• 12-05-2012
    gatorgrizz27
    Looking for beginning/intermediate riders around Austin
    Hey guys,

I just moved here from Tallahassee, and haven't really ridden in about 6 months. I would say I was an intermediate level rider there, but the trails there were mostly hardpack clay with a lot of roots and some embedded limestone, so the loose rocks and gravel out here takes a bit of getting used to.

I like riding fast, flowing trails with a lot of turns and short technical climbs and downhills where you won't end up in the ER if you screw up. Unfortunately I haven't found much of that around here.

So far I've ridden Barton Creek Greenbelt, and found the sections that I tried to be above my skill level. Basically I could ride for a little while, then had to get off and walk the steep big rocky sections. The stair like rocks more than about 2 feet high I'm not really comfortable climbing or descending.

I rode Walnut Creek and there were some fun sections of single track with good climbs through the woods, but they were all pretty short.

I found St. Edwards yesterday and rode the side on the parking area of the creek, it was fun but really easy.

Today I rode part of Thumper but the loose rocks kept giving me trouble. I had to walk up Jack's section, and then almost cleaned Katie's climb until the top section. I explored for a little while but couldn't ride a whole lot consistently, so I went back to St. Edwards. The far side of the creek was a lot more fun, but still fairly small. The long rocky climb up to the Balcones preserve was fun, and a couple small downhill runs as well.

Anyways, I'm looking for riders around the same skill level as me or a little bit better to ride 1-3 times a week or whenever you can to get out on some of the trails around here. It's not all that fun trying to keep up with people a lot better than you, but hopefully after riding here for a couple months I will be able to hang a bit better.

I'm on the north side of town at 183 and 620, and have a flexible schedule, so I can ride during the day when it's less crowded.

Let me know if you would like to get together and hit a few trails.
  • 12-05-2012
    austin_bike
    You should post up in bike mojo:
    Austin VooDoo

And check out the meetup group:
    The Austin Mountain Bikers Meetup Group (Austin, TX) - Meetup

When you are intermediate/early advanced, ping me and I can show you some things around town.

My site has all the detail you need on trails.
  • 12-05-2012
    EmbraceTheHate
    Sunday we are goin to greenbelt all the fun stuff. Most uphills we walk though. Maybe you could get more comfortable seeing a few go down first.

sent from my galaxy tab 2
  • 12-12-2012
    crimecrusher
    I recomend attending an Austin Ridge Riders group ride. They break into skill groups and a good place to meet riders to ride with.
  • 12-18-2012
    mtxandy
    Muleshoe sounds like it would be right up your alley. Also Pace Bend park is in that same area. Both are great trails with flow.