Just started biking and could use some help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Just started biking and could use some help

I am in the military and just recently came on orders to El Paso, TX. Immediately after seeing the terrain I knew i wanted to start biking. So I ordered a 2010 Trek 3900 disc hardtail special edition to start out with. The first couple days of riding I rode over 45 miles and loved it! The only problem is I got 4 flats every 10 miles it seemed. I love to ride rough terrain but due to my job and family I usually just get to go out for an hour or so a day around my neighbor or as far as I can ride with my gps without getting too lost in the area. So I'm usually riding streets, sidewalks, and normal El Paso terrain(lots of thorns everywhere). I've tried having a bike shop seal my tires, tried belle self sealing tires, the green slime stuff and still can not ride without getting a flat every time I go riding. If someone can give me some pointers to help me find what I need to ride with very limited flats it would be great. I don't know if I need better tires, a specific tube or what so please hit me up. My rim is a 26"x2". I'm looking for the best even if it's kinda expensive because it is even more expensive changing tubes every ride. Thanks, Levi.

Jacob 34:19
    Thank you for your service.

We don't have too much of a thorn problem out here in Dallas but the number flats I dealt with was reduced to next to nothing after going tubeless. Take a look at the No Tubes site. Chances are they have tubeless conversion kit for your rims. And depending on what tires you're running, you might consider switching to a tubeless ready or UST tire with a bit more tread to help ward off those thorns as well. I ran Hutchison Pythons for a year after switching to a tubeless setup and don't recall getting a single flat.

Good luck and enjoy some of that great food out there in El Paso while you're in town.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Going tubeless is really te only way to go here in El Paso. Once you get a chance to ride some of the trails around here you'll be glad you did.

meh
    go tubeless or get tire liners if you want to go cheaper, those slime tubes are a joke
    when you say "I've tried having a bike shop seal my tires" what do you mean, what did they actually do?

mtbr member
    I mountain biked around El Paso for years before moving out to Arizona. Slime Tubes work just fine in El Paso - but you will need to ride the trails around the Franklins to avoid all the massive sticker patches.

Members who have read this thread: 0