Isle du Boise Park (aka Island in the Trees)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Isle du Boise Park (aka Island in the Trees)

Any N. Texans or others ride Isle du Boise up at Ray Roberts Lake yet? I live in McKinney but had already rode Erwin Park on thursday so I wanted to go somewhere else. I spent the morning on the DORBA site reading trail descriptions and picked this one. I was going to go as far as Johnson Branch but this one was a little bit closer. I have to say it was awesome. I am an east coast rider that transferred to Texas and this place was very close to the style of riding you find on the east coast. Tons of rocks, roots, leaves and loose dirt over hardpack. Plenty of climbs to work you out and the downhill portions were nice as well. It gets pretty tech in spots too. The foliage was way more than expected, orange, yellow, red, all the colors were there and it really made the ride and the perfect weather did not hurt either. I got a late start but still got in about a 2 1/2 hour ride. I did get a little confused with which trail I was on. I kept staying left as DORBA suggests but I am not sure if maybe people have decided to place their own trail markers thus making it a bit confusing if referencing the map from the DORBA site. Either way I will be going back ASAP! Its $5.00 per car load to get in the park but well worth it. This place is huge!
    I will be going to Johnson Branch next, which is on the other side of the lake an supposedly just as nice, but Island in the Trees I will make frequent trips to.

Basically if you have not been out there yet, you really need to make the effort to do so.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    ridden Johnson Branch during a race and I will say it was awesomeness.

Dec 2007
    Glad you enjoyed your day.

I rode Johnson Branch for the first time a month and a half ago. (been there three times now) I havn't ridden IDB yet. Probably ride it the next time I head that way. (I had planned to do IDB today but family showed up) Sounds like both trails are about the same...IDB may have more climbing ??? I'm looking forward to my next ride there.

Welcome to Texas
    Mikey

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I think I will head to JB next time out as it too sounds really good by description. The climbs at IDB may be a little longer and by others comments and reviews IDB may have a few more rocks thrown in too. It was really surreal up there Saturday with the perfect weather, foliage, small wildlife and huge birds (hawks, vultures etc.) and being solo and making every section a new personal challenge. If anyone is planning a ride to either JB or IDB sometime soon post it up, I would love to meet up with some others and ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    They are both great trails. JB has a little more flow to it. The rocks are bigger and spaced farther apart(some people actually go around by the looks of it). IDB's technical section is much rougher. Although you guys with gears and suspension may not notice.

mtbr member
    Love me some IDB and JB. You should make it a camping/riding excursion. Both parks have nice camp spots with good views. Both have nice white sandy swim beaches too. I prefer camping at JB over IDB only because JB is a bit more secluded. If you are a glutton for punishment, ride 'em both back to back. Hell, while you are up north, you might as well hit CrossTimbers. Epic craziness,,,
    Show Charlie Murphy your hubs

Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Gapp
    ...If you are a glutton for punishment, ride 'em both back to back. Hell, while you are up north, you might as well hit CrossTimbers. Epic craziness,,,
    That's what I was going to do today...but the phone message for JB says "Dorba trail closed". Oh well, rode Cross Timbers today and it was fun...I love that trail, especially the Lost Loop. I've ridden CT the day after a heavy rain without getting muddy...drains really well...at least from Cedar Bayou Marina to the west. Lots of leaves on the trail right now...

Mikey

Members who have read this thread: 0