If I were to move to Austin.....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

If I were to move to Austin.....

what would be the best area to purchase a house that would be near some good trails and a nice neighborhood?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    There are trails all around Austin, but the majority seem to be concentrated to the west of town.

Student of the Bike
    The good thing about Austin is that its pretty easy to navigate by bicycle. I live in North Austin not too far from Walnut Creek. I regularly ride both road and mtn and can get to most any trail (or road ride) from my house. Sometimes this does mean riding 10 miles downtown to the Green Belt but thats part of the ride experience for me.

IMHO the hardest place to ride "around town" from is South Austin. Yes, you can get to a few nice trails from there, but all the Northern stuff is very hard to get to. Same can be said for the road riding...if you're into that kinda of thing.

If I were you, I'd figure out where your place of work will be and then use that as a guide to help determine home/work/trail navigability.

Welcome.
    CJB

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CBaron
    IMHO the hardest place to ride "around town" from is South Austin. Yes, you can get to a few nice trails from there, but all the Northern stuff is very hard to get to. Same can be said for the road riding...if you're into that kinda of thing.
    And by South Austin, it is primarily those living south of 71... there are very few good routes to get across the green belt or 71 safely with out either some good climbing or round about neighborhood routes.

Student of the Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by lost27
    And by South Austin, it is primarily those living south of 71... there are very few good routes to get across the green belt or 71 safely with out either some good climbing or round about neighborhood routes.
    You are correct Bill. I should qualify it by saying south of Ben White/71/290. However, since I'm a "northie", I consider everything south of the river to be all the same.

If you (Francine) could live central then you'd be set, but central is pretty costly and the houses tend to be much smaller. Once again, depends on what you are after.

Later,
    CJB

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Central is sweet, I can get to lots of trails fast. I can even get to the greenbelt easily from my place via the shoal creek greenbelt.

Austin is small enough that anywhere to live is good.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CBaron
    You are correct Bill. I should qualify it by saying south of Ben White/71/290. However, since I'm a "northie", I consider everything south of the river to be all the same.
    As at least a third generation native Austinite, I agree with Cody. Anything south of the river is considered south Austin. Those who live there vehemently deny this but inside know it's true.

D

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    If you can afford it then I personally would have to say that it's hard to beat central Austin in every way. Best of luck in your search and welcome!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I recommend East Austin. It has a huge bike community and you are able to find some good prices on homes. Just make sure to scope out the neighborhood first cause not all of it is as great.. its patchy.

Check out this site that has lists of trails.
    http://www.austinbike.com/index.asp

Honestly, Austin isnt that big of a city IMO. So wherever you live wont be a big deal to get to trails. Traffic however, can be bad, so find a spot that is close to a highway 35/183/Mopac and even better if your job is nearby.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike
    Central is sweet, I can get to lots of trails fast. I can even get to the greenbelt easily from my place via the shoal creek greenbelt.

Austin is small enough that anywhere to live is good.

I'm over in West Campus right off 22nd which is seems to be a pretty good locale for me. I'm not far from the Shoal Creek Greenbelt. What route do you take to get there? I'm guessing you ride to Zilker and start there? Where do you cross town lake and how do you get from the end of Shoal Creek Greenbelt over to Zilker?
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I take the SCGB down to the lake, ride around the lake to zilker and then head in from there.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Depends on your budget and the kind of cycling you want to do. Do you want to easily ride to the trail from your house? From work? Are there kids in the mix and you have to consider schools?

For old Central Austin and parts of south Austin, be prepared for $300,000+. My neighborhood (north) and within a few blocks of Walnut Creek Park, is in the
    +/- $200,000 range.
    Mary Miner is a great real estate agent and the wife of a mountain biker. She helped us when we bought our current house and perfectly priced the house we sold.
    http://www.maryminer.com/REALTOR.shtml
    You can't swing a cat without hitting a realtor in Austin, but I'd count her one of the really good ones.

Austin also has a great bike map showing all the dedicated bike routes. I can ride in bike lanes and very low traffic residential streets for all of my 9-mile commute from north Austin to the UT Austin campus. Austin now also has something called MetroRail, which I also ride. It has it limitations, but it does run on time and is very bike friendly -- you just roll your bike onto the train directly from the platform -- no steps.

Many, many possibilities. Come visit, ride around town and see what you think.

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/publicworks/bicycle.htm

Members who have read this thread: 0