Houston: Spring/Klein singletrack?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Houston: Spring/Klein singletrack?

my inlaws live near 249 and Louetta in the Spring/Klein area. are there any trails near there to ride? it does not have to be technical or epic, just something to kill an hour or two and get some riding in the next time i come visit. is there anything to ride in Meyer Park or Cypresswood Park

mtbr member
    You actually have a few choices...Cypresswood being one of them. George Mitchell Nature Preserve is another one that isn't that far from there. Check out the map here to see what's around you, then check here to get a little more info. Have fun!
    Pedigre

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    As Pedigre mentioned you have a few choices for the area. Cypresswood Proper is located at Collins Park but Cypresswood Improper is closer to you at Hwy 249 and the YMCA located north of Grant Rd. Flintridge (aka George Mitchel Preserve) is not to far away and is a fun, short trail. Of the three I find Cypresswood Proper to be the most fun and most challenging.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    can you elaborate on how to get to Cypresswood Improper? i've never heard of trails there. where is the trailhead and where can i park? thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by alexrex20
    can you elaborate on how to get to Cypresswood Improper? i've never heard of trails there. where is the trailhead and where can i park? thanks
    You can park at one of two places. But note that there is no real trailhead.

1) at the YMCA at 249 and Cypresswood rd. Go behind the soccer fields, cross the small wood bridge, ride around the retention pond, and find the trail (they are not marked).

2) you can park at the skate park which is on Cypresswood Rd, just West of Jones Rd. If you are driving on Cypresswood heading West, go past Jones Rd, go over the two bridges, and you'll see a park/skate park on the right hand side. There are trails on the other side of Cypresswood to ride.

I prefer starting at the Y, but I prefer running those trails rather than biking them. Cypresswood Proper is more fun to ride.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    thanks for the great response! i live in the area so i'd like to at least try out those trails. i ride the trails at Collins Park (about 5min from my house) all the time, so it'd be nice to try some new trails that are very local.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    i go to the cypresswood trails once or twice a week. if anybody wants to go ride sometime lets meet up there.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    what do you ride, what do you drive and where do you park? i'll look for you.

i park at Collins park, drive a lifted red Nissan Pathfinder, and usually ride a blue GT Peace 9r singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    i park by the skate park. old 91 green 4x4 f150 and i ride a black/brown specialized rockhopper.
    Last edited by itsgerson; 06-30-2010 at 09:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Cypresswood proper is a better trail system, a bit easier to navigate if you ride it alone, the trailhead is behind the softball fields.The park is behind the police station off of Cypresswood just east of Veterans memorial. You park in the second parking lot just past the skate ramp. You'll see a few cars with racks back there. Follow the walking path till you get behind the softball fields and you'll see the trailhead.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    i'll take some pics the next time i go back there. hanjin, that's a very good description, but a picture speaks a thousand words.

my nissan:

mtbr member
    alexrex20 you right. I'm waiting to try out my new rigid singlespeed 29er. I got it finished on Wed. and then the rains showed up. I'm just chomping at the bit to RIDE!!! I drive a black 08 Chevy HHR panel, not too many of those parked at the trails so hope to see you guys out there.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    I ride the George Mitchell nature preserve a lot(being the only trail in the woodlands ) and I would be glad to come out and ride with you, just send me a pm a day before so i can organize the ride. What is the address to the cypress wood proper and improper trails, ive been dying to try out some new trails
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    6727 Cypresswood Drive-Collins Park Cypresswood Proper
    Spring, Texas 77379

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    i just realized that i do not go to cypresswood proper. i go to improper.. the one by jones and cypresswood.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    george mitchell is fun to ride, as long as you don't live more than 30min away. any longer than that, and i'd say it's not worth it.

i go out there as often as possible, and time myself on the quick 3.5mi loop. it's virtually flat with lots of tight turns and narrow trees (that aren't very friendly to my 700mm bars), so it's a good singletrack to monitor improvement. i'd be down for some riding at flintridge also.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by itsgerson
    i just realized that i do not go to cypresswood proper. i go to improper.. the one by jones and cypresswood.
    i just recently found out about cypresswood improper. once the rain stops and the trails dry up, i'm going to make it out there. (i only live about 15min away.) i'll look for your F150.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    here are maps of Cyp. Proper.

park at the star, and the trails start at the south side of the softball fields, following the arrows.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Houston: Spring/Klein singletrack?-map1.jpg  

Houston: Spring/Klein singletrack?-map2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Here is my bike wagon. I usually ride one of my Fuji's currently I'm on the 29er rigid. If your going to ride improper go with a local the trails are huge and you'll miss some of the fun stuff if your not familiar with them.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    do you work at performance?

mtbr member
    do you work at performance?
    No I just shop there. But Chris the manager is a friend. It's about a minute from my house so I stopped there on my way back from this morning's shake down ride of my rigid. I thought it would be a better backgroung than the McDonald's across the street,

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    i just recently found out about cypresswood improper. once the rain stops and the trails dry up, i'm going to make it out there. (i only live about 15min away.) i'll look for your F150.
    Theres always mudding on our 4x4s while we wait for the trails to dry.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    i'm gonna check out the trails at Cyp. Proper tomorrow morning. i expect it to still be a little tacky; hoping for not too much mud. i'll update the Conditions page on GHORBA.

mtbr member
    What time? I was going to get in a morning ride around 8am.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    i'll try to be there around that time. i'm at work and don't get off til 7am.

bike rider
    I'll be at Collins around 6:30pm on my 14lb rigid Ti 26er SingleSpeed and hoping for a big group. Let me know if anyone wants to go, trails should be NICE!
    My Bikes Kick Ass!!!

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by mattkock
    I'll be at Collins around 6:30pm on my 14lb rigid Ti 26er SingleSpeed and hoping for a big group. Let me know if anyone wants to go, trails should be NICE!
    if my seatpost comes in today ill ride with ya, still not sure how to get there(collins?)

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    Collins Park (Cypresswood Proper)
    6727 Cypresswood Drive
    Spring, Texas 77379

that address will take you to the park in the 2 pics i posted in post #18.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Collins Park (Cypresswood Proper)
    6727 Cypresswood Drive
    Spring, Texas 77379

that address will take you to the park in the 2 pics i posted in post #18.

got it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    if my seatpost comes in today ill ride with ya, still not sure how to get there(collins?)
    got a GPS in the car?
    Pedigre

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    so who is gooing to Collins at 630, other than mattkock? i'll probably try to make it.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedigre
    got a GPS in the car?
    if you count google maps directions taped to my windshield , i probably wont make it due to my seat rails slipping on this faulty seatpost. my bike is like a chevy, always something wrong with it. its ride-able but every so often i gotta get off the bike and slide the rails bike up

mtbr member
    if you count google maps directions taped to my windshield , i probably wont make it due to my seat rails slipping on this faulty seatpost. my bike is like a chevy, always something wrong with it. its ride-able but every so often i gotta get off the bike and slide the rails bike up
    lol, no, was thinking a little more technologically advanced But, in this case: bit.ly/bQV6KZ
    Pedigre

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005

i'm fat and out of shape, so i'll be stopping just as often as you, if not more. don't be a wuss, you know you want to ride Cypresswood. i love the twisty singletrack of Flintridge, but i rub bars and scrape shoulders so much that it's nice to get away from there.

Cypresswood are some great trails, and what better way to first ride them, than with a group of regulars? i'm gonna be out there with my cousin. we're both slow amateurs so you won't be slowing anybody down if you have to stop a few times to fix your seat.

bike rider
    It'll be great to see you nuck. I haven't seen you since you gave me the Flintridge tour a year ago. I look forward to meeting you Alex. I'll look for your Nissan and I'm in a White and Black Dodge Crew Cab.
    My Bikes Kick Ass!!!

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    sorry to stand everyone up!

my cousin from midtown brought his bike up and he wanted to ride Flintridge instead. i'm definitely going to ride again tomorrow morning, probably Flintridge again around 8-830am

bike rider
    There will be a big GHORBA group at Cypresswood on Wednesday at 6:30 if it doesn't rain too much more. See y'all there.
    My Bikes Kick Ass!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Cypresswood improper is still a little too muddy. my fatass rolled down a small slope because my rear tire slipped on a root.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i needa make my way up here when its dry. i live down in the southwest area. i ride at justin brindley trail alot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I didn't think anyone was out riding with all this rain we've had. Sucks too because I just bought a new bike, and it's pretty much just wall art right now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Me and some friends are gonna go ride at cypresswood improper (cypresswood and Jones) around 12-1pm if anybody is interested in going.

bike rider
    Collins Park (Cypresswood) at 8am Sunday morning if anyone is interested.
    My Bikes Kick Ass!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    how was the trail today?

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    I will be heading out to the George Mitchell nature preserve(flint ridge tomorrow)let me know if any of you guys are interested in riding it with me. oh and alex you can quit your whining about me getting a job, someone decided to hire me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Bad ass, my rents live in The Woodlands and I never even thought about taking the bike with me when I head to their place. Thanks for the tips!

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    I will be heading out to the George Mitchell nature preserve(flint ridge tomorrow)let me know if any of you guys are interested in riding it with me. oh and alex you can quit your whining about me getting a job, someone decided to hire me.
    hahahaha, now i'll be whining that you DO have a job, because that means we're now even less likely to attend one of the group rides!

i got a new bike and would like to try it out on the trails... as soon as the heat index drops below 100F

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    hahahaha, now i'll be whining that you DO have a job, because that means we're now even less likely to attend one of the group rides!

i got a new bike and would like to try it out on the trails... as soon as the heat index drops below 100F
    yes I will be tired after work but I do get off at 4 so thats good. I hope to start riding with you guys soon but yea it is hot. but im just happy i will have money next month for parts

Members who have read this thread: 0