Mas o Menos Gearing- Mtbr.com
    The Riddler

Mas o Menos Gearing

just wondering what kind of gearing people run at the mas o menos race. i'm going to try and run a singlespeed in the pro race. we'll see how that goes. thanks for any help.

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaparzo
    just wondering what kind of gearing people run at the mas o menos race. i'm going to try and run a singlespeed in the pro race. we'll see how that goes. thanks for any help.

Here's my $0.02

First off, it is a SS race. What I mean is that (as I am SURE you know) there is no one gear that is going to be perfect, all the time.

Second off, it is a fast course. I have raced SS across Texas, and on pretty much every other course, SS is competative. Often the SS class has some of the fastest times.

The above statement does not apply to SSing at MoM.

The first half of the loop is across the desert floor. Very fast, read:big ring fast. This is where you will loose ground on the gearies. The second half a long jeep road climb, tough with our without gears. I pull the walk_some_ride_some_drink_some trick.

My suggestion is to gear for the flats to max the speed out there. Two years ago (when I was in better shape), I ran 2:1 (26"). And that would be my recommendation.

If you are doing the full 100K, marathon rules allow for wheel in-wheel out in the pit at the Start/Finish. And some folks would consider gearing down for lap two.

On a semi-related note, I have been out there two times in the past two months, and things are very loose. I'd also recommend fat tires. I had 2.1s and they were to narrow for me in some of the creekbeds and sand pits, I am bringing 2.3s this time.

On another semi-related note, feel free to stop by Camp Mojo. You will be able to see us from Hwy 170 at CASI. Big fire and a sweatlodge.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

Members who have read this thread: 0