Iím Bored...Letís Talk Tires :)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Iím Bored...Letís Talk Tires :)

Hey guys, itís only been about three months since the last tire thread so please humor me.

I ride either Boulder or NS pretty much 90% of the time. Iím about to buy some carbon hoops and need some tire recís in the 27.5 and 2.4-2.6 flavor. Wheels will be 30ís or 35ís.

From my research and based on where I ride most of the time Iím thinking:

Forkaster/Ardent Race f/r
    DHR2/ Ardent Race f/r
    Rekon/Rekon f/r

I feel an Ikon combo of some sort should be in there but I canít confirm if people run them mostly front or rear.

Thanks!
    Pivot Mach 5.5, Pivot Mach 429SL, Orbea Rallon M-Team, Evil The Following MB, Specialized Chisel, Ibis Hakka MX

mtbr member
    Are you stuck on Maxxis?

I ride as many of the trails in North Texas as I can 4-6 days a week. I used to ride various Maxxis tires because, well, that's what new bikes come with and seems to be most common on the shelves. I then tried Kenda Nevegals after a trip to Arkansas tore up my Maxxis tires, and honestly, liked them better than any Maxxis. Still have Nevegals X Pro's on the XC bike. My most recent bike purchase came with WTB's. Vigilante front, Trail Boss rear. These have been the best tires for me here in North Texas. With Maxxis and Kenda's, I've always felt there was something one did better than the other in one situation or another. The WTB's cover all the bases. I feel that they have been the best all 'round tire for what we have here in North Texas. The Vigilante front is the most confident feeling tire I can recall. And the Trail Boss really sticks for the kind of climbing we have (root, rocks, etc.), with good braking grip as well. It's funny. I used to ride WTB exclusively many, many years ago. I guess I've made full circle.

Incidentally, I ride NW Arkansas, New Mexico, Colorado, Nevada, California... and the WTB's are right at home anywhere I go.

In the end, they're all good tires, and personal preference comes into play like with anything.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    For when it's dry (which it usually is if you can ride either; I ride both all the time as you do) I'D go with Ardent Race 2.35 rear/Rekon 2.4 front or Rekon 2.4 rear/Rekon 2.6 front. If you travel or ride where you may pick up a lot more speed, then some more meat might be advisable.
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks!

Iíve ordered a Rekon 2.4f and Arden Race 2.3R. Hopefully the tires and lighter carbon hoops liven up my 5.5 bc it feels like an absolute slug in its current stock form.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Gios78 View Post
    Thanks!

Iíve ordered a Rekon 2.4f and Arden Race 2.3R. Hopefully the tires and lighter carbon hoops liven up my 5.5 bc it feels like an absolute slug in its current stock form.
    Let us know how it goes. FWIW, I had that bike and tried several tire combos and nothing really made it come alive. Just telling you my experience so you might think about it before throwing too much money at it trying to make it something it's not.
    Ibis Ripmo V2
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Update:

After experimenting with way too many tires Iíve settled on a 2.6 120 Forekaster front and a 2.6 60 Ardent Race rear. I set them up on new Enve M635s and I gotta say the Pivot feels so much better.

I think the wheel stiffness does a lot to improve the overall soft suspension character and mushy pedaling dynamics. It will never want to pop off of everything but coming out of corners and berms feels so much better. Iím very impressed with the tire set up especially with how easy it is control drifts and slippage.

I actually had the bike for sale but after these changes Iíve decided to keep it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gios78 View Post
    Update:

After experimenting with way too many tires Iíve settled on a 2.6 120 Forekaster front and a 2.6 60 Ardent Race rear. I set them up on new Enve M635s and I gotta say the Pivot feels so much better.

I think the wheel stiffness does a lot to improve the overall soft suspension character and mushy pedaling dynamics. It will never want to pop off of everything but coming out of corners and berms feels so much better. Iím very impressed with the tire set up especially with how easy it is control drifts and slippage.

I actually had the bike for sale but after these changes Iíve decided to keep it.
    How do you like the Forekaster up front and what led you to stick with it? I'm trying to decide which tires to throw on a Ripmo AF and have been considering everything from Forekaster, to Rekon, to Dissector, to DHF/DHR. I know there isn't a ton of need for a DHF/DHR combo, especially living in Houston, but I have a hardtail I will ride around here and will take the AF to Austin, among other spots. Rims are the stock 35 mm variety, and everyone says different things about tires. I am 220 pounds, so I feel like thicker, wider, beefier tires can't hurt in terms of durability. On the other hand, I don't want to over or under do it. Anyone, everyone, feel free to chime in!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Heretic Skeptic View Post
    How do you like the Forekaster up front and what led you to stick with it? I'm trying to decide which tires to throw on a Ripmo AF and have been considering everything from Forekaster, to Rekon, to Dissector, to DHF/DHR. I know there isn't a ton of need for a DHF/DHR combo, especially living in Houston, but I have a hardtail I will ride around here and will take the AF to Austin, among other spots. Rims are the stock 35 mm variety, and everyone says different things about tires. I am 220 pounds, so I feel like thicker, wider, beefier tires can't hurt in terms of durability. On the other hand, I don't want to over or under do it. Anyone, everyone, feel free to chime in!
    ForeKaster is my favorite Austin tire. It works well when itís super dry and when things get damp.

Lots of grip in loose over hard pack and the small rocks over hard. Itís the tire I would try first on my futur ripmo after the assageis come right off. Those and minions are overkill here and A pound heavier each than the forecaster. Excellent climbing traction going up limestone if you care about clearing stuff vs walking.

A wider tire does not mean it is thicker or more durable BTW.

Another combo that works is a Magic Mary 2.35 front and nobby nic 2.35 rear. MM would rail on sand in Houston.

Iíve run about 20-25 different tire combinations in the past few years. I usually put at least 500 miles on a combo unless itís terrible.

Now for the OP, my recommendation is different. I donít like the foreKaster as much in the kitty litter or zerotraction dust that some of CO has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FJSnoozer View Post
    ForeKaster is my favorite Austin tire. It works well when itís super dry and when things get damp.

Lots of grip in loose over hard pack and the small rocks over hard. Itís the tire I would try first on my futur ripmo after the assageis come right off. Those and minions are overkill here and A pound heavier each than the forecaster. Excellent climbing traction going up limestone if you care about clearing stuff vs walking.

A wider tire does not mean it is thicker or more durable BTW.

Another combo that works is a Magic Mary 2.35 front and nobby nic 2.35 rear. MM would rail on sand in Houston.

Iíve run about 20-25 different tire combinations in the past few years. I usually put at least 500 miles on a combo unless itís terrible.

Thanks for your reply! Do you run the Forekaster front and rear? My biggest concern with it is that it only comes in EXO at this time and I am a pretty big guy (220 pounds). I was reading a article on the Enduro MTB Magazine website outlining the details of tires. They were saying that over 90 kg of rider weight, EXO casings should be a no-go. They actually recommend EXO+ front and DD rear for a guy my size, but I admittedly know very little about tires or mountain biking in general. Got into it back in Seattle around 8 years ago, hit some trails for a while, then started a very time-consuming job and ended up only riding road on my hardtail.

At any rate, I've got an opportunity to choose my tires from the get-go and thus could bypass the Assegais ad get different tires. Trying to choose wisely, but it's tough to know what'll hold up to my size, offer enough grip during the fall/winter when I'll be riding, and not be overkill for trails I have yet to visit, haha! With the 35 mm rims, I'd be more inclined to run Forekaster 2.6 WT's than the 2.35's. In that case, assuming they'll handle my weight, would you run the Maxx peed up front and Dual in the rear? Seems the Maxx Speed is the only triple compound option in the 29er size and it seems most recommend a grippier tire up front.

Appreciate any and all insight!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Thanks for your reply! Do you run the Forekaster front and rear? My biggest concern with it is that it only comes in EXO at this time and I am a pretty big guy (220 pounds). I was reading a article on the Enduro MTB Magazine website outlining the details of tires. They were saying that over 90 kg of rider weight, EXO casings should be a no-go. They actually recommend EXO+ front and DD rear for a guy my size, but I admittedly know very little about tires or mountain biking in general. Got into it back in Seattle around 8 years ago, hit some trails for a while, then started a very time-consuming job and ended up only riding road on my hardtail.

At any rate, I've got an opportunity to choose my tires from the get-go and thus could bypass the Assegais ad get different tires. Trying to choose wisely, but it's tough to know what'll hold up to my size, offer enough grip during the fall/winter when I'll be riding, and not be overkill for trails I have yet to visit, haha! With the 35 mm rims, I'd be more inclined to run Forekaster 2.6 WT's than the 2.35's. In that case, assuming they'll handle my weight, would you run the Maxx peed up front and Dual in the rear? Seems the Maxx Speed is the only triple compound option in the 29er size and it seems most recommend a grippier tire up front.

Appreciate any and all insight!
    A few things.

1. I do run them FR at times. ForeKaster 2.35s are very low volume, so you would definitely need the 2.6. The knobs are the only thing that gets them to 2.35 width. Where as a Schwalbe 2.35 is large. The MM, NN and HD all measure around 62mm on a 35mm rim at the casing. I also rarely pinch flat one unless I make a huge line choice error at full DH race pace. They are always fixed in a minute with a dynaplug even is split at the rim.

The IKON 2.35 tires is absolutely massive on the other hand, and has been unbelievably reliable and hard to flat because the volume and TPI.

2. There is a tendacy to overtire and then this tendency to over protect. You can be a tire killer who rides bad lines, or a heavy lander (often line choice) or you may have a different style where you dance around and skip over the tops of rocks with ease. Being from Houston, I wouldnít expect you to be an expert at central Texas lines, but who knows.

I donít like these comments about needing exo+ or DD casing, from They also donít ride as well as 120 tpi casing in the rocks.

That weight limit is total BS. Inflate your tires properly. At the end of the day, you must get the tire that matches your skill or lack there of in handling a bike and tendency to take bad lines. Or just run more PSI. How many of folks religiously set psi to the half psi at the trail head? It changes 2 psi transitioning from indoors to a warm outside, or a 120 degree garage to a 95 degree outdoor ride. That psi is enough to get massive rim strikes and pinch flats.

Now IF you are racing enduro at the pointy end, you canít afford any flat. There is your use case.

Full disclosure, I have pinch flatted more foreKasters than any other tire. It has caused me to DNF one race and cost me 10 minutes in another marathon. All of these instances were due to me underinflating the tires a bit. The DNF I flatted at 40 mph and didnít see I had 3 holes Until I was completely through all of my C02. I rarely ever have any issue

Dynaplug For the win! If you arenít racing, you fix it and are on your way. We retired my wifeís last nobby nic on her enduro with 12 plugs.

I have probably spent the most amount of miles on a nobby nic/Nobby nic combo. I have rarely had any issue with flats. They seem to be better with rim strikes and line mistakes than the foreKaster. So I am also tempted to try a 2.6/2.6 Nobby Nic on a ripmo build as well. Itís tough, because the ForeKaster has slightly more absolute cornering grip In central Texas, but not in all soils.

3. I would just ride max speed all around. The dual is a 60tpi casing and the max speed is 120

We buy tires in bulk from here:
    https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...ng-tyre-886412

Our last box of 16 tires got stuck in customs due to COVID?, but other than that have arrived promptly.

mtbr member
    A few things.

1. I do run them FR at times. ForeKaster 2.35s are very low volume, so you would definitely need the 2.6. The knobs are the only thing that gets them to 2.35 width. Where as a Schwalbe 2.35 is large. The MM, NN and HD all measure around 62mm on a 35mm rim at the casing. I also rarely pinch flat one unless I make a huge line choice error at full DH race pace. They are always fixed in a minute with a dynaplug even is split at the rim.

The IKON 2.35 tires is absolutely massive on the other hand, and has been unbelievably reliable and hard to flat because the volume and TPI.

2. There is a tendacy to overtire and then this tendency to over protect. You can be a tire killer who rides bad lines, or a heavy lander (often line choice) or you may have a different style where you dance around and skip over the tops of rocks with ease. Being from Houston, I wouldnít expect you to be an expert at central Texas lines, but who knows.

I donít like these comments about needing exo+ or DD casing, from They also donít ride as well as 120 tpi casing in the rocks.

That weight limit is total BS. Inflate your tires properly. At the end of the day, you must get the tire that matches your skill or lack there of in handling a bike and tendency to take bad lines. Or just run more PSI. How many of folks religiously set psi to the half psi at the trail head? It changes 2 psi transitioning from indoors to a warm outside, or a 120 degree garage to a 95 degree outdoor ride. That psi is enough to get massive rim strikes and pinch flats.

Now IF you are racing enduro at the pointy end, you canít afford any flat. There is your use case.

Full disclosure, I have pinch flatted more foreKasters than any other tire. It has caused me to DNF one race and cost me 10 minutes in another marathon. All of these instances were due to me underinflating the tires a bit. The DNF I flatted at 40 mph and didnít see I had 3 holes Until I was completely through all of my C02. I rarely ever have any issue

Dynaplug For the win! If you arenít racing, you fix it and are on your way. We retired my wifeís last nobby nic on her enduro with 12 plugs.

I have probably spent the most amount of miles on a nobby nic/Nobby nic combo. I have rarely had any issue with flats. They seem to be better with rim strikes and line mistakes than the foreKaster. So I am also tempted to try a 2.6/2.6 Nobby Nic on a ripmo build as well. Itís tough, because the ForeKaster has slightly more absolute cornering grip In central Texas, but not in all soils.

3. I would just ride max speed all around. The dual is a 60tpi casing and the max speed is 120

We buy tires in bulk from here:
    https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...ng-tyre-886412

Our last box of 16 tires got stuck in customs due to COVID?, but other than that have arrived promptly.

I appreciate all of this info! I think I want to go with Forekasters F/R, especially as I am a newbie with no speed who would likely do much better with grip. Tempted to just buy the Forekasters and have the bike come stock with a better set of tires since the Forecasters can be found on the cheap. Do you feel Forekasters are solid even at spots like Spider Mountain and Emma Long?

I keep hearing that the dual compound will wear more slowly on the rear, which is why I am considering the dual out back. As you said, I will definitely need 2.6's with the 35 mm rims.

Am I understanding correctly, that you are planning on getting a Ripmo yourself? If so, we should link up in Austin and demo one for a day somewhere since you know the trails and I know nada, haha. I am from Seattle, but moved here 2 years ago so really, I know zero trails, even here in Houston. I just bought the hardtail a few months back from Pinkbike, but have only been riding around town, 10-12 miles a few days per week. School and family have kept me super busy, but I'm ready to make time to hit some trails.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts about linking up in Austin, as well as additional thoughts about my Forekaster ideas. I know where we can get an AF demo right now (you probably do as well) and it would be dope to grab it and take one other bike, and do some exchanged riding. Hopefully you're close to my height and weight (5' 11" 220 lbs). I've been wanting to demo the AF available in Austin, but wouldn't know where to go with it. Let me know!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Iíd throw the assegai on for Spider only because spider mountain dirt absolutely sucks. The place is usually blown out AF.

I would not be concerned about treadlife. Get the better tire. Even the good stuff from Maxxis lasts a long time. You should get 1000+ miles out of it on the rear and more than twice on the front. Trust me, you want the better maxxspeed120 tpi tire as it will be better on central Texas trails/rocks. You can ďrideĒ ema with most any MTB tire. There a fair amount of walking for most people since they have reversed it and with the Moto erosion.

I will build up a ripmo one day. Unfortunately I liked the v1, but they are all gone.

Iím happy to connect with you for a ride one day eventually. I can also send you a route or two.

When I first started racing, I was 210 in gear. Now Iím around 190 all geared up but trending lighter.

mtbr member
    Iíd throw the assegai on for Spider only because spider mountain dirt absolutely sucks. The place is usually blown out AF.

I would not be concerned about treadlife. Get the better tire. Even the good stuff from Maxxis lasts a long time. You should get 1000+ miles out of it on the rear and more than twice on the front. Trust me, you want the better maxxspeed120 tpi tire as it will be better on central Texas trails/rocks. You can ďrideĒ ema with most any MTB tire. There a fair amount of walking for most people since they have reversed it and with the Moto erosion.

I will build up a ripmo one day. Unfortunately I liked the v1, but they are all gone.

Iím happy to connect with you for a ride one day eventually. I can also send you a route or two.

When I first started racing, I was 210 in gear. Now Iím around 190 all geared up but trending lighter.

Word up! I'll be riding my hardtail more out in Houston anyway, so I'm likely to put very few miles on the AF tires.

For Spider, would you run twin Assegais? Seems like grip is all that matters at a bike park, but I'm green as hell.

Sucks that you didn't get your hands on a V1 Ripmo. That bike definitely seemed to be universally heralded as the ultimate trail bike. I've been halfway contemplating seeing if I can switch my AF deposit to a Ripmo V2. At my size and skill level, however, the alloy bike just makes a lot of sense. I kinda let the reviews of the Ripmo V2 sway me, as most are calling the V2 the best trail bike ever, while the AF is "solid for the money" but heavy. I am heavy, so it really isn't gonna matter. I've also become interested in the Forbidden Druid, but it's probably not worth it. I worry a bit about the leverage ratio of the AF, though plenty of 220+ owners have had good things to say in the AF thread.

I'm definitely down to connect. I was gonna take a physics class this summer, but it looks like fall term will be better, eve though it means taking it without biochemistry. I other words, I've got some time on my hands this summer and would love to link sooner than later. Not sure what your schedule looks like, but I'm ready whenever and also respect if you're too busy or not doing the social thing at this time. I'm also very interested in the routes! Let me know, either way!
    Last edited by Heretic Skeptic; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Word up! I'll be riding my hardtail more out in Houston anyway, so I'm likely to out very few miles on the AF tires.

For Spider, would you run twin Assegais? Seems like grip is all that matters at a bike park, but I'm green as hell.

Sucks that you didn't get your hands on a V1 Ripmo. That bike definitely seemed to be universally heralded as the ultimate trail bike. I've been halfway contemplating seeing if I can switch my AF deposit to a Ripmo V2. At my size and skill level, however, the alloy bike just makes a lot of sense. I kinda let the reviews of the Ripmo V2 sway me, as most are calling the V2 the best trail bike ever, while the AF is "solid for the money" but heavy. I am heavy, so it really isn't gonna matter. I've also become interested in the Forbidden Druid, but it's probably not worth it. I worry a bit about the leverage ratio of the AF, though plenty of 220+ owners have had good things to say in the AF thread.

I'm definitely dow to connect. I was gonna take a physics class this summer, but it looks like fall term will be better, eve though it means taking it without biochemistry. I other words, I've got some time on my hands this summer and would love to link sooner than later. Not sure what your schedule looks like, but I'm ready whenever and also respect if you're too busy or not doing the social thing at this time. I'm also very interested in the routes! Let me know, either way!
    As a beginner, the more grip the better. Itís going to be downright nasty out there this summer.

There are also much much better trails that are free or 10 bucks. IMO

Go camp at Flat Rock ranch if they are allowing it. Itís well marked and you can also practice on the enduro lines as well as the standard loops. Reveille peak ranch is good too and has some super technical riding as well as some jump lines that are are pretty advanced.

For Houston, you should link up with some of the groups there like the Cypress creek trails Facebook group.

mtbr member
    As a beginner, the more grip the better. Itís going to be downright nasty out there this summer.

There are also much much better trails that are free or 10 bucks. IMO

Go camp at Flat Rock ranch if they are allowing it. Itís well marked and you can also practice on the enduro lines as well as the standard loops. Reveille peak ranch is good too and has some super technical riding as well as some jump lines that are are pretty advanced.

For Houston, you should link up with some of the groups there like the Cypress creek trails Facebook group.

What do you mean when you say nasty? Something about the terrain in particular? I guess I should just stick with the Assegais in that case, and buy a pair of Forekasters to have an alternate set to roll on. I'm guessing Assegai front and Aggressor or Dissector rear would be better than Assegai F/R.

I gotta check out some of these spots you've mentioned. I'm always worried about getting lost since I don't know shit, haha. I do need to link up with some Houston folks. I gotta hit up some of these FB pages of the groups I've been made aware of.
    Last edited by Heretic Skeptic; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

What do you mean when you say nasty? Something about the terrain in particular? I guess I should just stick with the Assegais in that case, and buy a pair of Forekasters to have an alternate set to roll on. I'm guessing Assegai front and Aggressor or Dissector rear would be better than Assegai F/R.

I gotta check out some of these spots you've mentioned. I'm alway worried about getting lost since I don't know shit, haha. I do need to like up with some Houston folks. I gotta hit up some of these FB pages of the groups I've been made aware of.
    Their soil is garbage, the trails arenít much better. When there has been no rain for 5 days expect it to be a dust bowl and blown out.

Some of the easy stuff gets loose as hell. Iíve seen a lot of beginners get knocked out. Because of that, just roll with the stock tires out there. But you arenít going to want to pedal those things around Houston. Really thatís not the bike for Houston anyways. Houston is good on a single speed hardtail.

If you go to flat rock, all the loops are well marked. Cameron park is all on google maps and ever trail has a sign which is cool.
    Walnut Creek in Austin is a maze and itís best to grab a group ride to help you flow a loop.
    Pace bend is marked with signs and yellow dots for a loop
    Brushy Creek 20+ mi On Trailforks
    Greenbelt you will get lost and it will take you years to learn the 60+ miles of trail and how they all connect, but thatís half the fun.
    Lots of Houston people will go to Rocky Hill because itís only 2 hours away. There is a jump trail there and about 25 miles of trail. It is a very different piece of property than anything in Texas.
    In addition, we have:
    SATN: 80+ mi
    Mt Lakeway
    Lake Georgetown 26mi loop of awesome chunk
    Kens
    Reimers
    Mule shoe
    Cat Mountain
    And lots of stuff off grid that canít me mapped or posted which is awesome

Start with all of those and go from there. I have zero desire to spend the time and money to go to Spider when I can ride better trails out my door for free.

mtbr member
    Their soil is garbage, the trails arenít much better. When there has been no rain for 5 days expect it to be a dust bowl and blown out.

Some of the easy stuff gets loose as hell. Iíve seen a lot of beginners get knocked out. Because of that, just roll with the stock tires out there. But you arenít going to want to pedal those things around Houston. Really thatís not the bike for Houston anyways. Houston is good on a single speed hardtail.

If you go to flat rock, all the loops are well marked. Cameron park is all on google maps and ever trail has a sign which is cool.
    Walnut Creek in Austin is a maze and itís best to grab a group ride to help you flow a loop.
    Pace bend is marked with signs and yellow dots for a loop
    Brushy Creek 20+ mi On Trailforks
    Greenbelt you will get lost and it will take you years to learn the 60+ miles of trail and how they all connect, but thatís half the fun.
    Lots of Houston people will go to Rocky Hill because itís only 2 hours away. There is a jump trail there and about 25 miles of trail. It is a very different piece of property than anything in Texas.
    In addition, we have:
    SATN: 80+ mi
    Mt Lakeway
    Lake Georgetown 26mi loop of awesome chunk
    Kens
    Reimers
    Mule shoe
    Cat Mountain
    And lots of stuff off grid that canít me mapped or posted which is awesome

Start with all of those and go from there. I have zero desire to spend the time and money to go to Spider when I can ride better trails out my door for free.

Got you! So outside of Houston, as a beginner it's probably best to stick with he Assegais or maybe a DHF/DHR combo. Yeah I plan to mostly mob the hardtail out here. Obviously I won't be able to resist riding the AF out here from time to time, but it likely will be super boring. Plus, I like my hardtail and literally JUST got the cockpit figured out about 10 minutes ago. Needed some riser bars with a bit more sweep. Happy as hell right now!

Yeah man, just let me know when you're free to ride. I decided to take the physics class in the fall with biochem, so I'm fairly free this summer until late August. Always down to link up! Thanks for all of the info. I'll be referencing this thread for a while, as I get used to hitting trails in Austin.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    all I gotta say about Texas and tires is they wear out faster here. I'm from CA.

It's probably the Slick rock at reveille Peak and all the jumps and turns at spider mountain.

It's been challenging handling the heat.
    Crusin' on a fake duck with a Sharks jersey on and a pig's tail in my fork

mtbr member
    I live in Houston and ride all the trails here. Canít comment on tires because I weigh 155, lol. Iíve used and liked Nobby Nic/Rocket Ron 2.6, and currently Iím running Dissector/Rekon dual 2.4. I love me a good hardtail out here too. I had a nice Cotic Soul steel frame built up and then transferred all parts to a heavy alloy 5010. Love the bike but not the weight. Iím soon going to be building a titanium single speed. (Kingdom Vendetta) Itíll be my first ti AND single speed. Pretty excited. Anyway, let me know if you wanna ride some Htown trails, I ride most weekends.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FeedTheWolf View Post
    I live in Houston and ride all the trails here. Canít comment on tires because I weigh 155, lol. Iíve used and liked Nobby Nic/Rocket Ron 2.6, and currently Iím running Dissector/Rekon dual 2.4. I love me a good hardtail out here too. I had a nice Cotic Soul steel frame built up and then transferred all parts to a heavy alloy 5010. Love the bike but not the weight. Iím soon going to be building a titanium single speed. (Kingdom Vendetta) Itíll be my first ti AND single speed. Pretty excited. Anyway, let me know if you wanna ride some Htown trails, I ride most weekends.

Yo! I am definitely dow to ride some Houston trails. You going this weekend? I'm more out of shape than ever, but could definitely use a trail ride. Would be my first, so I am pretty eager to do it!

mtbr member
    Yo! I am definitely dow to ride some Houston trails. You going this weekend? I'm more out of shape than ever, but could definitely use a trail ride. Would be my first, so I am pretty eager to do it!
    Yep! Might be doing the Bike Land weekly group ride at Cypresswood. Check out their Facebook page. Otherwise nothing solid planned, Iíll let you know!

mtbr member
    Yep! Might be doing the Bike Land weekly group ride at Cypresswood. Check out their Facebook page. Otherwise nothing solid planned, Iíll let you know!

Okay cool. How long are those rides, typically?

mtbr member
    Okay cool. How long are those rides, typically?
    10-12 miles, 2-3 hours. They stop a lot to regroup.

mtbr member
    10-12 miles, 2-3 hours. They stop a lot to regroup.

Ah okay, that sounds cool.