Huntsville, anyone?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Huntsville, anyone?

Just wondering who's gonna be at the race this weekend. I've never ridden out there (will be doing a pre-ride on Saturday) and was wondering what type of course/conditions I should expect. Does it have any resemblance to any other central Texas trails or race courses?

Ian
    ......I'll be racing in the Mens Beginner 19-29 class

mtbr member
    Nobody else is going?

Lame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Its been hard for me to make any races lately.i have just been to busy with the kids lately.

i only was able to make the 24hr race because we had it planned so far in advance

besides i havent been riding much and am getting out of shape.i was seriosly hurting during the 24race.

i am going to try and get in better shape and ride the spring series.

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006

Will be there on Satuday...

I'll be out there on Saturday to take the Pedalmashers.com clinic. I was planning on entering the race but was told it was a 2 mile course only to find out it's 10 miles! I've been training for 2. This would have been my first race ever but now I have to wait till next year. Bummer. Perhaps I'll see you out there Saturday.

MC Hammer
    The one word that best describes HV is sand! that place is known for being sandy as hell so pack your best sand tires and pick your lines carefully.

It's a fun fun course though, not too technical but can be ridden fast............. few climbs here and there but nothing serious, just be careful on the bridges as they can be slick when wet

soccerdude, it's prolly about 7-8 miles long, don't let that scare you, if you're trained for 2 you should be good for 5 more.

you should definitely race dude!!!! racing is about challenging yourself mentally and physically..............trust me you'll be happier with yourself for giving it a shot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XC Dawg
    you should definitely race dude!!!! racing is about challenging yourself mentally and physically..............trust me you'll be happier with yourself for giving it a shot
    I agree. soccerdude, you need to at least try. I've only been riding for a little over a year and only racing for the about two months. My first race was at Camp Eagle which many consdier to be a tough course. I like rocky, hilly, techinical stuff so I liked it, but it was tough. Race pace was definately faster than I expected, but don't get yourself too worried. Just give it a shot. Who cares if you come in DFL? It's your first race. Just finish and have fun.

If you're going to the PedalMasher clinic you may bump into me. Keep an eye out for the big guy (6'3", 205+lbs) on the silver/white Kona Kikapu you see in my avatar. I won't be at the clinic, but I'll be in and around the tent/team area at some point. I joined their race team a while ago as NRC (the team's other main co-sponser) has been my hometown LBS since I started riding. It just made sense for me to 'sign on' with them if I was going to get involved in the whole racing thing.

Jay's lessons given during the Beginner's Clinic will be very helpful. He's been doing this for a while and has some great advice to give. Pay attention, and be sure to go on the group's post-class pre-ride of the race course. It helps you to know what to expect on Sunday. It's a slow paced no-drop ride where you can get advise on how to attack a challenging section or obstacle in the course (if there even are any).

See you there. Good luck! Which class will you be entering? Beginner I'm sure, but what age group?

Ian

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006

Can't go...

I've decided that I'm going to give up on the whole racing scene and just stick with riding the streets around my neighborhood.

Just kidding. It turns out I have a soccer game scheduled for 11:00 am on Sunday so I can't make the race anyways. I'm the manager so I must attend. I will make the Saturday Pedalmashers clinic so I'll be sure to keep a lookout for you guys. I ride a blue 06' Haro Shift R3 and will be wearing red and black shorts. I'm pretty fat but that's why I bought a bike in the first place; to lose some weight. I'll have doughnuts, twinkies, ice cream, and snickers bars for anyone wanting some breakfast.

Next year I'll enter the Beginner 30-39 class as I'm 36. I hope they all have bad knees, backs, and nagging wives to slow them down so I'll have a chance. I don't care if I win or come in dead last so long as I get around the course without assistance from an ambulance.

Sep 2005
    I know this event has passed, but I only live 45 min. away from huntsville and i had no idea this was going on. I just started riding and would love to go to some clinics and possibly participate in a race or two. How do I find out more information about events in my area?

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by psteffy
    I know this event has passed, but I only live 45 min. away from huntsville and i had no idea this was going on. I just started riding and would love to go to some clinics and possibly participate in a race or two. How do I find out more information about events in my area?

The fall racing season is over, but check out TMBRA for next seasons races...

www.tmbra.org

also check out GHORBA, they often host clinics and such

www.ghorba.org
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

Members who have read this thread: 0