Looking for rides in Austin 2/11 to 2/14- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Looking for rides in Austin 2/11 to 2/14

Hello, will be visiting Austin from 2/10 to 2/15 for the purpose of riding and shooting video. I wanted to see if anyone would be interested in hooking up for a ride or two. I'm interested in riding the greenbelt, Emma Long, Muleshoe, Flatrock ranch and anywhere else that has good riding and scenery.

Is anyone know of anything going on?
    tankpro.org
    IMBA National Mountain Bike Patrol
    southernkettles.org

Rohloff
    Quote Originally Posted by poontank
    Hello, will be visiting Austin from 2/10 to 2/15 for the purpose of riding and shooting video. I wanted to see if anyone would be interested in hooking up for a ride or two. I'm interested in riding the greenbelt, Emma Long, Muleshoe, Flatrock ranch and anywhere else that has good riding and scenery.

Is anyone know of anything going on?
    I'd be happy to show you around a little. PM me with your email address and we can discuss what you are looking for.

What's going on that weekend is this: http://www.rprtexas.com/tourderanch.htm

It's a brand new trail system on a private ranch that is just opening up. I've had the pleasure of getting a sneak peak and I can tell you it's pretty cool.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    If you dont mind making a short trip to Rocky Hill Ranch in Smithville, you will be rewarded with sweet rolling singletrack through pines. Many choices, you can do short loops or the full 21 miles.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I should be in town. If so I can give you a greenbelt tour. That trail beats all others hands down. And, it is the closest trail to austin proper.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bsdc
    it's pretty cool.

Indeed.
    Follow that link for a vid of the Super-D line...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero

Indeed.
    Follow that link for a vid of the Super-D line...
    Just curious as to what this trail would be classified as. Does super D refer to downhill? Is it CC? Will there be other less technical trails on the property?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregor1
    Just curious as to what this trail would be classified as. Does super D refer to downhill? Is it CC? Will there be other less technical trails on the property?
    1. Yes, D is downhill...ideal for a 6" bike right now.
    2. Yes, it is CC...ideal for a 4" bike.

The super-D line joins the XC line for some co-mingling at 3:30 in the video, which it shares until very close to the end. The "super" part of the D is the fact that there are pedaling sections that will even out performance between those that are more aggressive riders and those that are more XC-type riders. Super D traditionally includes climbing and descending, and this is precisely what this is. Hope that helps. If not, then watch the vid!

3. Yes, there is an established XC loop out there that is apparently lots of fun with great views, slickrock exposure and good flow.

Rohloff
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregor1
    "Super D - Super D (SD) is a blend of cross-country and downhill. Most of the race is downhill, on trails similar to the downhill segment of a cross-country race. There are also short (100500 m) uphill sections which make the use of downhill bicycles difficult, as a result, most riders use cross-country or 'trail bikes'. Depending on the trail and race venue, the start may either be seeded (riders start in short intervals), or Le Mans mass start (riders run to their bikes, timing is started when the riders start running). Probably the most famous of this type is the Megavalanche." - Wiki

There are also many miles of cross country trails. It looks like it's going to be a great place for everyone. It's well worth the trip.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Sounds very cool. Appreciate the info.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    That would be cool Austin Bike. I have to say I find your website really helpful so thank you for that. I got a chance to ride the Barton Creek Greenbelt (I'm assuming its the same thing as the locals call the "greenbelt") the last time I was down there and had a lot of fun so I would definitely be up for doing that again. What day works best for you?

Rocky Hill Ranch looks like a lot of fun too. Thanks for posting the link to the vid. I haven't decided if I am going to rent a car or not, but I'm leaning that way right now, so driving a short distance shouldn't be an issue.

Should I bother posting over at bikemojo or I am talking to the same folks I'd run into over there?

And can anyone recommend a reasonably priced place to stay?
    tankpro.org
    southernkettles.org

mtbr member
    May 2004

Rocky Hill Ranch looks like a lot of fun too. Thanks for posting the link to the vid.
    Just to clear up the confusion, that is Reveille Peak Ranch, not RHR.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    That would be cool Austin Bike. I have to say I find your website really helpful so thank you for that. I got a chance to ride the Barton Creek Greenbelt (I'm assuming its the same thing as the locals call the "greenbelt") the last time I was down there and had a lot of fun so I would definitely be up for doing that again. What day works best for you?

Rocky Hill Ranch looks like a lot of fun too. Thanks for posting the link to the vid. I haven't decided if I am going to rent a car or not, but I'm leaning that way right now, so driving a short distance shouldn't be an issue.

Should I bother posting over at bikemojo or I am talking to the same folks I'd run into over there?

And can anyone recommend a reasonably priced place to stay?
    I should be able to ride either day that weekend.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike
    I should be able to ride either day that weekend.
    Are you possibly available to ride the greenbelt on Friday or Monday?
    tankpro.org
    southernkettles.org

Members who have read this thread: 0