• 12-20-2010
    marzjennings
    Memorial Park. Sunny winter day. Video.
    So a new video from chilly Houston (hey it's cool for us). This time a quick section from this weekends ride around Memorial Park hitting the yellow and orange trails. I'm trying a different camera position, this time with the camera fixed just left of the headtube on the frame. There's a bit of vibration, but I like the way it tracks the trail and captures the lean into corners.

Next task is to build a small steady cam to absorb some of the vibration.

Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2SKXGwA2-0

Cheers,

Marz
  • 12-20-2010
    that was nice. like that viewpoint. were you riding with Nick?
  • 12-20-2010
    marzjennings
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 53119
    that was nice. like that viewpoint. were you riding with Nick?

Yes, but I don't know about riding with Nick, more 'attempting to keep up with Nick' :)
  • 12-28-2010
    l36pontiac
    does everyone ride so fast? is their noob trails for us slower people?
  • 12-28-2010
    marzjennings
    Memorial Park trails are open to all riders, noob's and pro's and while I do ride pretty quickly I always try and keep it to a speed where I'll be able to stop safely if required. In the video you'll see we where able to pass other trail users easily. You'll hear riders calling out 'RIDER!' before blind corners and sections. It's not a call for the right of way, but more for awareness, like,' I'm here, who's there?'
    The trails are mixed used so you have to watch out for other riders and hikers, dog walkers and trail runners.
  • 12-29-2010
    bitewerks
    Looks like a fun trail. What skill level is orange & yellow?
  • 12-29-2010
    marzjennings
    Mostly beginner to intermediate, but a few sections are starting to get a bit rooty and tricky and so leaning more towards the intermediate. There’s a section at about 3 mins on the video that used to be a smooth bowl, but now requires some concentration on the correct line to take. If a rider is comfortable to lift their front wheel to clear a step up or get out of the saddle to absorb a drop off they’ll be fine on the entire trail network.
  • 12-30-2010
    equalme
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bitewerks
    Looks like a fun trail. What skill level is orange & yellow?

Memorial is quite fun and is smack dab in the heart of the city.

I haven't been out there in a few weeks but I usually start out at yellow, then orange, blue, red, purple, and then green a few times.

Take your time when you ride until you get used to the terrain. Ride at your own pace, and when possible, dismount and roll your bike over technicals to get the feel of it. Make sure to call out 'rider' as much as you can.

FYI. quite a bit of joggers and dog walkers out on the trails; most don't keep them leashed.
  • 12-31-2010
    selector
    Given that it's flat down there, do you folks ride SS?

Also... what systems of etiquette are in place or expected? The riders in the vid don't appear to yield to anyone, yet it appears too flat for them to be the uphill rider! Perhaps circuit direction governs???
  • 12-31-2010
    equalme
    Quote:

Originally Posted by selector

Also... what systems of etiquette are in place or expected? The riders in the vid don't appear to yield to anyone, yet it appears too flat for them to be the uphill rider! Perhaps circuit direction governs???

I haven't seen many people riding SS here. It is quite flat here at Memorial with lots of roots and quick up/downs. It's bi-directional so no real circuit direction is governed.
  • 12-31-2010
    marzjennings
    Quote:

There's a few SS riders out on the trails, I have got one I take out every now and then, but not as many as you would think given how flat everything is. The guy behind me in the video was on a niner ss.

We always ride prepared to yield to others, but as you can see in the video the walkers had already stepped back off the trail before we reached them. And as we passed the other riders there was enough space to allow everyone to share the trail.
  • 01-01-2011
    selector
    Quote:

Originally Posted by marzjennings
    The guy behind me in the video was on a niner ss.

So you are the bike w/ the cam, there's a rider in front and a rider behind you correct???
  • 01-02-2011
    marzjennings
    Quote:

So you are the bike w/ the cam, there's a rider in front and a rider behind you correct???

Yep, trying to keep up with the guy in front. I don't know the rider behind on the Niner, he tagged along for a few minutes before dropping back to wait for his group to catch up.
  • 01-04-2011
    cjblake09
    Nice video. I am planning on getting back out there this weekend i have been doing to many other things the last couple of weeks to be able to ride.
  • 01-04-2011
    Chuey83
    What kind of camera are you using?
  • 01-04-2011
    marzjennings
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuey83
    What kind of camera are you using?

I'm using a GoPro HD mounted just to the left of the head tube.
  • 01-05-2011
    skewe
    Nice ride.. need to try Memorial one of these days
  • 01-16-2011
    CBRsteve
    Great video, I like the angle of the camera... let's you see alot and is pretty clear.

My buddy and I ride Memorial about twice a month, though not quite at that pace. :-)
  • 01-22-2011
    JAILBAIT
    I just moved into town from Baltimore looking for places to ride. Where can i park to get onto this trail? I live in Katy.
  • 01-22-2011
    marzjennings
    Memorial Park is just inside 610, so from Katy, east in i10, south on 610 and take the memorial park exit. Mtb trails are on the south side of the park, park near the baseball fields and you'll see signs for trail entrances.

Here's a link to more information on memorial park...

http://www.memorialparkconservancy.o...ItemID/116.htm

and here's a link to other trails in Texas...

http://www.mountainbiketx.com/

... a couple of which are closer to Katy than memorial park.
  • 01-23-2011
    JAILBAIT
    Quote:

Originally Posted by marzjennings
    Memorial Park is just inside 610, so from Katy, east in i10, south on 610 and take the memorial park exit. Mtb trails are on the south side of the park, park near the baseball fields and you'll see signs for trail entrances.

Here's a link to more information on memorial park...

http://www.memorialparkconservancy.o...ItemID/116.htm

and here's a link to other trails in Texas...

http://www.mountainbiketx.com/

... a couple of which are closer to Katy than memorial park.

Thanks for the info. I will check some of those trails out next weekend.
  • 01-24-2011
    soccerdude
    Jailbait, also take a look at GHORBA.org for a list of all the trails in the Houston area. We also have group rides every month that will accomodate you no matter what your skill or endurance level. Skill clinics pop up from time to time as well.
  • 01-28-2011
    equalme
    Beautiful weather today..Memorial trails are finally open again...and I'm going straight from school to work. =[
  • 01-28-2011
    marzjennings
    Hey, didn't get a chance to ride today either. With luck I'll get a few hours on the trails on Saturday.