Lake Georgetown- Mtbr.com

Thread: Lake Georgetown

mtbr member
    Aug 2015

Cool-blue Rhythm Lake Georgetown

Hey,

I have been out to LGtown a few times and usually start at Camp Tejas. Two questions-
    1) have they managed to cut the weed/grass overgrowth on the trails?
    2) Camp Tejas is the only drop-in point I am familiar with. Any recommendations on another trailhead that would provide some intermediate riding?

Thanks,
    KS

mtbr member
    May 2011
    1) A group did some trimming last weekend.

2) If I'm not doing a full loop, I usually park at Russell and do R -> JH -> Overlook and back, or vice versa. That's my favorite section to ride - good intermediate chunk but nothing bad.

Mojo MadDuc
    Plus one on what Fontarin said. If you need more continue over the dam and do Cedar Breaks to Cedar Hollow. Mare sure you fill up on water at Cedar Breaks or Overlook. No water on the south side.
    MadDuc916
    2015 Hammerhead Thumper
    2011 Voodoo Canzo 29'er

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    May ride there Wednesday and just checking conditions? Any advise is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I can't locate a map that indicates where water can be had and not really wanting to filter lake water. Many suggestions?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MadDuc916 View Post
    Plus one on what Fontarin said. If you need more continue over the dam and do Cedar Breaks to Cedar Hollow. Mare sure you fill up on water at Cedar Breaks or Overlook. No water on the south side.
    There's actually water at Tejas. Just not in an intuitive spot - sort of in the middle of the field.

Edit: but yeah, it's a relatively long way between Breaks/Tejas, so make sure water is full. It'll take you a good 1-2 hours to get between them depending on speed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I ride a few time a week and start at jim hogg park. 3 miles in then turn around. Good up and down trails. A little rough on a hardtail but nice on a full suspension.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I wound up doing a 29 mile (so assume complete) loop in 4:05 with 3 liters and 16 ounces. I found no water along the way but actually didn't run out until the very end because it was mostly ice when I staerted. Went into the deal well hydrated but came out a little dehydrated. Didn't piss for a frightening 6 hours despite post ride hydration. Had a headache for two days. But was able to ride fine Two days later.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GlazedHam View Post
    I wound up doing a 29 mile (so assume complete) loop in 4:05 with 3 liters and 16 ounces. I found no water along the way but actually didn't run out until the very end because it was mostly ice when I staerted. Went into the deal well hydrated but came out a little dehydrated. Didn't piss for a frightening 6 hours despite post ride hydration. Had a headache for two days. But was able to ride fine Two days later.
    Here are some of the places you can get water (I'm sure there's some at Russell and Cedar Breaks too, I've just never had to stop there to fill up).

First is Jim Hogg (red square, orange square are entrances to trails), 2nd is Overlook, 3rd is Tejas.

Jim Hogg one is right against the gatehouse. They no have problem with people stopping to get water.

Overlook water is against the bathrooms (water fountain outside).

Tejas is in the middle of the field by the parking lot.

I'd guess that Cedar Breaks has one by the gatehouse too, if not there, then down by the bathrooms in the RV loop. I think any of the RV loop sites have water too, so if there's an empty one you can just fill up there.

Russell is the only one I'm not sure about - I've never stopped there because I usually fill up once and that's at Tejas or JH.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lake Georgetown-jh-water.jpg  

Lake Georgetown-overlook-water.jpg  

Lake Georgetown-tejaswater.jpg  

mtbr member
    Cedar Breaks water is at the bathroom front in of the day camping loop. You need to leave the trail head and aim down the hill towards water on pavement. It's on the right.
    Also there is spring water on the south side. Mile 3 or 4. I'd use in emergency only though.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.