Jack Brooks and the tree roots.- Mtbr.com
    DNINIT

Jack Brooks and the tree roots.

For anyone that rides at JB you have all had a taste of the tree roots. Im looking for a better tire combo for some of the hills/roots any suggestions.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with itů Pee on it and walk away

Mar 2008
    I suggest you don't taste the roots. If you do, I think you're doing wrong.

I do not have any real advice to offer, sorry.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Ok, I can make a suggestion. After sitting behind a computer for 13 years, I bought a Rockhopper 29er this week. I rode most everything out there with my 8 year old son today, and I can say everything I have read about 29ers was true. I was able to stay in the saddle and crank up some of the narlyist sections with those big 29s. I drank the 29er koolaid and it is good!

Wanderer
    Small Block 8s suit that trail perfectly.

I just rode there Sunday and had zero problems with traction.

mtbr member
    Small block 8's are pretty good for dry conditions and very fast.

I typically run a Nevegal/Big Betty Combo most of the time though (but they can be heavy and slow).

mtbr member
    I third on SB8's.

They're my favorite Texas trail tire. I ran them on my old bike (26) and found no problems on ANY trails in TX. + they lighten up a wheelset nicely.

That being said new tires being pretty low on my list of things to purchase I am running Panaracer Rampages (29er) and love em'. High volume eats up the small stuff and Fox takes care of the rest.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Maverick ML8 or Durance with parallel path technology and a DUC32 up front. You will use the tree roots for acceleration.

f9a

mtbr member
    Well, I live just up the road from JBP and ride there several times a week. I run tubeless pythons on both my 29er and 26er. Almost all my friends run the same. I think it's the perfect tire. It is extremely sensitive to pressure, however, especially tubeless. A couple of psi make all the difference in the world for handling.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    My overwhelming fear of spiders prevents me from riding jack brooks...

I already had a run in with those things out in Armand Bayou...found myself in the forest amongst hundreds of thousands of the biggest spiders ive seen in texas.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Speaking of Brooks makes me ill. They are the worst customer-oriented company in the cycling business I have ever encountered. They refused to recondition or refund my $350 Ti saddle when it deformed due to excessive sweat exposure. In Texas. Friends, Lance and I ride ride the same darn trails and routes in Austin as everyone else.

Brookes is a broken company with terrible customer relations. I implore your to do business with anyone else. FSA, Terry, and FSA come to mind as quality alternatives.

-- c

Members who have read this thread: 0