I'm moving to East Texas!- Mtbr.com
    Manager
    Mar 2008

I'm moving to East Texas!

So I just got a job in Palestine and I will be moving back to Texas from Asheville North Carolina. I grew up in Houston but I have been living in western NC for 6 years and have fallen in love with mountain biking and I need to find out where the closest places for me to ride are, and meet some Texas mountain bikers!

I would love any information that you could pass on to me.

thanks!

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdbronco
    So I just got a job in Palestine and I will be moving back to Texas from Asheville North Carolina. I grew up in Houston but I have been living in western NC for 6 years and have fallen in love with mountain biking and I need to find out where the closest places for me to ride are, and meet some Texas mountain bikers!

thanks!
    Tyler State Park is a short drive away. It has a nice fast network of flowy trail. Also a pretty good local group that meets for rides. Check the board at the trailhead.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/f...t/parks/tyler/
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    I need to find out where the closest places for me to ride are, and meet some Texas mountain bikers!

Our Mountain Biking in Texas map should provide what you are looking for.
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

thanks!
    Not sure about trails but I moved out of East Texas about 10 years ago. I lived not far from you in Jacksonville. Pretty country but not much opportunity unless you have a good job offer which I'm sure you do. I hope you have fun riding there and good luck on your new job. Oh, and good luck washing the red dirt out of your clothes that you ride in. Much of the East Texas terrain is covered in rusted ore.

mtbr member
    You might be interested in this article re: Kit McConnico Park, which is about 10 miles further than Tyler SP, but a somewhat quicker drive.
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Tyler state park is your best bet. If you are into DJs and/or pump tracks shoot me a PM. I have it in Longview.

mtbr member
    Check this out also, it will be closer for you once it is built -
    http://www.tylerpaper.com/article/20...WS08/901200309

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by heckler_asx
    Check this out also, it will be closer for you once it is built -
    http://www.tylerpaper.com/article/20...WS08/901200309

Yeah, been watching and waiting for this one so I can add it...soon....soon...
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Bigdbronco, you should also check out the Davy Crockett Natl forest and see what's going on over there. We used to ride the 4C trail which was about 30 miles one way, but I hear mountainbikers are not allowed on the 4C anymore. Part of the 4C went through Wilderness, but we used the forest roads to bypass.Of course a few rode into the Wilderness, so they assumed anyone on mountainbikes were outlaw riding.
    There was chatter a few years ago about the forest service building a trail for mountainbikes, but I don't think that it happened. Mountainbikers should get a group of volunteers together and work with the forest service and maybe it could be done.

Call Tyler Simpson at Fitness and Adventure Sports in Whitehouse,TX.
    Great guy that has been mountainbiking and in bike business for many years. He's the mountainbike guru in ET.
    Tell him Robert in Arizona sent you.
    Rob

mtbr member
    Wow, I hope it was a seven or eight figure job that stole you away from Ashville so you can at least go back on the weekends for some good riding. Nothing like what you're leaving for many, many miles.

mtbr member
    that's what I was thinking, but didn't want to sound negative.
    I moved out to AZ as soon as I could---riding out here is awesome!!

Living in ET, you need to think hunting,fishing, and watersports also. There is some road biking, but beware----TX is NOT road bike friendly---yeah Lance is from TX,but the riding there is not good and dangerous.

Dec 2008
    Don't worry mtb in Texas rocks. I stumbled on a youtube video months ago. I am not sure if that is what your looking for, but check it out any way. I know Tx in general has a lot of XC. However, that does not mean that is all we have. My friends and I are working on making more freeride/northshore here in Texas.

This is somewhere in Tyler, Tx. . . I have not been here. I just saw the video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nik6Kds_svI

mtbr member
    Definately check out the trails near Hot Springs and Mena,Ark. Also Ruston,LA, Waco, and Austin area.
    Great trails up there for a long weekend of riding. Ark has trails similar to NC--Tsali,Asheivlle, and the like.

Also Big Bend area for great desert riding, but it's a looong drive---like 14 hrs from Tyler.
    If you drive that far, you might as well make it an AZ trip and we can show you some sick incredible trails --South Mountain, Sedona, Flagstaff, Black Canyon trail--
    Try to plan on doing the next AZSF in March .

Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedigre
    Yeah, been watching and waiting for this one so I can add it...soon....soon...

I live in Tyler. you can ride Faulker now. I suggest trying it. it is fun and not to difficult. There was still a lot of leaves on the trail when I rode it a few weeks ago but was still fun.

Members who have read this thread: 0