Houston Wheel Builder...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Houston Wheel Builder...

can anyone recommend a custom wheel builder in the Houston area? I'm a super-clyde looking for some 36 spoke wheels. Or would I be better off going with a internet wheel builder?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Go see Greg Gorsha at Bike Route in Sugar Land. He has been building wheels for 20 years and builds some awesome wheels.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Call Rickard at ORP (off road peddlar); He builds all my wheels, and specializes in bmx and Moto wheels.
    :thumbsup: believe in yourself! I believe in you! :thumbsup:

bike rider
    Ditto on Chris Rickard at ORP. He's built all my wheels since 1993 even when I rode for other shops. Call him at 281-856-9732, he's the man and specializes in super cool builds. He builds for a lot of motorcycle shops in town too.
    My Bikes Kick Ass!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks for the recommendations... will definitely look into both!

Is it Friday yet?
    Any update on this? Who did you go with? Are you happy?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I hope he treated you right. Are you the guy who got the Kings/Ti spokes/Stans singel speed set?

I think I'm going that route instead of I9's, so I'd like to hear whatcha think as well.
    :thumbsup: believe in yourself! I believe in you! :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Just had ORP build some wheels for me. Worst bike shop experience ever. Built them dished wrong, told me it was impossible, then when I drove back over, and he realized he screwed up, his question was, "it's only off a sixteenth or so, what do you want me to do about it?" Ultimately the spokes were all entirely too loose after a couple weeks of riding, so on the plus side I am learning how to do the job myself.

Need More Bikes
    That sounds miserable. Sorry you had such a bad experience. Post up your wheelbuilding endeavour, it's something I'd like to get into as well.

mtbr member
    Piam @ West End (713) 861-2271

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by amgine View Post
    That sounds miserable. Sorry you had such a bad experience. Post up your wheelbuilding endeavour, it's something I'd like to get into as well.

I'm still recovering from a knife & foot related tendon severing, so riding my rigid 29er isn't in the cards until I have a lot more strength in my foot. Until then, riding this stink pink 80's Le Mans on mixed surfaces is the best I can do. Wheels are early 90s 105 hubs laced with double butted spokes to 650b Velocity Dyads. So far I haven't had to mess with the back wheel but the front wheel I have loosened and retightened. It's not quite perfect but it'll do for now.

mtbr member
    Greg's cool and very skilled. He built all my super lite racing wheel sets for MTB XC. He also builds road and freeride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Update: I had to retrue my front wheel this weekend. In the process I realized that my spokes are straight pull 2mm, rather than the DT Comp spokes I gave the guy at ORP with my hubs and rims. So, not only did they build my wheels worse than I was able to do on my very first try, they stole my DT Comps and stuck me with shitty straight gauge spokes. Worst $100 I have ever spent in my life.

meh
    wtf, wow...do you have any proof of the comps? you gonna contact them about it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I have email receipts from the order and I might have a paper receipt around here somewhere but no way to prove that I gave him the spokes.

When I originally went back to get him to fix the wheel he failed to build true, I got mad enough I was close to going over the counter at the guy because he was such a prick. He kept telling me my frame was off (before he checked the wheel) and treated me like I was completely clueless, and then when he stopped trying to accuse me of stupidity and got his dish gauge out and laid it against the tire (as if the tire was a reliable place to check dish) he said it was only off a little bit (after having repeatedly told me over the phone that it was impossible for him to have built a wheel off) and what did I want him to do about it?

Well, I'm pretty much ranting but the point I was trying to make is that the guy is a true ******* and if I even tried to talk to the guy again I'd probably do something stupid. Lesson learned, it's better to spend your time learning how to do it yourself because the bike shop is probably less professional than you are.

meh
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnypecans View Post
    it's better to spend your time learning how to do it yourself because the bike shop is probably less professional than you are.
    100% agree, and wheel building isnt the great mystery some seem to believe it to be

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    my boy aaron L does some pretty nice builds. PM me for his info. He's done several builds for me and they always last, i'm a clyde 250lb 6'2. As you can tell by my signature, i'm not easy on my stuff haha.
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD Special Blend with dropper post, hope/stans wheelset and hope x2/m4 brakes

Members who have read this thread: 0