Kingwood or The Woodlands?- Mtbr.com
    CAK

Jan 2004

Kingwood or The Woodlands?

May be moving to Texas by the end of the year, coming from SoCal. Looking at either The Woodlands or Kingwood. Are these good neighborhoods in Houston and which one of the two is nicest, less crime better schools? Don't mind being 20-30 miles from downtown. Any other nice parts that I should consider?

Hows the riding? Will my Reign be overkill? Are there any places within a couple hours drive with hills, rocks and such like we have in SoCal?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Woodlands is upscale but Kingwood is nice too. My brother lives in The Woodlands and he hasn't touched his bike in a year. Both are not too close to really technical trails. There's Huntsville and Double Lake but both are pretty easy. In Houston you've got Memorial Park and the Anthills and Cypresswood. 2-3 hours away are Rocky Hill and Warda which are a little more techy. And there's always Austin or Dallas for better trails but that's gonna be a 4 hour drive at least.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CAK
    May be moving to Texas by the end of the year, coming from SoCal. Looking at either The Woodlands or Kingwood. Are these good neighborhoods in Houston and which one of the two is nicest, less crime better schools? Don't mind being 20-30 miles from downtown. Any other nice parts that I should consider?

Hows the riding? Will my Reign be overkill? Are there any places within a couple hours drive with hills, rocks and such like we have in SoCal?

Thanks!
    I live in Kingwood. It is closer to downtown than the Woodlands and with 59 turned into a freaking superhighway, it is an easier commute, as well.

Both have pretty large and steady road riding clubs. Although I gave up the road a couple a months ago when one of my buddies got creamed by a car right behind me.

If you MTB, I think KW is a little better than WL's. Both have "greenbelt trails" which are basically hike and bike trails. Kingwood have 90 miles and making more every day.

Kingwood is closer to Double Lake. Woodlands is closer to Huntsville.

I think you can get homes in both places from the low 100's to well over 1 million.

mtbr member
    I lived in Kingwood before moving to College Station. Kingwood is smaller than Woodlands and when we were looking for a house we liked it more. I enjoyed living in Kingwood. Houston is NOT an MTB place though. Huntsville is OK - 45mins to 1hr drive from Kingwood.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Huntsville is nearer The Woodlands than Kingwood. The Woodlands is also nearer Austin. Both are equidistant to Memorial Park. I would choose The Woodlands over Kingwood.....well to be honest I would choose suicide before either since I'm a River Oaks dude.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I looked at both and ended up in Klein. Both are nice but the Woodlands is much bigger and farther away. You'll just have to look at them youself to decide. I'm in Venezuela past 2 years riding SoCal terrain on my Can. Prophet and looking to take it back to Houston and MTB there. Where in Huntsville do you all ride? I'm familiar with the motorcycle trails in Sam Houston - are there separate bicycle trails there too? Where is double lake? Thanks, and sorry to hijack the tread but I think CAK would want to knw too.

Mar 2006

My First post... YAY!

In Huntsville people ride at Huntsville State Park, not Sam Houston National Forest. If you head north on 45 you cant miss the signs for it, its a couple miles south of Huntsville. Double Lake is off 2025. I dont know where your coming from so I cant tell you the fastest or best route but here is a map.
    Double Lake

Mar 2006
    Double Lake and Huntsville are much closer to The Woodlands than kingwood.

given the choice of both I would choose The Woodlands since there is also some great road riding out there as well (if you're into that sort of thing)...........in addition there are some awesome hike and bike trails as well.

They also have a very strong Cycling Club that's very ACTIVE in promoting cycling in the community.........that should always count for something.

Bonus: There is a new MTB trail system being delevoped in Conroe which is even closer to the Woodlands than Huntsville or Double Lake

Members who have read this thread: 0