Houston Trails??- Mtbr.com

Nov 2008

Houston Trails??

Hey guys, I'm a new rider/first time poster.

I got my bike when i lived in Austin, and being the dumb pot-headed college kid I was, never thought to take advantage of all the great places to ride there. Now I'm stuck in Houston and wish I could find a somewhere to challenge myself.

I'm just curious where most of you Houston folks go for a good trail. Is Memorial Park pretty much the only option? I haven't been there yet but I hear its pretty much the best there is in town.

I live in SW Houston, (Richmond Area) and typically just go off-read around my neighborhood because there is a lot of open areas. Any suggestions for anything else fun? Or is my best bet just figuring out places on my own? I'd really love to find a place with a busy, and friendly community like Austin so I could maybe even meet some other bikers... All my friends are LAAAME. Thanks!

Rohloff

Nov 2008
    Ah cool. My fault, didn't realize this site had reviews too! Awesome, thanks!

i am, therefore, i ride
    Go to Jack Brooks Park. For more trails info: http://www.ghorba.org/trail-info/where-to-ride
    "Life is good..... enjoy it !!!!!"

mtbr member
    Anthills are a good option and relatively close. (basically between Willcrest and Eldridge along the south side of Buffalo Bayou.

http://www.theanthills.com/

As mentioned, ghorba.org is a great source.

Rohloff
    Quote Originally Posted by string
    Anthills are a good option and relatively close. (basically between Willcrest and Eldridge along the south side of Buffalo Bayou.

http://www.theanthills.com/

As mentioned, ghorba.org is a great source.
    I live in Austin and have only ridden Memorial Park and the Ant Hills. I really liked the Ant Hills. Lots of fun!

Geaux ride!
    Third chime-in on Anthills, it's a nice trail when it's not underwater
    2011 Jamis Dakar XCR Team
    2018 Spot Rocker SS

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Anthills is fun. I'm just getting back into mountain biking after getting a two year work assignment in SW Colorado. The trails are utterly spectactular. I'll definitely be wanting to find some other places in SE TX when I move back.

mid50
    Double Lake Recreation Area in Coldspring is an hour north. 8.5 miles of flat, fast singletrack. Used for a race in the spring. Worth the trip...
    90% of the people don't know you, and the other 10% want you to fail.
    Dr. Lou

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    move back to Austin

Jul 2008
    Visit www.ghorba.org for some detailed information on greater houston area MTB trails.

In houston area, you have Memorial park. The green trail and the triangle are your more technical trails, and they are seperate from the "main trail network"

The anthills are some fun and fairly technical, as mentioned earlier though, they are on the bayou, and just downstream of a damn. They are often shutdown due to wet weather, and generally the damn opens a week or so after the rain when the weather if nice and gorgeous, flooding the trails and rendering them useless.

Cypresswood is another large network of trails in Houston. Our group has not visited them yet, but we will be hitting them soon, to add them to our "rotation".

You get outside of Houston a bit, and there is Double Lake, Lake Bryan, Huntsville, Rocky Hill Ranch, Jack Brooks and there are some other.

mtbr member
    Cypresswood is getting Dedicated as part of Collins Park on Dec 6th. we wil have a skills clinic with Shaums March and Marin Bikes Demo Day. Sun abd Ski Sports is sponsoring. It is an all day event from 9 to 5 on Saturday. Check the ghorba website for more details. Come on out if you can it should be great.

Also we are having a work party Saturday Nov 22nd at 8:00am at Cypresswood by the ball parks if any one can make it.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out

mtbr member
    You've got questions, we've got answers...
    Pedigre

Chupacabra
    "Ho Che' Min" in Memoral Park

Rohloff
    Quote Originally Posted by vonziper
    "Ho Che' Min" in Memoral Park
    A little short but a very fun park of Memorial Park.

Members who have read this thread: 0