If I were to move to Austin....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

If I were to move to Austin....

and I wanted to be in a nice middle class neighborhood near some of the best trails, what area should I look in? I would be moving from the east coast, so I have no knowledge of any areas in or around Austin. Thanks for any info.

mtbr member
    I'm in San Antonio, so I couldn't really tell ya' anything about the neighborhoods, but others I am sure will chime in and then you can get an idea of what trails are near and just how near using this.

Where on the east coast are you?
    Pedigre

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    I'll let the people who live in south Austin, i.e. south of the Colorado River, chime in for that part of town. Middle class neighborhoods in Austin within a reasonable riding distance to trails are: Crestview, Allandale, Clarksville, & Great Hills come to mind. Steiner Ranch has it's own decent trail system for home owners and their guests.

There are others, but I'll let someone else post their ideas.

D

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dburatti
    Steiner Ranch has it's own decent trail system for home owners and their guests.
    Yeah, I tried to get them to let me come check it out...request denied.
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    PM me with some of the details of your price range, where you hope to work and other details.

There are some good real estate people that are also riders that I can hook you up with.

You can find all of the info on the trails on my site.

In live in central austin, in rosedale. I can ride down to town lake from my neighborhood via the shoal creek greenbelt. The barton creek greenbelt, city park and walnut creek are all 10-15 minutes from my front door. However, my neighborhood is scarce on property so the costs are pretty high (I got in 12 years ago).
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by Francine
    and I wanted to be in a nice middle class neighborhood near some of the best trails, what area should I look in? I would be moving from the east coast, so I have no knowledge of any areas in or around Austin. Thanks for any info.

Check with Dewayne (dburatti) and John (austin bike), they live in ATX and have a good handle on the trails and the neighborhoods.

Cycling weather in Central Texas is awesome, today in the 70s.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    What do you define as "middle-class"? Any of the neighborhoods near the Manchaca/Slaughter area are suitable in my opinion. Granted home values have busted recently so some areas that were once considered high budget are closer to reality, but if you're looking for something in the $175K to $200K range you should look South or North. 78704 is still way out of most people's league. We live in the Texas Oaks area off Slaughter and Mary Moore Searight Park is my backyard; I literally ride out the back gate and onto the trails. A short drive to the southwest is Reimer's Ranch and Muleshoe Bend. About 30 minutes up Mopac to Parmer is Walnut Creek. Austin's small enough that most quality trails around town can be reached within a 15-20 minute drive. Hope this helps somewhat.

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedigre
    Yeah, I tried to get them to let me come check it out...request denied.
    If you are looking for a house there with a real estate agent, it shouldn't be a problem to be shown the trails.

D

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dburatti
    If you are looking for a house there with a real estate agent, it shouldn't be a problem to be shown the trails.

D
    not with purchasing a home in mind, but more for "research" purposes
    Pedigre

Austin, Texas
    Every Neighborhood on 2222 and 360 has a trail system attached to it. Steiner and Lakeway each have above average trails as does Travis Country.
    Austin, Texas

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I would shoot for the Brodie/William Cannon area in South Austin. 5 min. drive or 10-15 min ride to tons of sweet trails (approx. 30 miles to choose from). I've got someone who can help if you're interested in looking at some properties. She's MTBer friendly!

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by kill phil
    I've got someone who can help if you're interested in looking at some properties. She's MTBer friendly!

And there also is an MTBer friendly mortgage broker in ATX. Dawn is very helpful.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

former lurker
    I live at Spicewood Springs and 360. (NW Austin) and I am a few minutes' ride to any of about 6 badass trails.

Used to live in Travis Country (SW Austin) and there is a ton of access from there.

Members who have read this thread: 0