How would you describe the trails here in central texas?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2017

How would you describe the trails here in central texas?

Austin area trails, specifically Deception at Brushy Creek (and the other trails connected to it), Walnut Creek, Goodwater Loop at Lake Georgetown and other similar trails.

How would you describe these trails to someone on these forums who has never been? I want to be as accurate as possible when talking about the type of riding that I do.

For example I am debating very heavily between a pair of 27.5x3.0 Rocket Rons or a pair of 27.5x3.0 Nobby Nics and when asking on the forums for opinions it would be helpful if I could more accurately describe the types of trails these wheels would be rolling over.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hmm, i would describe Deception as loose rock over hard. Ledge filled climbs and decent. Scattered 1' to 4' drops. Short punchy climbs over loose with short decent on undulating terrain.

That being said, i currently have a nobby nic 2.8 mounted to a 27.5+ rim and frequent brushy as well as barton. The nobby nic does well to stay gripping and so far i have no had a slice or flat. Now i do switch between that and my 29er often but i have had for about 4-5 months. I would suggest definitely going with the snakeskin option on either as Central Texas is not kind to tires with our ledge filled rocks. Can't comment on the rocket ron as i have not tried it. Coming from my 2.35 Minion DHF felt natural to choose the nobby nic with its more aggressive side nobs so it may come down more to what type of tire you prefer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Technical. Rocky. With lots of ledges.

Every person from out of town tells me "yeah, I'm a good technical rider" and then after they ride the BCGB they all admit that while they thought they were a technical rider they had no idea how technical our trails are.

This is because for most of the country (and I'ver ridded all over), most people are used to smooth singletrack with technical features dropped in. So you ride for a quarter mile, hit a technical feature, get over it, high five yourself and move on to the next quarter mile challenge.

In Austin you are constantly hitting technical features. Every bend has another one. Our climbs are not long and sustained. They are shorter, rockier and looser. You will rarely get a lung buster but you will have many more short ups and down. Ledges up, ledges down. There may be crazier technical stuff in places all around the country, but for us, many of our trails are constant technical. Maybe not massive, but constant.

When people ask me about LGT I tell them the biggest challenge is that you have to be constantly picking your line for the entire lap. Our riding is as much mentally grueling as it is physically grueling.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

Hardtail Steel Forever
    No rocket rons. They're too thin for the number of thorns routinely encountered around here. We had something like a half dozen flats in a single day while running tubes last year on them.

If the nics stay flat free, I'd go with those. I run hans dampfs on my AM bike, but they seem a little overkill around here, but would be another great tire if you don't mind the weight.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Good to hear that when I have said "technical" when I am referring to deception at Brushy Creek that I am not exaggerating. It's the roughest stuff I ride but I've always assumed that technical might be referring to a level that I have not even approached before on a "real" trail.

@jestep Thanks, you are about the 12th person I have talked to now who would recommend that NN or HD over the RR. About 99% sure now that's my next tire of choice for the trails around here. Excited to run it in 29x2.6 and 27.5x3.0 options.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by drdocta View Post
    @jestep Thanks, you are about the 12th person I have talked to now who would recommend that NN or HD over the RR. About 99% sure now that's my next tire of choice for the trails around here. Excited to run it in 29x2.6 and 27.5x3.0 options.
    Colorado or another mountain area that doesn't have to deal with limestone and every single plant being thorny as hell, they're great. Light, fast, just a good tire when you can use them, but just not enough protection down here.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jestep View Post
    Colorado or another mountain area that doesn't have to deal with limestone and every single plant being thorny as hell, they're great. Light, fast, just a good tire when you can use them, but just not enough protection down here.
    Yeah I was just talking about how one of the "fun" parts of riding here is that bailing into a bush you are almost always guaranteed to get stuck with some kinds of thorns which makes some parts of these trails extra intense.

Went otb at LGT into a cactus last time. Took a week to get all the needles out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I was looking for trails where we will ride off and will take some rest or rest for the night, a place where when my bike goes off there's a paintless dent repair cost. Anything in to that trails?
    Business link removed by mod

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I have no idea what you are trying to ask. You might be a bot.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMentallo View Post
    I have no idea what you are trying to ask. You might be a bot.
    Not a bot, man. Just trying to look for a place when I am going to experience some technical difficulties during the ride. Anything in that Dallas trails?
    Business link removed by mod

mtbr member
    Noobs smoking crack. that's all see here Mentallo. To op: DR.Doctura...they are sick. please heal asap!
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

mtbr member
    Seriously reygay? Paintless dent repair? Enjoy hell bitch!
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by drdocta View Post
    Good to hear that when I have said "technical" when I am referring to deception at Brushy Creek that I am not exaggerating. It's the roughest stuff I ride but I've always assumed that technical might be referring to a level that I have not even approached before on a "real" trail.
    deception is a notch above walnut. It has some technical elements, but overall is more of a beginner - intermediate trail

Student of the Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by goodmojo View Post
    deception is a notch above walnut.
    ...a 1/4 notch above Walnut to be more precise.

-CJB

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CBaron View Post
    ...a 1/4 notch above Walnut to be more precise.

-CJB
    Technically, I think I said it was a half notch but maybe that's splitting hairs.

D

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    This is how I would describe Deception.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I usually describe most of our trails as relentlessly intermediate - lots of rocky ledges, loose rocks, etc, that just don't give you a break. This is especially true at places like LGT, Pedernales, Deception, etc.

Obviously Walnut, Southie trails, RHR, Warda are an exception to this.

mtbr member
    Yes
    No
    Definitely
    No

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I ride in central TX a few times a year, I'm from out of state but have ridden around a handful of states in the US (FL, GA, NC, VA, CA, TX).

I don't feel like the flat or downhill sections here are that challenging, that includes Emma Long. I'm somewhat used to riding trails with a lot of drops and ledges, either rocks, roots, or eroded dirt, though. The loose rocks and babyheads pose a bit of a new challenge, but is not much different than learning to ride on wet, off camber roots or other trail surfaces in different areas, you just have to give yourself a little time to adjust to the different surface. I found that handling the drops is really dependent on good braking technique and body position, but overall they aren't that much different than places I've ridden that are consistently pretty technical. In some ways, they are easier because you have a pretty wide surface to land and they are low consequence (you won't fall off a mountain if you land wrong or crash).

Where I have trouble here vs other spots is on the technical climbs. When wet or damp, the wet rock doesn't have the traction of slickrock in other areas I've been, it's like riding on ice. The dirt in some spots turns into this sortof tacky, sticky mud that just straight up clogs my tires, it's almost like gum. The combination can be a bit tricky if there is any moisture on the ground. Even when dry, a lot of the rocky sections can be a bit tricky without an immediately obvious line and it can take a lot of work to get up them and retain your line. If you get off line, there often isn't a lot of room to get back on and you get stuck. I think that's where having a 27.5 is nice to have, it makes it a little easier to toss the bike around on the climb and get where you want to be. In any case, they can be challenging and exhausting, making the elevation change on your ride a bit deceiving.

Overall, it's more challenging than a lot of places I've ridden but not the most difficult. It's all relative.

mtbr member
    For the most part I find central and south Texas as fast and flowing, with moderate technical areas thrown in. I prefer a rocky terrain with more drops the merrier. It does seem like the earth/soil in this area does not go well with moisture and get tacky or down right muddy easily. Nice thing is it does not rain here and stay wet for long periods of time and only rarely gets cold.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk