Lemons to Lemonade: when stuck in a drought go fat- Mtbr.com
    Wandering not Lost

Lemons to Lemonade: when stuck in a drought go fat

I am new to the fat bike gig, and have found my self well obsessed with the abilities of these bikes. With north Texas in a record drought and many of the area lakes are down 25% or more I saw what was a bad situation and tried to create an opportunity. Thus I bought my first fat bike, and I have set about exploring what has become countless miles of shoreline.

First off I set a buddy, a cartographer by trade, on the task of finding the shoreline mileage of the area lakes. When he handed me the results I was taken back. My closest lake, Lake Ray Roberts, just 10 miles north of Denton has over 230 miles of shoreline! I first tried it on my normal MTB and did so with some success, but often I had to stay far away from the waterline. It was fun but exploring but I could see it was limited... thus a Fat bike entered the mind and from then I was hooked. Now I have my Mukluk 2, which I have aptly named FUNJOB as an homage to the versatile Bond Girls. And after the first ride I was hooked and the path was set. Now I am hooked completely with several future trips planned and a goal of circumventing Ray Roberts via shoreline (as much as possible). Along with future trips to explore the Red River basin, and West Texas deserts. So I thought I would share a few pictures from some of my recent outings.

and one of the best uses of FUNJOB is pulling the train:

I know of one other guy here in Dallas that owns a Fatty, and I am sure there are others out there.
    Last edited by BThor; 11-21-2011 at 03:30 PM.

since 4/10/2009
    You're the first I've seen or heard of in Texas with a fatbike, so props to you. One of those might actually be useful on the many East Texas sandy horse trails around me...but I just spent over $1,000 on a new commuter, so no fatbike in my near future.

mtbr member
    I would really like to be the next...just gotta find the funding...not sure which bike I would have to sell to make room and keep peace in the home...