Moving to Austin- Mtbr.com

May 2008

Moving to Austin

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum as you can see. Anyways I'll be moving to Austin at the end of June and really want to get back into mountain biking. I lived in Houston for 6 years and rode quite often there at memorial park. I had a 2002 stumpjumper fsr with disc brakes. It did me well for that park, nothing too technical, I had alot of fun with that bike, but I moved to South Florida in 2006 and sold my bike for some reason. Well I need to get a new bike (or used) when I get to Austin. I'll probably ride to work often about 8 miles one way just to get my fitness level back up, my budget will not be as much now as it was when I bought the stumpjumper. I am looking to spend around 800-1000 range. I like riding technical trails, not too much on huge drops and if there was something more than 15 feet I would probably find a way around it to be honest. For some reason I am considering a hardtail bike. More so for cost reasons, I would rather have a higher end hard tail than a lower end full suspension. My question for you all is how is riding a hardtail in Austin going to be? Does anyone do it? Should I wait and save some money and just get a full suspension? I'm 5'5 and around 135, so I really don't need anything heavy duty, where is good places in Austin to find used bikes or a new bike store that you all recommend? I would like to stick with specialized for the quality and because I have never rode anything else. Any suggestions??

Lucky...
    Apr 2008
    Go see the guys at Hammerhead Cycles, Cycle Progression, or Ozone. Good guys, and they know bikes.

You can certainly ride a rigid bike here in Austin (I did for 10 years), but a FS couch is way more comfy!

mtbr member
    Hey Campbell....welcome to Austin! I ride some of the gnarlier trails in town 4-6 days a week on my trusty ti hardtail. Granted, I'm usually hitting them on the way to or from work (I prefer bike commuting myself too) so most of my rides are under an hour and a half. I went out with my neighbor on his 6" travel Enduro SL and he definitely stayed fresher longer, but we ride all the same trails and my Mojo's definitely a lot lighter and snappier in the tight stuff. Don't get me wrong, full suspension is the ideal for mountain biking in Austin,and I'm lusting for a new 5" travel bike too, but don't have the scratch right now..... I certainly don't let the lack of full sus steer me away from "the good trails". I put a thudbuster post on my bike to take the edge off, and I ride it every day and have a freakin blast. If I had a grand to spend I'd be thinking the same thing you are, and I'd give some 29er hardtails a test ride...the big wheels should smooth things out. Go the Bicycle Sport Shop at S. Lamar & Barton Springs....righteous shop, big specialized dealer, lots of cool rentals/demos, and they're dialed on the 29er thing.

i am, therefore, i ride
    Man...... I wish I could move to Austin too. At least, you're moving to the right city. Austin has the best trails in Texas, IMO.
    "Life is good..... enjoy it !!!!!"

mtbr member
    and for all your riding needs.. http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have only ridden rigid and hardtails in the Austin area, and I don't personally feel a need for full suspension. I recently added a steel hardtail 29er to my collection and it has made a big difference in smoothing out the ride and helping me clear technical sections I hadn't been able to do on my 26". Do check out austinbike.com for a list of trails, with reviews and pictures. If you are wanting a different bike, look into renting one from a local bike shop and try it out on the trails to see if you feel the need for full suspension. It really is a matter of personal preference.

tcufrog02
    I wish I could move back...maybe some day.

May 2008
    I guess budget wise it would be best as of right now to get a hard tail anyways. I will probably end up getting a full suspension later on in a year or so. What type of hardtail would you all recommend getting to try and stay in the 800-1000 dollar range. Maybe even cheaper if possible.I just want something to hold me over for a year at the longest. I love specialized, but then again I will consider other options. The new gary fisher piranha seems nice, so does the cannondale f5. That way I can still ride alot, save my money and get what I really want, a Specialized SX Trail later on.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Check out bicycle sport shop. They may have some rental bikes that they are letting go cheap. They keep them in shape.

http://www.bicyclesportshop.com
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by nico2me
    Man...... I wish I could move to Austin too. At least, you're moving to the right city. Austin has the best trails in Texas, IMO.
    you need to come ride cameron park.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Welcome

Welcome to Austin. We have cool trails. Walnut Creek will be the place to start and will be pretty close to what you were riding at Memorial. I have ridden HTs on all the trails here, but I do have a full stable and must admit that FS rigs are my tool of choice for most of the trails, except for WC.

You mentioned drops, and if a 15 footer is your threshold for getting off and going around, you should have a FS rig. You will quickly find your way to Emma Long/CP and FS is best there. FS also make Georgetown much more enjoyable.

At $800, check out this month's issue of MB Action. They reviewed 4 trail bikes at $800 price point and had VERY good things to say about the Giant Yukon FX. I would definitely check it out before committing myself to a HT as my do-anything bike - although you can do everything here on a HT.

Good luck and see you on the trails.

Members who have read this thread: 0