Looking for rec's in Austin this weekend..- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2018

Looking for rec's in Austin this weekend..

SO.. I'm driving down to Austin this coming Friday night to visit some friends. I am bringing the bike in hopes of running over to spider mountain one day this weekend, but I also want some info about some trails closer to where I will be.

FWIW, I typically ride Northshore or Isle Du Bois in DFW if anyone is familiar with those.

I will be staying roughly one block from the trails at Emma Long. Read some info about that park and it sounds rather dangerous. I am open to your opinions on that park, or any others that would be relatively close to me.

thanks!!

mtbr member
    Walnut Creek park is fun...a lot of trails there, and they all kind of circle back to a central parking lot so it's good for someone who doesn't know the area well or local trails. Brushy Creek is great, too.

Emma Long I don't find very fun, technical and nothing but rocks, but if that's your thing.

Pace Bend is a small fee/park but I love riding there. Not usually crowded at all, so that's always nice.
    "Wait, this thing doesn't have a motor?" - Socrates

mtbr member
    Emma long is one of my favorites but it can be tough, lots of short climbs and plenty of rocks which is why I like it so much. You might check out brushy Creek, another fun trail system in North Austin.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Drive out to Reveille Peak Ranch. About an hour outside of Austin. Well worth the drive and is not far from Spider Mtn.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    OK, first, if you think that Emma Long is dangerous and yet you are headed to Spider Mountain, I am not sure where you are getting your info from.

City Park (Emma Long) is an XC trail and Spider is a downhill trail. You'll probably see more injuries and broken bones on Spider because of the speed.

CP is full of technical features and real challenges. If you would like to push yourself it is a great trail to ride, especially due to your proximity. There are steep ups and sharp downs. My only complaint is the length. I prefer longer rides and it is ~5.25 miles, so I typically do 2-3 laps out there when I ride it.

CP is a lot of fun, especially if you are pushing yourself and taking on the challenges. A good strategy is to ride it carefully on a first lap (instead of stopping to session things) and then in the second lap ride it harder and push yourself now that you know what you are up against.

I don't know the trials that you ride in DFW. Walnut Creek is a spaghetti bowl of trials, it's fun, but not very technical. You can get in a good 10-12 miles, maybe more if you get turned around and lost. The good news is that if you get lost, you can't really be THAT lost because the park is not that large, so you end up re-doing certain sections until you figure it out. Unlike CP, it is a two-way trail.

The Barton Creek Greenbelt is my favorite trail to ride, but that really requires riding with a local because the publicly facing main trail is pretty boring. There are lots of back trails to ride but you need to know where you are going and what you are doing with those.

Pace Bend is a good park to ride, about 40 minutes from where you will be staying.

Also Brushy Creek is a good option. also ~40 minutes from where you are staying, no fees to ride, and more trail to choose from.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I appreciate all the feedback you guys have given me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I personally wouldnít waste any of my time at Spider mountain, or the mess of a trail system at Reveille.

I would park at Camp craft road and drop in at the hill of life on the greenbelt and explore the trails on the right and left. Trail forks has a few of the 6 lines that go up and down.

If you are a badass technical climber, Emma long is a blast.

You are close to Brushy. I would go ride there if I were staying near Emma long. Do peddlers pass, 1/4 notch and double down (deception). You can connect it all with Picnic trail. Again, these are on Trailforks. You can park at YMCA. They also have some hidden downhill lines near 183 look to your right when coming from YMCA. LOOK before you bomb down the jump line or could end poorly for you. Preride, deride, freeride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Once again Iím very appreciative of all the help yíall have provided. I ended up riding with a couple of noobies and ran into some locals at Walnut Creek who gave us enough info to provide a fun ride for all of us.

unfortunately the weather didnít cooperate for a second day.
    I look forward to making many more trips now that Iíve seen just a bit of the quality of your trails.

Cheers,
    Brennan

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by FJSnoozer View Post
    LOOK before you bomb down the jump line or could end poorly for you.

Which trail at Brushy is the jump line?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by CCS86 View Post
    Which trail at Brushy is the jump line?
    Unmapped trail called snail trail. West side of 183a. You need to roll each line slowly to see everything before you hit it. The big drop looks like the small drop and vise versa whole going down at speed. Then the drop is immediately followed by a Jump which can get weird, some Hips and fun natural berms.

They are 40 second runs that you can hot lap with 3 lush lines. There is also additional singletrack on top of the hill you can add on.

Also, donít miss rimjob and Daveís ditch on the other side is 183. Itís like star wars.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by FJSnoozer View Post
    Unmapped trail called snail trail. West side of 183a. You need to roll each line slowly to see everything before you hit it. The big drop looks like the small drop and vise versa whole going down at speed. Then the drop is immediately followed by a Jump which can get weird, some Hips and fun natural berms.

They are 40 second runs that you can hot lap with 3 lush lines. There is also additional singletrack on top of the hill you can add on.

Also, donít miss rimjob and Daveís ditch on the other side is 183. Itís like star wars.

Sweet, thanks for the info!

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk