March Trip- Mtbr.com

Thread: March Trip

Jan 2007

March Trip

Hi. I am an IL native... moving to San Antonio next year with the Army Nurse Corp. I am making a trip to Austin to visit a friend, tour the base (Ft. Sam), and check out the trails. I will be there March 17th-23rd or so. Looking for some info and maybe someone to show me some trails. I have only been riding since this summer so my skills leave much to be desired, but I am willing to try anything. I will also need to rent a bike while I am down there. Any information will be much appreciated! yahoo email and handle-- wrangler_chick82

Thanks!
    Kristin

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by nurse82
    Hi. I am an IL native... moving to San Antonio next year with the Army Nurse Corp. I am making a trip to Austin to visit a friend, tour the base (Ft. Sam), and check out the trails. I will be there March 17th-23rd or so. Looking for some info and maybe someone to show me some trails. I have only been riding since this summer so my skills leave much to be desired, but I am willing to try anything. I will also need to rent a bike while I am down there. Any information will be much appreciated! yahoo email and handle-- wrangler_chick82

Thanks!
    Kristin

What type of riding do you like to do?
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    As a former chicagoan, I can say without a doubt that riding is much better in texas. to begin with, you get to ride 52 weeks out of the year.

San Antonio has some great trails. check 'em out at http://www.austinbike.com in the San Antonio section. Mac is easy, OP is varied at a skill level and GC has lots of different things to keep you entertained for hours.

Jan 2007
    Well, I just started biking this past October. I am used to wooded single track. I had a 02 Cannondale m500, but my bf just upgraded me to a smaller, lighter bike, with a fork I can actually compress. I am not the greatest by far, but getting decent enough. Not quite sure how I will fair the rocks though! Hopefully with the newer, lighter bike Ill be ok.

Thanks for the link. I had it previously and have checked out the pictures, but since I have never visited TX, locating and navigating them might prove difficult.

I am looking forward to the warm weather. I went out yesterday (35 degrees) froze my buns off and fell in the mud walking my bike up a hill that was too muddy to ride.

Are there any good bike stores locally that rent bikes at a decent price? I am flying down and wont be able to bring my bike. Hoping the bf decides to drive down and meet me, but its unlikely as he will be working again.

Thanks again! Kristin

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Bicycle Sport Shop rents bikes and is about a mile or two from the barton creek greenbelt trailhead.

If you post up on bikemojo when you will be in someone will be kind enough to meet you there with a rack and take your bike to the GB for a ride (if it is a weekend). We're generally good people down here.

Jan 2007
    Thanks! I should have my friends truck, so transporting the bike shouldnt be a problem. heck, I dont have a rack on my car, but my back seat folds down so I just pop off the front tire and slide her in. How reasonable are their rates? I will arrive on Saturday (the 17th) and could probably meet for a ride on Sunday, or even Saturday evening. How cool are the temps? I typically wear long pants here lately, but prefer shorts/tank. The last ride I went on it was 35 out and i wore shorts and did ok.... until I stopped. I guess I could check the weather channel huh?

I have looked at a bunch of the websites down there and the trails look like a lot of fun. Not quite what I am used to, but fun nonetheless. I usually commute to ride about an hour away, so driving from san antonio to austin shouldnt be such a big deal when i move. The biggest adjustment will definately be the heat. Thanks everyone for your help! I cant wait to come visit (and move)!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Go to:

Http://www.bicyclesportshop.com for rentals, here are their rates: http://bicyclesportshop.com/page.cfm?pageId=504

Also, I would recommend going to Bike Mojo ( http://www.bikemojo.com/speak/forumdisplay.php?f=14 ) and posting up about riding. You may find someone with an extra bike to loan you.

If I am in the country that weekend I can call a ride so that you are sure to have a crowd to ride with.

Jan 2007
    Thanks! I posted on Bike Mojo...someone offered me a full rigid to ride... well see what happens! I am glad that there are so many nice folks to help a new gal out! I really look forward to meeting some of you in March and hopefully even more when I move! Thanks so much for all your help!

Kristin

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nurse82
    Thanks! I posted on Bike Mojo...someone offered me a full rigid to ride...

Um, that might not have been a bike

Look forward to having you come down here.

Jan 2007
    yeah ummmmmmmm maybe lol.

Members who have read this thread: 0