Longview Park/Stephenson Preserve - Austin- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Longview Park/Stephenson Preserve - Austin

Anyone have a map of Stephenson Preserve (just off Brodie, south of Wm Cannon)? I was reading somewhere (Austin Explorer, I think) that the trails are off-limits to mtbs or bmx...peds only. That would completely suck since I live about a block away. Anyone know the 411 on the trails/access? Thanks.

Antagonist
    Hmm.... I'd be pretty interested in this, too... I'm right down the street and could probably ride to it myself (I'm right off Convict Hill... could throw a rock and hit the William Cannon/Brodie intersection from here.)

Let me know when you get more info... I've been riding a self-imposed 10 mile urban route every other day or so going up to Escarpment heading due West, heading back south to Davis Lane, and cutting through to the trail and park that's off of Beckett then back home over here to Creek Ridge.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkymutt
    Anyone have a map of Stephenson Preserve (just off Brodie, south of Wm Cannon)? I was reading somewhere (Austin Explorer, I think) that the trails are off-limits to mtbs or bmx...peds only. That would completely suck since I live about a block away. Anyone know the 411 on the trails/access? Thanks.
    Last edited by spill; 10-12-2005 at 06:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by spill
    Hmm.... I'd be pretty interested in this, too... I'm right down the street and could probably ride to it myself (I'm right off Convict Hill... could throw a rock and hit the William Cannon/Brodie intersection from here.)

Let me know when you get more info... I've been riding a self-imposed 10 mile urban route every other day or so going up to Escarpment heading due West, heading back south to Davis Lane, and cutting through to the trail and park that's off of Beckett then back home over here to Creek Ridge.
    Me too, over in Western Oaks myself.

Spill, are you talking about the crushed gravel trail that you can get to on Davis near Escarpment? Mostly see people walking on it.

Antagonist
    Yeah, that's it. I cut over to the park on the other side of Beckett using that trail, then around the park as a cool down before heading home.

Quote Originally Posted by joltz
    Me too, over in Western Oaks myself.

Spill, are you talking about the crushed gravel trail that you can get to on Davis near Escarpment? Mostly see people walking on it.

mtbr member
    Okay...I found some links on Google. One says it's closed to bikes but the city's site says it's open to them. I found yet a third site that has the minutes from a recent (2005) city council meeting discussing budgeting for improvements in the park. That one says that the city is going to revamp the trails and make it basically more bike/hike friendly. The links are as follows:

https://www.ci.austin.tx.us/parks/pa...n_preserve.jpg

https://www.austinexplorer.com/hikin...asp?HikeID=480

I'm over in Whispering Oaks (neighborhood just east of West Gate) so it's like a 5 minute ride for me. I rode in the park for the first time last Saturday for about 2 hours and didn't see a soul.

If you guys are over west of Mopac you'd probably take Convict Hill to Brodie, head South on Brodie, head East on Harper's Ferry and the road ends at the park. There are multiple entrances to the trails but the main one is in about the middle of the soccer field (not marked). Just poke around and you'll find a good-sized network of trails back in the woods. From the parking lot the place is deceptively small - once you get back on the trails they seem to go forever.

Hope to see you guys out there - I'm on the Brodie Unibomber ss.

Antagonist
    ...Hope to see you guys out there - I'm on the Brodie Unibomber ss.
    I used to live off Alderwood as a matter of fact. Didn't realize that place was even down there, but I wasn't really riding at the time I was there.

I'll check it out this weekend, probably Saturday. Isn't far at all it looks like (I'm just East of the Mopac overpass that goes over Convict Hill). Probably won't ride until Saturday ... snapped my chain today after work. Blah.

mtbr member
    I think I know your house! Just kidding.

But seriously, one time my wife and I were heading north on Mopac - she was in the passenger seat and I was driving. All of the sudden she screams, "Oh my God!" Naturally, I thought she'd left her damn purse at home again and we had to turn around and go get it. Then she tells me she just saw two folks scrogging over the kitchen island in a house just east of the overpass. Apparently the moment struck them and they forgot to pull the blinds over the glass door.

Hilarious!

Mtc
    mtbr member
    I live off of Fentonridge, right off Westgate.
    I've used the area for 5 years, it a neat place since its out my back door, but not as cool as the rest of south Austin. Actually I use the trails mostly for running and honing my kids technical skills. You can put together about 5 miles if you poke around and use all the trails. That being said a couple years ago someone went through and put mesqite branchs across several trails, which I promptly rode through over and over as a test from my Stans set up.
    I think the motorcycles are the biggest issue, and the kids with thier camp fires.
    And oh yeah you've gone and posted my secret training(recovery actually) grounds to everyone;0)

mtbr member

Wink

I've never seen a motorcycle there - must be an evening or weekend thing. The city's website says something about more enforcement regarding motorbikes. Sorry about giving away the "secret spot" although it was bound to get out at some point or another.

Antagonist
    Just got back from riding a good 17 mile route... first part of which was heading east and checking out the park. It's exactly two miles from my house.

At first I was a little disappointed when I came to the entrance... looked like nothing but a wide open field. Noone there except a group of guys drinking 40's. Went north towards william cannon through that field into the thick and it got pretty interesting. There's some decent trails to ride through there if you can plot a solid route out of all the random trails that branch off from one another. Couple of rocky spots to bomb down. Hit a couple of unexpected dropoffs (should have played it safe and scouted it slower first, I guess)... one of which resulted in the slowest lamest fscking endo I've done in my life. All in all not a bad ride.

I'd be down for doing it again next weekend if anyone wants to hook up. Might invite a friend of mine from San Antonio to ride with, too.

mtbr member
    Sounds like you pretty much stayed on the lower section near/around the bmx humps. Don't let that get you down, though...there's a buttload of trails further up the hill. Probably the most direct route to the upper trails is when you get to the soccer field, directly behind the goalpost is a rocky trail that shoots straight up into the upper section. Once you get to the top, there's a ton of other trails that branch off all over the place. I've ridden every morning this week and last and am still finding new trails. In fact, Monday morning I took a trail that headed north to the area behind the church and wound up getting extremely lost when I took a deer path into nowhere. I lost the original trail and had to bushwhack until I found another one about 20 minutes later. I'm telling you, it's a lot bigger than it looks. I know what you mean about endos. I'm riding rigid forks and sometimes I forget to keep my arms loose. Last Friday I pulled a mofo of a fall, straight into a clump of cedar trees while coming down a babyhead-strewn incline into a turn. I think I'm going to mod my bike out for semi-bmx use...put on a shorty/blockhead stem and some monkey bars and a bigger bmx seat so I can take advantage the jumps down below and ride more upright. See you out there!

Some Dude
    Resurrected this thread from the grave!! I had no idea these were down south, and even closer to me than Slaughter Creek! Took off my clipless pedals and left the helmet at home!! This is a pretty big network of trails and I mapped some of it on my gps. Lots of branches but if you are out there for an hour or so you will probably figure it out. It's a pretty fun and twisty single track, with a couple of climbs and some rock gardens here and there. There are also some bmx jumps in the middle. I saw 3 or 4 other people walking the trails with their dogs, no vagrants drinking OE 40s though. Worth checking out!!

Mtc
    mtbr member
    Wow that is an old thread.

Some Dude
    Yeah I was a little worried that maybe bikes were not allowed there after what I read, but I did not see any signs prohibiting them. I actually had to walk my bike up a couple hills (SS), but so far I like it. A lot of blind turns though, which could spell disaster. Are there any trails where the question mark is? It seemed like the church and another house was the border on that side. A lot of the trails seems like they could get better with more wear. Some of the trails just dead ended into trees all of a sudden.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    These trails are my "backyard" trails. It's a ride to put in a few quick miles if you don't have time for a Greenbelt epic, but nothing real exciting about it. The question mark area has some trails hikers have created, but they need wheels and connectors to be worth riding back there. Also, I think this may be a good place to do some hush hush building.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    But if we get permission, we might have a great trail close to where we live, all legal like. Meaning official, can't go away.
    Texas based trail builders: www.sstrails.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Agreed. I just dont know who to talk to. Im kind of an "ask for forgiveness rather than permission" guy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kill phil View Post
    hush hush building.
    not a good call but if you got ahold of Austin Ridge Riders you could propose being a trail steward for that park and they would put you in touch with who to talk to. Also down the road
    bikes wouldn't get banned because bikers built/maintain the trails. I tried to drum up some interest for a singletrack loop around Bartholomew Park but the city had a "masterplan" that will take decades to complete if it ever goes forward. Meeting the park people is a skill to be learned.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

Members who have read this thread: 0