I want to ride around Huntsville- Mtbr.com
    since 4/10/2009

I want to ride around Huntsville

I'm thinking of heading down to this area (from Nacogdoches) to ride the weekend of July 16th. It's unlikely that I'll be coming down with anyone...there are really only a few mountain bikers up this way and it's hard enough for us to get together to ride locally.

I'd love to have a guide familiar with the options.

I'm not sure yet exactly how I want to do the trip...whether I want to spend the whole weekend riding (and maybe get in at both the state park and the national forest) and camping or whether I want to do just a day trip.

I do know with the heat, I'd rather not ride in the middle of the day. I have lights, so I can go after dark to extend an evening time slot. IME up here (doubt it's too much different down there), morning rides are a bit less pleasant due to the higher humidity. Evening rides are more comfortable for me. But both beat riding in the midday heat unless there's deep shade (with a breeze).

If anyone would like to ride that weekend, let me know. I ride a 4" travel xc/trail FS bike and I like moderately technical trails and good flow.

mtbr member
    I lived in Huntsville a few years ago. The S.P. trails aren't nearly as much fun as the trails next to S.F.A. but if your camping their I would recommend you ride them. Also their is a park on 7th street that has a couple miles of single track behind it. You could also stop by Double Lake on the way back. Not a very technical trail but very fast and flowy plus over 20 miles of trails.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pleepleus View Post
    I lived in Huntsville a few years ago. The S.P. trails aren't nearly as much fun as the trails next to S.F.A. but if your camping their I would recommend you ride them. Also their is a park on 7th street that has a couple miles of single track behind it. You could also stop by Double Lake on the way back. Not a very technical trail but very fast and flowy plus over 20 miles of trails.
    The trails at SFA are not the same as they were a few years ago...if that's what you're comparing to...total reroute in the past couple years. They're fun...but short. I'm wanting a change of pace from the local goods, and I've heard pretty good things about what's available in the vicinity of Huntsville.

XC racer
    May 2005
    I like the Huntsville State Park trail, but I'd bet it's really sandy right now. And even though cyclists are allowed in the National Forest trails south of the park, they're really designed and used mostly by motorcycles. I don't think you will find them fun at all unless you like sloshing down jeeproads through 1 foot of sand. I don't know of anything else in the immediate area, although the suggestion of Double Lake is good, they're not too far from Huntsville.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbscott View Post
    I like the Huntsville State Park trail, but I'd bet it's really sandy right now. And even though cyclists are allowed in the National Forest trails south of the park, they're really designed and used mostly by motorcycles. I don't think you will find them fun at all unless you like sloshing down jeeproads through 1 foot of sand. I don't know of anything else in the immediate area, although the suggestion of Double Lake is good, they're not too far from Huntsville.
    Double Lake, I believe, are the NF trails I was referring to. not the moto trails...I hate sandy moto trails.

mtbr member
    I rode the SFA trails 2 weeks ago. I just discovered the SFA trails about a year ago when my brother started school at SFA. I rode Huntsville about 2 months ago. Every time I go to Huntsville the trail seems to get wider and sandier. You have a kick ass trail in Nac. though I do wish it was longer. We don't have hills and switch backs like that around Houston, but I understand wanting to ride something different.

since 4/10/2009
    I rode the SFA trails 2 weeks ago. I just discovered the SFA trails about a year ago when my brother started school at SFA. I rode Huntsville about 2 months ago. Every time I go to Huntsville the trail seems to get wider and sandier. You have a kick ass trail in Nac. though I do wish it was longer. We don't have hills and switch backs like that around Houston, but I understand wanting to ride something different.
    okay, so you've seen the SFA stuff somewhat recently. we're still working on 'em (have some nice stuff in the works). I'm actually talking to the guy in charge right now about a workday on Friday. If you ever plan on coming up in the future, let me know and I'll show you around. We've got a little bit more trail you probably did not see.

I have measured some rides out there hitting everything at least once (and a couple spots more than once) at about 6mi. If I ride from my house, I can get 15mi pretty easy, but it's the same stuff all the time. I find myself wanting a change of scenery.

The trail in Lufkin is nice for an occasional change of pace, but it's very nontechnical and so fast that to get decent miles you have to do several loops and you start feeling like a hamster. that trail is good for riding with my wife or with other newbies.

I ride Tyler SP on occasion for a change, and my most recent trip there was not long ago. I tried Cypress Bend in Louisiana (it's about the same distance from me as Tyler SP) and I hated that trail with a passion...so much so that I didn't WANT to do a 2nd lap of the 6mi "long" loop. There are some other bike-able trails not too far from here...there's the Piney Creek trails on the Davey Crockett NF, but they're flat, wide horse trails that turn into sand pits this time of year. There are also some trails (unnamed, as far as I can tell) on the Angelina NF that are also sand pits this time of year, and they show signs of being thrashed by ATV's, although I'm told that ATV's are officially prohibited there.

if huntsville sp is pretty wide and sandy right now, it may not be worth the trip for me. are the trails in Houston proper in decent shape right now?

Is it Friday yet?
    The Houston trails are very dry right now. If you've never been here, here's some video of Memorial Park. http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...1&postcount=18

Call before you come. If we get rain, they close the trails. 713 221 0499 is the trail hotline.

mtbr member
    Ya I enter the trail at Collage st., ride the North loop, then climb the trail to the water tower and take one of the 3 trails downhill. Then climb the trail to the water tower 2 more times to take the other two downhill trails and creekside trail 3 times to get back to the start. I end up with at least 6 miles. I think I burn as much energy doing those 6 miles as riding 12 at Cypresscreek in Houston. Memorial is a good trail if you avoid the crowds (don't ride after 5 on a weekday) but its no more than 8 miles. If you want to drive almost to Galveston check out Jack Brooks Park but if your going to drive that far you might as well go to Dallas or central Texas.

XC racer
    May 2005
    Got LOTS of rain today, at least in central Houston. I'm sure MP will be closed for a few days but we really needed it. I know Double Lake has had some recent rain ( rode there on Monday), and with any luck Huntsville did too.

since 4/10/2009
    Ya I enter the trail at Collage st., ride the North loop, then climb the trail to the water tower and take one of the 3 trails downhill. Then climb the trail to the water tower 2 more times to take the other two downhill trails and creekside trail 3 times to get back to the start. I end up with at least 6 miles. I think I burn as much energy doing those 6 miles as riding 12 at Cypresscreek in Houston. Memorial is a good trail if you avoid the crowds (don't ride after 5 on a weekday) but its no more than 8 miles. If you want to drive almost to Galveston check out Jack Brooks Park but if your going to drive that far you might as well go to Dallas or central Texas.
    Did you find the short downhill loop off of the Perimeter trail (easternmost trail climbing the hill)? It's the one with the elevated bridge that ends with a 1-2' drop to tranny and fires you down a hill to some ladder bridges on the ground, across a tabletop, and then around a wall ride before sending you back up to Perimeter? Looks like we're going to be adding a (planned for quite some time) new jump in the vicinity of the ladder bridges. There will be a "big air" line and a "small air" line, if I remember right.

Did you see the giant downed (and partially cut up) water oak among the cane at the far end of the Creekside loop? That tree WAS blocking the trail when it fell, but as we started cutting it out, I decided I'd put some work into making a log ride out of it. It's currently being staged for a future workday when I'll clear out more of that cane and then level off the top and construct entrance/exit ramps on it. There are enough options there that I think I can put at least one "drop" line as an exit and put in some turns and alternate lines to make it a sessionable obstacle.

There are some more trails in town very close to the SFA Rec Trails you rode. There's the Lanana Creek Trail that starts at Main St. and goes up to Austin (currently being extended - unpaved - to the North Loop). The section from Pecan Park south to Main St. is all dirt and has a couple very techy spots. I can get one of them both ways (if I choose the right line), but the other I have only managed downhill so far. That one is a couple of irregular steps made from cut telephone poles and bordered on one side by a railing (and then a drop of about 10ft into the creek) and on the other side by a big tree and a cut bank. When I ride to the Rec Trails from home, I take this section instead of the roads.

There's currently a small paved loop south of Main St. but I hear on the grapevine that it will be connected to a short paved section along Banita Creek and then have more (possibly unpaved?) trail going north from there. There's already a short section of unpaved trail along Banita Creek that's disconnected from any other trails, so it's possible.

As for riding down south the 16th, I'll have to keep my options open, I guess. A guy just offered to ride with me in Cameron Park in Waco that day if I'm willing to make that trip. I was willing to make a 2hr trip to ride...but I'm not sure about 3.

mtbr member
    I found the downhill loop off the perimeter trail last time I was up their. I didn't ride the elevated bridge yet though. I almost passed the turn and had no speed coming up to it. One thing that trail system needs is better signage, It took me a few rides to figure out the trail. I didn't know about the Lanana Creek Trail, next time I'm up their I'll check it out.

I've never ridden Cameron Park, Its on my to do list though, I've heard good things about that trail. I think the park backs up to the Brazos River. I don't know if you fish but that part of the river is excellent for giant catfish and alligator gar.

since 4/10/2009
    I found the downhill loop off the perimeter trail last time I was up their. I didn't ride the elevated bridge yet though. I almost passed the turn and had no speed coming up to it. One thing that trail system needs is better signage, It took me a few rides to figure out the trail. I didn't know about the Lanana Creek Trail, next time I'm up their I'll check it out.
    yeah, the signage thing is one of our issues. My understanding is that the order for all of our signage (including the kiosk maps - we have 3 TH kiosks) was placed a long time ago and the company doing the work has been a problem. ROYAL PITA. We were supposed to have an official "Grand Opening" more than a year ago...yet AFAIK, there is still no official plan. That probably has more to do with the "gardens" part of the area, which is overlorded by the ag department.

I've never ridden Cameron Park, Its on my to do list though, I've heard good things about that trail. I think the park backs up to the Brazos River. I don't know if you fish but that part of the river is excellent for giant catfish and alligator gar.
    I fish a little bit, but mostly when I canoe or backpack. and I definitely don't have tackle stout enough to land any giant catfish or alligator gar. I mostly spin for river bass these days.

I might look into riding Cameron Park - after all, I have a standing invite.

mtbr member
    I rode the SFA trails again last weekend Nate. I'm not sure why you would want to ride any where near Houston when you have that in your backyard. Their was a new jump on perimeter and looks like ladder bridge with a drop is being built as well. The only thing missing is a teeter toter. The big log on creekside will make a bad ass log ride. The Lanana Creek Trail made for a good warm up, thanks for the info.

Let us know how Cameron Park compares, if you go next weekend.

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Nate, Cameron park has some pretty fun stuff. Lots of steep hills, switchbacks and very rooty in some places. I went there by myself for my first and only time and just kinda putted around exploring. If the guy that you're going with knows the trail system well it should be a pretty enjoyable ride. The only thing I didn't like about Cameron park though was there were a ton of people there. But I'm sure if you hit it early enough in the morning or later in the evening the poplulation should be down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles
    That depends. Can you go fvck yourself?

since 4/10/2009
    I rode the SFA trails again last weekend Nate. I'm not sure why you would want to ride any where near Houston when you have that in your backyard. Their was a new jump on perimeter and looks like ladder bridge with a drop is being built as well. The only thing missing is a teeter toter. The big log on creekside will make a bad ass log ride. The Lanana Creek Trail made for a good warm up, thanks for the info.

I dunno about any new jumps on Perimeter...I walked that trail on Friday checking for any potential problems and only saw evidence of a switchback being shortcut and an illegal entrance to the trails around the lower "traffic circle". Got some signage in mind for the switchback shortcut, and will probably use a similar barrier at the illegal entrance as what we're using on the pipeline ROW. We won't have to buy much to make it since we have some extra materials from that build.

I was there with a small crew on Friday working on that ladder bridge on the downhill. It was so bloody hot that we didn't get as much done as we had hoped. Might finish it this week. I think I'm going to wait until things cool off before I do any more work on the big downed oak along Creekside.

Yeah, I like the Lanana Creek Trail as a warmup. It's also a nice commute option instead of hot, sunny roads.

It's looking like I'm not going to be going anywhere to ride this coming weekend. I just have too much to do at the office and will probably be working. I should be able to fit a night ride, though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Not going to lie Huntsville SP is pretty sandy and the little rain it got last week has already dried out. There is some decent trail but again it is kind of wide. I am just so close its hard to justify not riding there. I was out there last weekend and the one before that and I will probably be out there this one as well. So if you want to join feel free to. I usually ride in the morning but have been wanting to try a night ride. There is usually not very much traffic, which is a plus unless there is a holiday or something is scheduled.

I have been wanting to try memorial park but just have not done it yet. As for the national forest I stay clear of that place because its a lot of jeep trail which does not interest me.
    Seeker of single track.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=
    I have been wanting to try memorial park but just have not done it yet. As for the national forest I stay clear of that place because its a lot of jeep trail which does not interest me.[/QUOTE]

Have you been to Double Lake Rec. Area. Their are about 20 miles of twisty single track that is for bikes and hikers only. That area is not as hilly as Huntsville but trail is a lot nicer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    No have not been out to Double lake but it sounds interesting. I am constantly busy with school here at SAM so finding time to ride is hard. I am doing good to go once a week which really is not even enough for my legs to stay in shape.

Double lake sounds fun, I like the prefer difficult trails and a change up would be nice. I will have to get out there eventually
    Seeker of single track.

since 4/10/2009

I just got word we have some signage that has been delivered. We'll probably start installing it soon.

That ladder bridge/drop is finished, and pretty nice. It was a bit too dark for me to give it a try on my ride the other night, but it's solid.

We had a teeter in the plans to be installed at the top of the hill at the entrance to Scooby. The LBS owner was supposed to do that for us, but it hasn't happened. Currently it's a back burner project to signage and some other things.

I have big plans for that big oak on Creekside. There will be a lot of hacking to clear out the cane, but the big trunk has two lines that should be rideable. One exit will be ramped for a smooth exit, but the other will be a drop line. I think the line closest to the trail will be the ramped exit so it can be connected to some more log on the opposite side of the trail. And being on that little loop, it will be easy to session.

mtbr member
    Sweet! If I can get a new derailleur hanger by Friday I'm planing on heading to Nac this weekend. I was riding Double Lake yesterday and snagged my derailleur on a limb. LBS said it could take up to a week to get a new one.

since 4/10/2009
    Bummer. Let me know if you're coming up.

Wrench
    You could always come to College Station and ride with me and the BVMBA guys! Lake Bryan is surprisingly nice for what it is. About 17 miles of single track to play around on.