Living and riding in Fort Worth/Dallas- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Living and riding in Fort Worth/Dallas

Considering moving to Fort Worth/Dallas area.

I'm tired of the North East...Too expensive to live and not much to look forward to.

How's the riding in the Fort Worth/Dallas area?

Is it a decent area to live for a young engineer?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    www.dorba.org
    Some great trails. Check out Big Cedar and Northshore

meh
    def one of the bigger (biggest?) job markets in the country currently, with a great cost of living
    what kind of engineering...im also an engineer (electrical/construction) and from my experience and friends, there are generally always openings from entry to experienced as far as engineering goes
    plenty of quality local riding, as well as the hill country to the south and the ouchita/ozark mtns to the north east for weekend trips

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu
    def one of the bigger (biggest?) job markets in the country currently, with a great cost of living
    what kind of engineering...im also an engineer (electrical/construction) and from my experience and friends, there are generally always openings from entry to experienced as far as engineering goes
    plenty of quality local riding, as well as the hill country to the south and the ouchita/ozark mtns to the north east for weekend trips
    I'm an electrical engineer. I'm very interested in moving to that area but not sure how to start. I plan on visiting in a few months to check out the area...Any tips would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    There are a number of good trails but the area is so big that where you live will play a role in how convenient it is to load up and drive to the trail. One of the primary reasons we moved to Flower Mound was because it is less than 10 minutes from Northshore. It's great to be able to head out there quickly when you don't have much time.

mtbr member
    The DORBA link will certainly give you the local flavor of what the area offers. You can also check out the site below for information, along with maps of bike shop and trail locations, to help you tweak when you might want to call home.
    Pedigre

since 4/10/2009
    do you like it hot?

The winters are mostly mild, with a couple of cold spells every year, but summertime is hot for months on end. I'm from the midwest/northeast and I had to adapt to the summer by riding at night when it's hot.

mtbr member
    I prefer mild weather but I cant let that be the deciding factor. How "country" is the FW area?

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus
    I prefer mild weather but I cant let that be the deciding factor. How "country" is the FW area?
    I've only been up that way a few times since it's a few hours from me. It's sorta country when compared to some of the bigger cities, but not nearly as country as where I live in east TX.

I know some people who grew up there. some are country, some aren't.

mtbr member
    Another option is Austin which seems less conservative than the rest of the state...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Another option is Austin which seems less conservative than the rest of the state...
    not really. Same as other big-ish cities. Maybe a few more hipster beards. Traffic for traffic!

mtbr member
    Yeah, that is the biggest downside to Austin. That and the traffic.
    Nobody cares...........

mtbr member
    Dallas & Fort Worth are not really big cities and are about 30mins apart, there are a few trails in the DFW area, but I dont think they are what you would call extreme. More XC or Freeride style.

I'm an engineer too (Electronics Hardware). I live near Grapevine Lake, also very convenient for the airport. What kind of work are you looking for? Electrical Engineer is still quite a broad skill, but it always makes me think of 110V systems. If you are more into electronics, then DFW is a very good place for your career.

I moved from Cleveland a couple of years ago, and while the summers do take a bit of getting used too (100F plus during the peak of summer) , I really do not miss the snowbelt and the 6ft of annual snowfall. As my friend from Cleveland says, "You don't have to shovel heat!"
    Last edited by BritOnTour; 02-25-2011 at 11:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BritOnTour
    Dallas & Fort Worth are not really big cities
    What's big to you? Dallas alone has 2.5 million people.

mtbr member
    New York City, London, Washington DC.

Dallas seems smaller to me, probably because its not built up like New York. It's the open-ness. That's what I like about it. I dont feel cramped.

meh
    Quote Originally Posted by BritOnTour
    New York City, London, Washington DC.

Dallas seems smaller to me, probably because its not built up like New York. It's the open-ness. That's what I like about it. I dont feel cramped.
    agree

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The cities in between Dallas and Ft. Worth have the majority of the good trails. Northshore, Horseshoe, Knob Hills, Cedar Hill, Big Cedar, etc.... Some great trails that are a bit of a drive: Isle Du Bois, Johnson Ranch, and Dinosaur Valley. DFW has a good variety for intermediate riding with a handful of more advanced trails.

mtbr member
    I lived in Fort Worth the past 3 years and didnt like it at all, so take this with a grain of salt:

EVerything in DFW (or all of Texas for that matter) is super spread out compared to the northeast. Dont expect to be able to walk anywhere (like down the street to a neighborhood grocery store or coffee shop) from your house. Its basically 1,500 square miles of suburban sprawl (obviously there are some exceptions). You're going to be driving. Alot. Chances are, you'll spend alot of time in traffic. Whether its 635, 75, I-35E, I-35W, 820, 183, I-30, you're going to get boned by the traffic.

The riding is decent but theres nothing really crazy. Its mostly XC with small climbs and sections of rocks. Northshore is probably the best trail overall. Big Cedar is pretty impressive and has some free-ride/DH stuff, but its Texas, so the descent isnt much longer than 30-45 seconds at most. IDB and Johnson Branch are a little more challenging from a rocky standpoint. Dino Valley probably has the most continuous descents of anything in the area, but its kind of a haul, especially from Dallas. It'd take well over an hour from Dallas to get there.

I moved to Austin 3 months ago (from Fort Worth) and like the riding more here (and most everything else). It seems like the vast majority of riders in DFW focus on racing which I dont really care about. Id rather just ride and have fun which I feel like is more of an Austin mentality.

Also, its seriously hot here. You have no idea. Are you sure you want to move here? Why aren;t you looking at Austin? If you have to live in Texas, this is the place to be. (Traffic is no worse here than DFW. only in DFW there are 20 different highways to avoid. Here, avoid MoPac and avoid I-35 around rush hour and you'll be fine)

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Don't rule out San Antonio. It's less "Plastic Fantastic" like Dallas is. Some pretty good trails too within city limits (Olmos, OP Schnabel, Gov't Canyon, and a big one on the NE side I forget the name, and within 30 minute drive are several state parks/natural areas. Cost of living is less, too.

Austin, can't vouch for anything MTB-wise, the city has its negatives and growing pains, but if you find the right spot to live, near work, shopping, trails, and don't have to venture far to reach neccesities , then you can avoid the negatives of Austin, yet still have the positives available if you choose.

mtbr member
    DFW is a great place to live for a young engineer. There are lots of aviation jobs out here and they always need engineers of all kinds. The scenery sucks but with the exception of 3 scorching months, the weather is pretty great. I have lived in Fort Worth pretty much my whole life (I am 26). I am not country at all and neither are any of my friends or family. The further you get away from the cities, the more country it gets.

The trails are pretty good from my point of view. Although keep in mind, this is all I know. There is a pretty good selection of trails and at all different difficulty levels. I have been riding off and on for 8 years now and I am still not sick of the trails here.

Its a great place to raise a family. People are pretty nice around here. Fort Worth tends to be a little more friendly than Dallas in my opinion. Cost of living is cheap and so are the houses. Tons of job opportunities too. Really the only downfall is that the scenery is freaking awful. With the exception of the women. We have lots of hot women.

mtbr member
    I live in Houston and travel to Dallas frequently (also an engineer) and always rent a bike from RIchardson Bike Mart and ride in the evening after work. My personal favorite is Rowlett Creek. Check out www dot dorba dot org (such a noob on this site it won't let me post links) for more information. Also for road riding, the 25mi White Rock Lake loop is not bad. Most of it is through green belt. I start from the north end of the trails and go out, around the lake and back.

Best of luck!

Members who have read this thread: 1