Missin' the mountains- Mtbr.com

Apr 2006

Missin' the mountains

Just moved back to Texas from NM and I'm really craving those mountain trails! Anybody feel my pain? Got a quick fix for my withdrawals?

Aug 2006
    i moved from wales to texas. i feel the same way.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    i know what you mean .i am originally from Colorado and lived in New Mexico for awhile and loved the mountain riding.

i still have fun down hear though.

mtbr member
    I just got here (Frisco) from AZ last week. Has anyone been up to Mena, AR? Is it worth the drive as far as "mountain" riding?
    "Pour water in the tea pot and it becomes the tea pot. Be water my friend." - Bruce Lee

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I was in AR last weekend and rode the Womble trails... It was excellent singletrack with more elevation change than you will get in TX. I'm sure you can find some good stuff out there as there are real mountains, not just big hills like we have here in Central and North Texas.

In exile
    Mena is supposedly not as fun as the stuff in Northern AR, but sounds ok. I have not been there. I have been to Devil's Den and it's good stuff.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I miss themountains too and I have lived in Ft Worth since I was 1....

mtbr member
    I drove through texas twice in June and that is enough for me to miss the mountains. I refuse to live there. Here is an interesting link though: Oklahoma mtn biking
    I'm not sure where you are in texas but I was surprised to find this.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

amar la vida de dos niner
    Quote Originally Posted by texasbiker
    Just moved back to Texas from NM and I'm really craving those mountain trails! Anybody feel my pain? Got a quick fix for my withdrawals?

Umm, move back?? Just kidding.

Funny, I made a trip to Colorado in June. My first time in the mountains. It was a great trip with wonderful riding.

And when I got back to Texas, I had a new appreciation for the skills that our trails require. True, the scenery isn't as pretty (though some would disagree with me), but I think the experience of our XC biking is much more intense and demanding.

So I guess my suggested "quick fix" is: love what ya got.

Happy trails!
    clair
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpionwoman
    but I think the experience of our XC biking is much more intense and demanding.
    I'm with you Clair, I've gotten to be a much more technically capable and confident rider since moving here in 2000.

When I ended up going to Utah (Moab) the first time in '02 I only had two issues to grapple. 1) Believing in slickrock; and 2) vertical exposure.

Technically speaking, I didn't find it to be a problem. Of course, how it's four years later and I've grown more and would surely be more comfortable with even more stuff.

Disclaimer: I am not into, or will ever be intentionally, working the "big" obstacles and drops - just not my thing.

bon vivant
    Mar 2004
    The penalty for failure is lower in TX than the mountain states. You go off the trail at Rockledge and at worst, you fall maybe 8 feet. Do that on some of the better NM tracks and you'll find it's a lot longer drop.

All I miss about Santa Fe is the riding and the summer temps. All the rest is better here.

Wooo YEAAAH!
    Oct 2006
    I'm missing Austin.

Just moved to SoCal. A little north of LA in Ventura county. There are a lot of trails out here so I have a lot of exploring to do. Climbing mountains is crazy. Its a lot of work (exercise?) but coming back down is a lot of fun. But man I miss my trips from shoal creek, to Lake austin, to barton creek greenbelt and back. Oh, and stopping for lunch along the way.

Austin is a great place to live if you're a mountain biker. I swear I think that at least once every time I'm out riding.

But I bet that after you get used to the climbing and get to know the trails, you'll discover a similar enjoyment where you are now. Have fun!

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Another option in Ark is the Syllamo Trail System. The web site looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by loco-gringo
    Mena is supposedly not as fun as the stuff in Northern AR, but sounds ok. I have not been there. I have been to Devil's Den and it's good stuff.

mtbr member
    I think that if you can clear everything in Cameron Park on SS when it is 100F outside + humidity then you can do anything, anywhere, anytime.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr

I s it just me---

but we do have at least two super duper easy trails I can think of---lake lake and rocky Hill---yeah there's some climbing at Rocky Hill but the last 2 times out there--well it's about the only trail i can think of where there's no drops/ledges to speak of--for that i'm thankful.

Quote Originally Posted by bear
    I'm with you Clair, I've gotten to be a much more technically capable and confident rider since moving here in 2000.

When I ended up going to Utah (Moab) the first time in '02 I only had two issues to grapple. 1) Believing in slickrock; and 2) vertical exposure.

Technically speaking, I didn't find it to be a problem. Of course, how it's four years later and I've grown more and would surely be more comfortable with even more stuff.

Disclaimer: I am not into, or will ever be intentionally, working the "big" obstacles and drops - just not my thing.

Quote Originally Posted by poff
    I think that if you can clear everything in Cameron Park on SS when it is 100F outside + humidity then you can do anything, anywhere, anytime.
    That is some fun trail! And all that new stuff! You guys in Waco must be really happy about that.

Jul 2006
    I just left the hill country this weekend and hit up mule shoe bend north of austin. I must say after doing 6 miles there memorial in houston is a ride in the park. I'll be here all week. Please tip your waitress. thank you.

Got Mojo?
    I agree with this statement.

aLaN <-- did not clear everything at Cameron Park.... But sure as hell tried!

Had a blast going downhill though...

Pic from '04 Waco NORBA Nat
    Attached Images Attached Images
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    Looks like Vertex, fun place to climb too.

Got Mojo?
    Looks like Vertex, fun place to climb too.
    it is the downhill run before the Cave of the Minotaur. (?lil Colorado?)

I bet it would be fun to climb, but I woudn't want to meet anyone headed down...
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

BBW
    mtbr member

kind of missing also (the looong downhills)

but I'm adapting myself to what I have, totally different but fun anyway (Hell, it's always fun to ride my bike!!!)

Dec 2006

Mountain riding in El Paso Texas

Texas is a big state. There are several 45 min+ sustained uphill singletrack rides in the Franklin mountains in El Paso, Texas. It can be high risk riding with sharp limestone and various cacti that can cheese-grate and impale you if you blow off the trails. But to answer the no mountains to ride in Texas complaint, it aint so.

Members who have read this thread: 0