Mini MTB Vacation in Texas?- Mtbr.com
    Single Speeder

Mini MTB Vacation in Texas?

Hello All,

I live in Richardson TX just outside of Dallas and I was looking for suggestion on a combined camping/riding destination within 2-4 hours of the Dallas area. I'd prefer there to be a lake involved so non MTB'ers could fish or swim or just enjoy the scenery. For the most part the trip will be based around riding a couple of times a day and having some beers and a fire at night. Having a town within 30-45 minutes for supplies would be nice also. Our riding level is intermediate although some of us are a bit more advanced than that. If a trail comes to mind that has great riding and camping but is not on or around a lake please feel free to suggest it anyway the lake is more of a want than a need. I'm planning the trip for May and there will prolly be 5-10 of us going possibly more. Thanks for any suggestions please feel free to suggest whatever comes to mind. I appreciate you all's help.

Most of us are going to be on Rigid bikes so I'd rather keep the trails somewhat smooth. Some rocks are okay but I'm not looking for fully style trails more of the hardpack with some rock gardens type of trails that the tech sections can be walked if needed. We are going to have fun so I don't want to over challenge the crew.
    Last edited by ETP2008; 12-29-2008 at 08:55 AM.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    muleshoe on lake travis.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    hmmm--huntsville or double lake north of the houston area would be a tad smoother.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    cedar hill state park is an awesome place for fishing and camping. they have bike trials but i havnet ridden them, so dont know how good they are.
    but they have very clean campgrounds, excellent bathrooms with clean tolits, and showers, and town is only about 25 min away.

Single Speeder
    Thank you ASR... gonna check the details out on all of those. You think you need a fully for muleshoe? Are there any easier loops out there. Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Muleshoe and pace bend are both hear each other. You can find the details on my site.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by p0n3y
    cedar hill state park is an awesome place for fishing and camping. they have bike trials but i havnet ridden them, so dont know how good they are.
    but they have very clean campgrounds, excellent bathrooms with clean tolits, and showers, and town is only about 25 min away.
    there's a lot to be said for a clean toilet at a public park, too
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Also consider Tyler State Park.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    You willl not need a fully for any of the trails mentioned in this thread so far. Tyler State Park is the funnest trail of the bunch--Muleshoe likely the more rocky of those mentioned but camping right on the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by ETP2008
    Thank you ASR... gonna check the details out on all of those. You think you need a fully for muleshoe? Are there any easier loops out there. Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

spicewood, tx

i live right between 3 great trails that have all that you seek. camping is available at Muleshoe (LCRA park) and Pace Bend(Travis County park). Reimer's Ranch was recently purchased by Travis County, so now you can enjoy Pace Bend (~8 miles of trail and great swimming/camping) and Reimer's on the same day pass/permit. Muleshoe is great, too, but it's an LCRA park, so another entry fee is in order. The good news is, the entry fees are per vehicle and if you're paying to camp, your day fee is included. Austin "proper" is ~45 minutes, but supplies are much closer (15 minutes for an HEB). Mexican food and BBQ can be had for nights you don't want to cook. These 3 trails all offer swimming AND biking. My suggestion would be to base out of Pace Bend and then hit the other 2 parks. All 3 trails are very hard-tailable. May should be great at either (Reimer's does not allow camping at this time). www.austinbike.com can give you details on all 3. enjoy!

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Lake Georgetown north of Austin has camping, singletrack accessible from the campgrounds, and a lake.

D

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    D--he wants a relatively smooth track---not one of the most bumpy butt kickin, leg burnin tracks we have!

Quote Originally Posted by dburatti
    Lake Georgetown north of Austin has camping, singletrack accessible from the campgrounds, and a lake.

D

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    ETP2008
    You might consider your neighbors to the North.
    Lake Murray at Ardmore Ok, would be at or about 2 hours away from you (20 plus miles of trails). Awesome lake, great trails, camping, fishing, good times. In addition to that there are many more just like it an hour or so North in the OKC area. Lake Draper trails 15 or so miles of trails, Lake Hefner trails 4 miles, Lake Thunderbird trails 18 miles of trails, Lake McMurtry 20 plus miles, Roman Nose State Park 15ish miles of trails, great lake, awesome trails, excellent camping.
    Many of these could be sampled on the same day if you are ambitious.
    Give it some thought, I'd volunteer to guide.
    YZF571

mtbr member
    Seconds on Muleshoe Bend. Pedernales Falls State Park is another option with camping, fishing, swimming, hiking, etc. In Austin, you can always ride the Barton Creek Greenbelt while the non-riders fart around (boat and bike rentals, fishing, etc) at Barton Springs or Town Lake (excuse me, Lady Bird Lake).

Single Speeder
    Any idea how the lake murray trails compare to the spicewood trails?

As far as tour guiding I'm gonna have to take you up on that once I can break away for a day long trip. I've got a 2 year old and a 3 month old so the wife rarely like to let me go for longer than 3 hour rides. Her Yoga and shopping/playing time is about 3 hours also. So we tag team it usually.

I must admit the OK option is an interesting one. I'll see what kind of pics I can find of lake Murray.

Single Speeder
    I think Pace Bend is gonna take it. Thanks for the suggestions. Being able to ride a different trail each day will be very nice. I gotta get my e-vites done up now. Does pace or mule shoe have cabins? Some of friends expressed an interest in more civilized hang out.
    Last edited by ETP2008; 01-21-2009 at 11:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ETP2008
    I think Pace Bend is gonna take it. Thanks for the suggestions. Being able to ride a different trail each day will be very nice. I gotta get my e-vites done up now. Does pace or mule shoe have cabins? Some of friends expressed an interest in more civilized hang out.
    Go post up on bike mojo:

http://www.bikemojo.com/speak/forumd...?s=&forumid=14

The guy who posts as "moojo" is the trail king at pace bend. There are pics on my site from trail work and riding.

Also, if you want company we can call a group ride for that weekend.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

Mtc
    mtbr member
    You may have already gone, but I'd go to Ruston, LA. Of course I live in Austin and can hit Muleshoe anytime.

mtbr member

Tyler SP, Cedar Hill SP, Johnson Branch SP, Isle du Bois SP

Hey, I live in Argyle just south of Denton. Over the past couple of years I've biked and camped at Tyler SP, Cedar Hill SP and Isle du Bois SP. And I have biked at Johnson Branch SP several times as well. Here's my impression of the four.

Tyler SP
    Pros
    - Exceptionally maintained park and campgrounds
    - Great MTB trails that has something to offer all levels of biking ability (not so much expert though)
    - Park surrounds beautiful lake/ pond (small lake)
    - BBQ joint just outside the park that I hear is pretty good

Con
    @ 2 hrs east of DFW (but then again you said 2-4 hrs for DFW so not really a con for you)

Cedar Hill SP
    Pros
    - Well maintained park and campgrounds
    - On Joe Pool Lake
    - Just south of I-20 outside the metroplex

Con
    - MTB trails are pretty cool, beginner to intermediate, but every time I've been the vegetation is so high around the trail it's just not fun...bad for those with allergies...I don't have them but when I get off the trail I itch and sneeze the rest of the day/night

Isle du Bois & Johnson Branch SP's

Pros
    - 2 parks both with MTB trails basically across the lake from one another
    - Johnson Branch has a nice MTB trails suited for beginner to intermediate riders. Haven't ridden Isle du Bois yet but I hear it's pretty cool.
    - Well maintained parks and campgrounds
    - On Lake Ray Roberts
    - Just north of Denton

Cons
    - Can't really think of any

With all that said here's my ranking out of the 4
    1. Tyler SP
    2. Isle Du Bois SP (I think it has more to offer than Johnson Branch)
    3. Johnson Branch SP
    4. Cedar Hill SP

Bottom line there's no need to drive more than 2 hrs from DFW to hit up a nice place. Another plus about being in a SP, no fishing license required inside the park (shore/dock fishing only).

Hope this helps...Enjoy!

Members who have read this thread: 0