McKinney Erwin Park Closing?- Mtbr.com

Oct 2008

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! McKinney Erwin Park Closing?

The city of McKinney is planning to close down the trails at Erwin Park! NO OFF ROAD BIKING! Let's let them know what we think about that. E-mail the city council!

[email protected]

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i dont even live near that place, but ill email them anyway

Oct 2008
    Thanks!

Oct 2008
    I found this link on youtube last night. It's a news report from WFAA about the trail closing. The McKinney spokesperson says "it can be an unsafe situation". WTF?? I know somebody who works in the Parks Department and this is looking more and more like a done deal. Please e-mail the McKinney city council and help save the Erwin Park trail!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFiPno3OXQ4

Aug 2008
    If the only reasons for the closure are what was stated in the news report, this makes me wish for a MTB Unibomber. People who do these things will not listen to reason, action is needed. Some one with less of a temper (not me) should organize something constructive that we all can do to help with this. If the city has faced some sort of litigation ofer an injury on the trail, or these trails were on the edge of a cliff or something else than I could understand. The reasons given are redicules! (penny, penny)
    Mark

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    That is old news. Dorba and the city reached an agreement months ago and have a written contract for Dorba to maintain the trail and keep it open to mountain bikes for ten years. The city decided not to allow them to race on it anymore though, supposedly because of parking issues.

Oct 2008
    Right, they reached an "agreement". Of course the government always keeps their word.

The city of McKinney wants to close the trail. The employees in the parks department have been told this WILL happen. I know somebody who works for the city that was told this in a meeting last week. For those of you who don't think the government is always honest and always keeps promises, E-MAIL THE CITY COUNCIL!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I live in McKinney and frequent Erwin too. I saw a youtube clip on as well on the same subject but after watching it I noticed the date posted is almost two years ago. People are still riding Erwin to this day, are we sure the city still intends to prohibit off-road cycling. Seems to me there are enough cyclists in McKinney that would protest this if they knew of it. I have not seen anything as of recent regarding the issue but I am going to try and call the city zoning commission right now. i'll let you know....

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I put a call into the Planning and Development Dept but I did not get anyone on the phone. I want say I am with c_m_shooter on this one. The youtube piece is old and I have to believe that the city of McKinney realizes the value of keeping Erwin park open to forms of recreation including the thousands of mountain bikers that frequent there every year.

mtbr member
    Omg calm down people can you even read?

This happened a long time ago and the issue has been resolved.

Geez, I live in Denver and I know this :P

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I believe the original plan was to close the park to biking by 2010 so you got one more year out there....

Members who have read this thread: 0