to contact someone directly. However, I wouldn't rate it as the most efficient method when one is attempting to get the masses involved.
    Pedigre

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Man that looks great....I wish my refrigeration knowledge could be used somehow in biking. I would be in heaven if I could earn a decent living and do what I truly love to do. Maybe I should start a portable freezer, fridge, business for races.

Good luck with everything...lets ride when your in town. I am in Port Lavaca working 4 days a week, then home 3.
    Funny you should mention refrigeration. I have a universal license but have never used it. I suck as a mechanic and hate it, too. Small business is where it's at, Larry! Start your own.

I'd be great to catch up with you over beers and ride again.

D

Go SOLAR...
    Funny you should mention refrigeration. I have a universal license but have never used it. I suck as a mechanic and hate it, too. Small business is where it's at, Larry! Start your own.

I'd be great to catch up with you over beers and ride again.

D
    We will definitely do that.....

Resident Texican

I go to UT

But I'm new to "real" mountain biking. Like everyone else said, the Greenbelt is a great way to get a feel for what Austin's riding is kind of about. However, if you want some really gnarly technical stuff then definitely head out to Emma Long (a.k.a. City Park). That place is pretty ridiculous in places. I have yet to ride it, but I have hiked most of the trails there. I've heard Reimer's Ranch, about 15-20 minutes west of Austin, also has some great riding.

I've only lived here two years, and I just got into riding this year, but Austin has some great trails that are a lot of fun to ride. The Greenbelt is definitely my favorite (because it is only ~10 minutes away).

By the by, I don't wear spandex either, but I like the XC aspect of Austin.
    [email protected]%K! Where the hell did that tree come from?!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Hiking at CP is actually illegal. It's a motorcycle/bike trail and hiking is not allowed. Watch out when you do it out there, with all of the hikers that complain about bikers, this is the one place where the tables are turned and some might push the issue with you.

mtbr member
    You can either embrace XC or your couch. The couch is the better option most of the year. Most of the year it's either too hot, or too muddy to ride in Austin.

But, in or near Austin, try Emma Long City Park, Walnut Creek, Rocky Hill Ranch (Smithville), and Muleshoe bend all have fun trails. But, no shuttling and no downhill.

Also, unlike what one of the posters said, the food is awesome.

Go SOLAR...
    Quote Originally Posted by dsnow23
    You can either embrace XC or your couch. The couch is the better option most of the year. Most of the year it's either too hot, or too muddy to ride in Austin.

But, in or near Austin, try Emma Long City Park, Walnut Creek, Rocky Hill Ranch (Smithville), and Muleshoe bend all have fun trails. But, no shuttling and no downhill.

Also, unlike what one of the posters said, the food is awesome.
    Too Hot or Muddy.....what the hell are you talking about?

mtbr member
    For me, June through September is too hot to ride in Austin unless I hit the trails at the crack of dawn. People who have lived places that aren't oppressively hot actually think that mountain biking when the temperature is in the 90s or 100s is crazy and a good way to have a heat stroke. FYI I've spent about 30 years of my life living in Texas. And the summer sucks there for mountain biking.

Just my opinion. I'm sure there are others that feel differently.

Go SOLAR...
    For me, June through September is too hot to ride in Austin unless I hit the trails at the crack of dawn. People who have lived places that aren't oppressively hot actually think that mountain biking when the temperature is in the 90s or 100s is crazy and a good way to have a heat stroke. FYI I've spent about 30 years of my life living in Texas. And the summer sucks there for mountain biking.

Just my opinion. I'm sure there are others that feel differently.
    It's not that hot. I guess if you never go outside then it might be an issue. Your muddy comment is the one that struck me as weird. We just had 3-4" of rain last week and the trails are perfect, so I'm dumbfounded to your statement.

But you are correct on one thing....everyone has an opinion.

mtbr member
    It's not that hot. I guess if you never go outside then it might be an issue. Your muddy comment is the one that struck me as weird. We just had 3-4" of rain last week and the trails are perfect, so I'm dumbfounded to your statement.

But you are correct on one thing....everyone has an opinion.
    Yep. They dry fast when it's 90 degrees out. You might recall that I said it's usually EITHER too hot, OR too muddy. Not necessarily both at the same time. So, last week, too muddy, this week, too hot (for me).

Go SOLAR...
    Yep. They dry fast when it's 90 degrees out. You might recall that I said it's usually EITHER too hot, OR too muddy. Not necessarily both at the same time. So, last week, too muddy, this week, too hot (for me).
    Ah come on....I'm heading to Lake GT right now, lets go.

mtbr member
    I actually might be in Austin in about a week and a half or so, which is why I am in the Texas forum. Hoping to get a morning ride in while I'm there. But, I'm a wuss about the heat. I'll PM you if I'm going to ride.

mtbr member
    The heat sucks, but the only things you can do are deal with it or cry about it. Just pack plenty of water. Before long you will get used to it and ride circles around the "its just too hot" crowd. Just don't make me ride when its below 40!

Go SOLAR...
    Well it was 83 today....perfect day for a ride. I guess if you work in the a/c all day it might be difficult. Seeing how I am in and out of it all day it's no big deal to me.

Go SOLAR...
    Quote Originally Posted by notyal
    The heat sucks, but the only things you can do are deal with it or cry about it. Just pack plenty of water. Before long you will get used to it and ride circles around the "its just too hot" crowd. Just don't make me ride when its below 40!
    LMAO...yeah me too the cold's a *****.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    LMAO...yeah me too the cold's a *****.
    yeah anything below 60s cold.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Having ridden in chicago at 20 below, I believe it can never be too hot. Just bring extra water.

If you are here on a weekend I can give you a 20+ mile tour of the best riding in austin. Just bring extra water, I'll even start you early. The more you ride the better the beer tastes at the end.

Members who have read this thread: 0