Looking for input on ideal 1x gear range for North Texas trails- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2016

Looking for input on ideal 1x gear range for North Texas trails

Just looking for some input from others familiar with the area terrain and 1x setups. I have a 2016 Habit that is currently on SLX 2x10 groupset. The derailleur and chain need to be replaced so I figured, it was a good opportunity to go with a 1x11 or possibly 1x12 setup.

To avoid hub replacement, I was looking at the Shimano XT groupset. It comes with 11x40t, 11x42t, and 11x46t cassette options with a 32t front ring.

I was also looking at the SRAM GX Eagle 1x12 setup with a 10x50t range and 32t front ring. Certainly overkill, but I love the idea of having the range if I ever needed it.

Just curious what you find to be ideal for the area?
    2016 Cannondale Habit 4 :thumbsup:
    2010 Cliff Windsor 4900 - Fox Float RL 130, Velociraptors :nono:

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm in San Antonio and riding hill country and beyond. Ive got 12speed,11 speed and 2x10 on different bikes. I prefer the 11 speed for Texas riding. 2x kind of sucks with a dropper post. 12 speed is spendy, heavy and not needed in Texas. I prefer a smaller jump between gears too. I would go for the XTR 11 speed or something with a similar tight range. Then again, I've been known to run a straight block cassette on my roadbike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by xphiberoptikx View Post
    Just looking for some input from others familiar with the area terrain and 1x setups. I have a 2016 Habit that is currently on SLX 2x10 groupset. The derailleur and chain need to be replaced so I figured, it was a good opportunity to go with a 1x11 or possibly 1x12 setup.

To avoid hub replacement, I was looking at the Shimano XT groupset. It comes with 11x40t, 11x42t, and 11x46t cassette options with a 32t front ring.

I was also looking at the SRAM GX Eagle 1x12 setup with a 10x50t range and 32t front ring. Certainly overkill, but I love the idea of having the range if I ever needed it.

Just curious what you find to be ideal for the area?
    Those are very different setups.

In texas, I would run a GX 11 speed setup 1ith 1175 cassette from fleabay ($100) and upgrade to 1195 or 1199 cassette when your GX cassette wears out. This works great with a 32 depending upon whether you are a weekend warrior or a rider who gets 4-8 hours per week.

No shimano cassette has enough range for me on the top end for the street. I would not run an 11-40 if you plan on riding your habbit everywhere in Texas. 11-46 would be fine, but I would want a 34 front ring. You could run the XT 11-46 with the SRAM GX shifter and long cage derraileur. if you don't want to mess with a new freehub.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Eagle is not really usable here unless you race ultra marathons.

SS for Houston.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Thank you both. I think my view of the 1x12 was to have it if needed, but was not really considering the implications of it, seeing as 99.9% of my riding is here local where its unnecessary.

Quick question for FJSnoozer - can you explain why you would recommend the GA shifter and and derailluer with the Shimano cassette? I understand the Shimano cassette to save the freehub but what is the compelling reason for the SRAM mech and shifter?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Also, novice question, but can I used my existing Deore crank (FC-M617) that is currently 2x with a Race Face narrow wide chainring to get a 34t front ring setup without buying a new crank?

Edit: replaced SLX Crank with confirmed Deore crank on the bike currently.

mtbr member
    I just replaced my 3x9 setup with a SLX M7000 groupset from Chain Reaction. Shimano SLX 1x11 Drivetrain Groupset | Chain Reaction Cycles
    For $225 I am very happy with it. 30T front and 11-42 rear, The first seven gears are almost identical to what I had with my old setup. I am loosing a bit on the top end but I haven't noticed any problem with that yet.

Here is a gear comparison chart I made up when I was considering it.

Looking for input on ideal 1x gear range for North Texas trails-gear-comparisons.png
    Change begins by doing something different.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Just get Eagle and be done with it, whichever one you like and can afford. I'd like to see those who say you don't need 12-speed ride a couple of laps at Big Cedar and then hit the brick climb and not wish they had a 50-tooth, especially with a 32 or 34 in front. It just gives you a HUGE range. It's not heavy, expensive or any of that other stuff. It's just better. I have it on all my MTB's except my SS.
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    Colnago C60 Disc