I'm going crazy! - Open Trails 1-2hr drive from DFW?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

I'm going crazy! - Open Trails 1-2hr drive from DFW?

Anyone have recommendations on where I can drive to find dry OPEN trails 1-2hrs away from DFW? Super wet here in N TX and all DFW trails remain closed. Bought my first bike this Thanksgiving.

I can drive 1-2hrs to get in a 2hr ride during the work week. So I'm willing to drive, but because I'm a noob, don't know where to go to escape the saturated soil. Do I need to drive all the way to Austin? That's a lot further and probably not doable as a day trip. But hey, maybe it's just what I have to do.

Thanks for any suggestions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TXPABIKER View Post
    Anyone have recommendations on where I can drive to find dry OPEN trails 1-2hrs away from DFW? Super wet here in N TX and all DFW trails remain closed. Bought my first bike this Thanksgiving.

I can drive 1-2hrs to get in a 2hr ride during the work week. So I'm willing to drive, but because I'm a noob, don't know where to go to escape the saturated soil. Do I need to drive all the way to Austin? That's a lot further and probably not doable as a day trip. But hey, maybe it's just what I have to do.

Thanks for any suggestions.
    Keep an eye on Glen Rose Dinosaur Valley, it dries out pretty fast and might open before some of our northern trails.

I feel you, haven't managed a trail ride since summer on my local trails. The few times they have been open I have been busy or out of town.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Give Mineral Wells state park a call. Not the best trails but they are trails. Even the trails in Waco are pretty muddy.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Will swerve for leaves.

mtbr member
    No kidding... riding in North Texas has been crap this last 6+ months.

Call Tyler State Park (to the east). Decent trails, worth the drive. Status isn't always reflected accurately on DORBA, so calling the park office is best. That goes for being open and closed, btw.

Map
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Know how you feel, live in San Antonio and am driving about an hour to an hour and a half every morning to get a ride in before work.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I called Dinosaur Valley State Park this AM and the recording stated that trails were beginning to open for hiking only. So, no bikes, but it's a start!

mtbr member
    That's impressive. I could do that one day a week. Good for you.

mtbr member
    I called Dinosaur Valley State Park this AM and the recording stated that trails were beginning to open for hiking only. So, no bikes, but it's a start!
    If you find out they open up, let us know. It's worth the drive to get on some good trails.

mtbr member
    I called this AM. Recording still says North of river open for hikers and South area open for hikers. I called back to ask a ranger about conditions for biking. Ranger stated the trails were open for riding. She stated that she'd been informed the same yesterday and that you'd get wet on water crossings. I didn't asked if it was too wet as she affirmed it was open.

I've never been. What's your guess on how the trails might look. From the y-tube videos, it looks fairly rocky. Slammed this week and work travel Friday. Maybe I can swing next Tues or Wednesday if the conditions hold up. Good luck.

EDIT: I would obviously call first. The ranger didn't state if both the North & South trails are open for biking. The park's Twitter feed suggest the South is open for biking. The topo map looks like all the fun is on the North side of the river. Is that a reasonable deduction?
    Last edited by TXPABIKER; 01-15-2019 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Add'l info

mtbr member
    Going bat s*** here too. We have driven as far as bentonville a couple time since Thanksgiving and looking to go somewhere else thats new now. I found RPR dries super fast in Burnett. 3 hours each way is a haul for a day trip, but I have done it a couple times now. Mother Nature needs to get back on her meds.

When you call Dino valley ask for a river depth at the crossing as well. Take a bandana or something to clean you feet after crossing. I have crossed in thigh deep water with some good moving current their in early summer, this time of year you might freeze off some hanging parts.
    I don't always listen to slayer, but when I do so do the neighbors.

mtbr member
    Yes, please someone refill her 'script. My younger brother in Houston was going to Spider Mtn for the opening this weekend, but he and his group are optioning RPR instead. I don't think my skills are quite RPR ready just yet. Hopefully I'll have some confidence by late Spring before it gets stupid hot.

Thx for the heads up about Dino Valley. Honestly, I'll take anything single track at this point. I'm almost equal distance between Harry Moss and Katie Jackson, if I could just catch a break...

mtbr member
    Yes, please someone refill her 'script. My younger brother in Houston was going to Spider Mtn for the opening this weekend, but he and his group are optioning RPR instead. I don't think my skills are quite RPR ready just yet. Hopefully I'll have some confidence by late Spring before it gets stupid hot.
    I lived near where you are for a long time.
    RPR is not bad at all if you stick the blue trails, and or other beginner intermediate trails and just have fun. not sure of all the names..... My wife really likes it, she has learned a lot their, being only her 2nd or third year riding. Possum kingdom is a decent ride. Lot of rock as well so dries a little earlier than most too. Drives not to bad.
    I don't always listen to slayer, but when I do so do the neighbors.

mtbr member
    I called this AM. Recording still says North of river open for hikers and South area open for hikers. I called back to ask a ranger about conditions for biking. Ranger stated the trails were open for riding. She stated that she'd been informed the same yesterday and that you'd get wet on water crossings. I didn't asked if it was too wet as she affirmed it was open.

I've never been. What's your guess on how the trails might look. From the y-tube videos, it looks fairly rocky. Slammed this week and work travel Friday. Maybe I can swing next Tues or Wednesday if the conditions hold up. Good luck.

EDIT: I would obviously call first. The ranger didn't state if both the North & South trails are open for biking. The park's Twitter feed suggest the South is open for biking. The topo map looks like all the fun is on the North side of the river. Is that a reasonable deduction?
    It's a lot of fun. It can be pretty rocky in areas for sure, but fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fredcook View Post
    No kidding... riding in North Texas has been crap this last 6+ months.

Call Tyler State Park (to the east). Decent trails, worth the drive. Status isn't always reflected accurately on DORBA, so calling the park office is best. That goes for being open and closed, btw.

Map
    Looks like Tyler SP is open!

Still nothing open in DFW proper though.

Unfortunately, 50% chance of rail Friday, 60% Saturday. Figures...

I'm going crazy! - Open Trails 1-2hr drive from DFW?-dorba20190115.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by astom22 View Post
    It's a lot of fun. It can be pretty rocky in areas for sure, but fun.

Dinosaur Valley is very rocky and thorny, so top off your sealant and/or carry a spare tube for sure.

Student of the Bike
    I lived in Dallas about 10 yrs ago and everyone would head to Tyler SP once the cabin fever from the rains would set it.

Now I'm in Austin and RPR (in Burnet) is the place. Although I've not done it wet myself, many around here state that its impervious to the rain. You can literally ride it the day after a big rain. Bonus: its a pretty killer place to ride no matter what
    -CJB

mtbr member
    Only trail open at the moment is Bridgeport Endeavor park, sandy loam that dries out fast.

We have did a few reroutes at Quanah Hill (CLOSED) and have a work day planned for SATURDAY MORNING 0900...we will be addressing a few areas and if everything works out, we are looking at maybe 3 days before we are back open. (TOTALLY WEATHER DEPENDANT).

We would love to see more people out on workdays helping with the trails.

Parks of Aledo trails (CLOSED), we have a contractor that will be out there this weekend working on drainage issues.

And Lasts nights WMBC meeting was GREAT!!!! Speaking with the city and it looks like we have TWO more properties that will be opening up for us to build multi purpose trail systems on. One of those will more than likely support a 14 plus mile system!!!

IF you want to check on local trail status of Quanah Hill or Parks of Aledo please refer to the Weatherford Mountain Bike Club facebook page.
    Nuun Ambassador 2017/2019
    Honey Stinger Ambassador 2018/2019
    Facebook Blog "Run with me"
    Instagram @Run_withme1972

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleinTexas View Post

And Lasts nights WMBC meeting was GREAT!!!! Speaking with the city and it looks like we have TWO more properties that will be opening up for us to build multi purpose trail systems on. One of those will more than likely support a 14 plus mile system!!!
    Damn, that's awesome. Glad to hear the city is still very much on board with developing new trails. The latest additions to Quanah are A+, and I don't live in the area anymore so I haven't ridden the Aledo trail but I'm sure it's primo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matadorCE View Post
    Damn, that's awesome. Glad to hear the city is still very much on board with developing new trails. The latest additions to Quanah are A+, and I don't live in the area anymore so I haven't ridden the Aledo trail but I'm sure it's primo.
    Aledo is a beginner trail and its a tad over 6 miles but it is built entirely within the Parks Of Aledo Housing Addition across the street for the high school. Its a fast flowy trail that is a hoot to rail on.

mtbr member
    Quanah Hill Is OPEN!!!!!!!!!!

Magically Delicious
    A couple of DORBA trails are now open.

Big Cedar, Boulder and Oak Cliff.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Cameron Park in Waco is in good shape. The roots & rocks can be slick but the dirt is nice. Plus The Ranch trails now has table tops, berms, rollers, drops, jumps (including a jump line that may be opened very soon). The waiver is at bikecommander.com (The Ranch at Cameron Park).

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by bitewerks View Post
    Cameron Park in Waco is in good shape. The roots & rocks can be slick but the dirt is nice. Plus The Ranch trails now has table tops, berms, rollers, drops, jumps (including a jump line that may be opened very soon). The waiver is at bikecommander.com (The Ranch at Cameron Park).
    Just as soon as I have a day off...

Will swerve for leaves.

mtbr member
    We've got sun and wind... am hoping Oakcliff opens up again Thursday. Had my 4yr old at home with me Monday for the holiday, so I couldn't get out Monday on MLK day.

Getting so close. Dino Valley says North side of River open to hikers and bikers!. Rangers said the water crossings are calf to ankle deep. Just FYI for those curious about Dino Valley.

mtbr member
    Quanah Hill is open in Weatherford. Rode it Monday. Nice trail, and has a new loop (El Bandido) in case yu haven't been there in a while. Quanah Hill is actually pretty dry, and even has a couple of sandy spots.

Magically Delicious
    Dino Valley says North side of River open to hikers and bikers!. Rangers said the water crossings are calf to ankle deep.
    I wonder if that means the water crossings are calf to ankle deep using the stepping stones or are they referring to the road crossing on the west side to the pasture? I suspect they are referring to the road crossing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    I wonder if that means the water crossings are calf to ankle deep using the stepping stones or are they referring to the road crossing on the west side to the pasture? I suspect they are referring to the road crossing.
    I m betting the road/low water crossing, that little crevasse in the middle can be slick at times!

The stepping stone side will put you in riding the correct direction but I hate crossing there.

Magically Delicious
    If it's wet, it's slippery there.

mtbr member
    Made it to Oak Cliff Nature Preserve today. It was my first time there and 4th trail ride on my new Stache 5. A few damp spots that probably don't get much sun light. Otherwise, the trail was a blast. Limited time and fitness kept me on white, yellow, orange, and half of red. With good mid-day traffic, it was 20 min door to trailhead. I'm thinking about heading out to Quanah Hill next week if the weather holds. I'm really hoping we get a nice windy & sunny stretch to help dry out the local trails.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Saw on Facebook that the trails in Cameron Park, Waco are good to go. Should be a nice weekend to go riding. Too bad it's my weekend to work.
    Will swerve for leaves.

Magically Delicious
    Nothshore is open and several others in DFW

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    Nothshore is open and several others in DFW
    Northshore is going to be a busy trail this weekend! I would expect Horseshoe to open (across the lake from Northshore) since it usually opens before Northshore.

7 of 36 North Texas trails are open this morning! Woo Hoo. Haven't been that many open since August or so!

mtbr member
    Made it to Quanah Hill today and the dirt was AWESOME!

mtbr member
    Rode Northshore yesterday. I have never seen Northshore this busy before since I started riding there in the mid 90's. The trail is actually in decent shape, with only a handful of small muddy dips.

11 of 36 trails are open as of this morning. Maybe we here in North Texas can get back to some trail riding normalcy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by fredcook View Post
    Rode Northshore yesterday. I have never seen Northshore this busy before since I started riding there in the mid 90's. The trail is actually in decent shape, with only a handful of small muddy dips.

11 of 36 trails are open as of this morning. Maybe we here in North Texas can get back to some trail riding normalcy.
    This is Texas, that's not possible this time of the year.

Will swerve for leaves.

mtbr member
    LOL, On my first lap at QH yesterday I quit counting how many peeps that I passed, it was a packed house, my second lap had a bit more breathing room and dropped a mid 29 lap time (did not do el bandido).

I paid Parks of Aledo a visit as they were just finishing the reroutes and new bridges, still some very slick corners that need to dry a bit more but its open!!

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Dino Valley only had 3 riders on it this morning. It is squishy in spots and the rocks were slick with the fog/drizzle today.
    2018 Santa Cruz Hightower CC
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0
    2015 Surly Karate Monkey Ops (commuter, gravel, fun))

Magically Delicious
    How deep was the river crossing? Where did you cross?