How about this rain North Texan's...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2007

How about this rain North Texan's...

First and foremost, thank God for the rain! Nearly 5 + years of drought conditions with drying lakes, rivers, creeks, stock tanks and ground water reserves. Many local lakes are now back up to conservation levels.

But man I miss riding my bike

This time of year is usually filled with getting all the riding I can in before the blast furnace kicks on.

On the plus side, my wife and I got the kayaks out on Cedar Lake at Cleburne State Park last week. Super cool with the lake back up flowing over the spillway.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Here's my new trail bike for here in central Texas.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    LOL as much as it hurts not riding we definitely needed the rain. The part that's going to suck now is the trail damage by the water and the people who refuse to stay off the trails when it's so muddy

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I'm heading down to Austin on the 4th of June... should I postpone my trip? How long do you think it will take for trails around the area to be rideable again?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'd check with the Austin mtb club to see if any trails are open. As far as DFW, part of north shore was underwater and some parts of horseshoe as well. In fort worth, half of Samson is in terrible shape. It will just depend once it stops raining how fast it dries up and how much damage there is to repair IMO.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeNazi View Post
    I'm heading down to Austin on the 4th of June... should I postpone my trip? How long do you think it will take for trails around the area to be rideable again?
    You should be fine as long as we don't get any more rain by by then. CheckAustin VooDoo and ask a few days before. As a general rule, City Park dries quickly, as does Pace Bend(20 minutes west of town), Brushy Creek needs a couple of days and the Greenbelt is a crapshoot because f the increased traffic. Here's a phone number to call for the Greenbelt. 512-477-1566 Walnut Creek tends to dry at different rates depending on what part of the park you are in. I've heard a lot of damage has happened due to the massive flooding so who knows.

Magically Delicious
    Lots of both Horseshoe and Northshore are underwater. We walked both Memorial Day weekend and they are in bad shape.

The bridge at Northshore pit-drop was underwater and has now broken loose, floated up and moved. It's tangled in the trees now.

As of today Thursday, May 28th, Lake Grapevine is almost 21 feet over full.

I suspect theses trails will be un-ridable well into mid to late summer.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Visited both Dino. Valley and Cleburne State Parks yesterday. There is no crossing the Paluxy River to get to the trails at Dino. Valley. Cleburne S.P. has closed the bulk of the trails due to the high wind / tornado producing storms from a few weeks ago. Hope to get out there maybe tomorrow to do some volunteer trail work. May take kayaks out later. today

Magically Delicious
    ^^^ Are the stepping stones at Dino completely underwater? Did you take a look at crossing at the southern end of Dino past the tracks where the park road crosses?

mtbr member
    More rain forecasted this weekend here in centex. Looks like I'll be in the kayak more this season and riding the black trails at RPR!

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by Awshucks View Post
    More rain forecasted this weekend here in centex. Looks like I'll be in the kayak more this season and riding the black trails at RPR!
    Where are you located and what is RPR?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Hey Cleared2land...
    The stepping stones being underwater is an understatement.
    If you are familiar with the actual trailhead parking area by the water spigot and old kiosk where the trail begins, as of yesterday, the little short switchback going down to the river crossing was about halfway under water. The first pic is my wife standing at that spot above where the trail T's left for hiking, right for riding. The river is normally 30-40 feet from this spot.
    How about this rain North Texan's...-20150527_132329.jpg
    This next pic is from the parking area at track site 2 looking down to the seats and plaques that are normally at the top of a rock staircase10-12 feet above the river. Ive never personally seen the water this high before. How about this rain North Texan's...-20150527_122812.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Oh, and as for the park maintenance road that crosses the low water crossing, the water was almost up to where the asphalt ends and the dirt double track starts down the hill. Only way to cross would be by boat...Crazy!

Magically Delicious
    WOW! I know exactly where those photos were taken.

I have never seen the water that high.

Amazing!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Wow, looks like we won't be riding until around August at best if the rain keeps up. I can't even start to imagine how much work all the trails in the area will need.

Magically Delicious
    Lake Grapevine (Northshore & Horseshoe) should go over the spillway this weekend. The spillway is 25 feet above full stage.

As of this moment, the level is a little more than two feet from the spillway overflow. It has risen 1.5 feet overnight.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    Lake Grapevine (Northshore & Horseshoe) should go over the spillway this weekend. The spillway is 25 feet above full stage.

As of this moment, the level is a little more than two feet from the spillway overflow. It has risen 1.5 feet overnight.
    Damn, that's a lot of water. It's supposed to stop raining all next week, so hopefully that actually happens. Even though we needed the water, flooding is no joke.

Sir crash-a-lot
    The flooding has gotten ridiculous for sure. I haven't been on a trail in over a month, they're all closed. My favorites are all out around cleburne park/dv/solavaca and that's just not happening. I've put a lotttttttt of miles in on my road bike though.

Magically Delicious
    Northshore and Horseshoe - Lake Grapevine went over the spillway Saturday morning and the water continues to go higher. Sunday morning (May 31st) Lake Grapevine is 26.2 feet over flood stage. The spillway is at 25.0 feet.

These photos were taken when the lake level was 18 feet above full. The water is now 8 feet higher than these photos.

How about this rain North Texan's...-img_9493.jpg

Horseshoe Main Trail Head Parking Area

How about this rain North Texan's...-img_9499.jpg

Heading towards the Main Trail Entrance (underwater)

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Lake Worth went over the spillway last week so the lower part of Sansom is underwater right now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'm visiting my folks in Dallas this week 5/30-6/6 and was hoping to rent a bike to check out some local trails. Yall think anywhere around DFW will be rideable this week? I know nothing about which trails dry faster than others... Or which ones are under water

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I'm visiting my folks in Dallas this week 5/30-6/6 and was hoping to rent a bike to check out some local trails. Yall think anywhere around DFW will be rideable this week? I know nothing about which trails dry faster than others... Or which ones are under water
    Sorry but not a chance. You can always check Dorba to see if any of the trails just outside of DFW might be in better shape.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeNazi View Post
    Forecast is dry for the rest of the week so you should be good by the 4th. I'll be testing the BCGB in a few days and will try to remember to report back here. Like MrMentallo said (haha, nice trail bike, btw!) City Park dries quickly, and Reveille Peak doesn't care if it's wet...it's sandpaper traction all the time out there...Best riding in the state, IMO!

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Many trails underwater and won't be open anytime soon. There are other trails in and around DFW that I can't comment on. However, many of the area trails are near lakes, rivers and creeks that are so far out of their banks that it's a guessing game to forecast when the water will begin to recede. Even once receded, damage to the trails is unknown at this point.

Northshore has lost a trail bridge on loop 4 at the pit drop. It has departed from it's setting and has floated up and moved closer to the lake. It appears to be tangled in the trees. Who knows what other bridges have experienced the same demise.

The photo below was taken about a week ago (Memorial Day - May 25th) at the pit-drop bridge. This is not a good photo, but it was as close as we could get to it from the south side because of the high water. Note that the water level has risen close to nine feet higher than when this photo was taken.

Not a good photo, but if you look closely, the bridge is tilted up on one end and twisted. You can see the two hand rails in the photo. Hard to see well.

If you click on the image, it should enlarge.

How about this rain North Texan's...-img_9563.jpg

Magically Delicious
    Northshore and Horseshoe are now inundated with water. The lake level is 26.44 feet above full. Spillway is at 25 feet above full.

The below pictures were taken at Horseshoe trail head parking area looking down towards the trail head entrance.

The one on left take last week (Sunday May 24th) 18 feet above full. The one on the right is the same sign from a little farther back and is today (Sunday, May 31st) at 26.44 feet above full.

How about this rain North Texan's...-img_9499.jpg How about this rain North Texan's...-img_9573.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    That's disheartening to say the least. I was hoping to get down there mid-June or a bit later. Guess not. Maybe I'll go to Palo Duro out West. 8hr drive, but I loved riding it. No family/friends like in the Metroplex, but I can live through it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    Forecast is dry for the rest of the week so you should be good by the 4th. I'll be testing the BCGB in a few days and will try to remember to report back here. Like MrMentallo said (haha, nice trail bike, btw!) City Park dries quickly, and Reveille Peak doesn't care if it's wet...it's sandpaper traction all the time out there...Best riding in the state, IMO!
    Brushy Creek is good to go. There are some overly damp spots that are easy to get around, but according to the trail stewards Deception is totally rideable. All the downed trees have been addressed. I'd imagine Picnic is wet and I know for a fact that Mulligan is damp as shit, but not unrideable or prohibitively wet. I would stay away from Gumdrop. That is a straight up swamp. Snow White is alright and I have no idea on Gnargasm. Rimjob is good and I'm not sure about Dave's Ditch as the last I have heard it was fubar. But that was a week ago and things may have changed since then.