Mid fattie or regular 29er for Houston area?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Mid fattie or regular 29er for Houston area?

I'm in the market for a new bike. It'll be a nice upgrade from my 20year old 26. I'm 45 yo, 6', 200 lb (all muscle of course) and was convinced a straight up 29er HT was for me... until I started reading great reviews on 27.5+ hardtails. I'm not looking to race, just want a fun ride for mostly local trails with an occasional trip to Palo Duro and maybe Moab next year. I'm in the $1000-1500 range. What say you?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Opinions man

I would try one out (mid fats) as well as 29er at one of the local bike shops to get a feel for it. I believe planetary and a few other shops stock the new size wheels (bike barn with trek stache). I think the problem you may have is it is still relatively new so i dont see to many plus bikes out on the trails here in Houston (cy-creek, cy-wood, memorial or the anthills) so may be hard to get an opinion that is not sole magazine based.

Me personally i would purchase a 29er frame that would be 27.5 + compliant if possible. Thinking about building a wheelset to throw up on my 29er Kona process 111.

You can always ask one of the trail groups facebook page as they are much more active then the forums here on mtbr.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    oh and there are usually multiple dudes from various bike shots lurking on facebook who should be able to tell you if what they have in stock for 27.5+. good luck!

mtbr member
    Great suggestions. I did ride an Orbea Loki 27.5+ at Sun & Ski over the weekend but it was only in a parking lot so not really much of a "test". But it did feel surprising easy to maneuver, has a comfortable riding position and I like the look a lot. The Loki can also run 29s which is nice. I appreciate the help!