Houston Riders: What tires are you using?- Mtbr.com
    Need More Bikes

Houston Riders: What tires are you using?

Since the trails are drying out (mostly) and getting loose, what's the best tire? I'm running the Forte Pisgah 2.1 in the back on the FS bike (really underrated tire) and I've tried the WTB Stout and another Pisgah up front. I keep losing traction in the sand at Memorial with either front tire, especially on Green. The Forte in back is working out great, although a little slow.

What works?

Wanderer
    I like round ones ....

I'm pretty happy with a Maxxis Ignitor up front and a Maxxis Crossmark in the back.

mtbr member
    trail kings 2.2s . I think it helps if you run a little more girth during the summertime cuz it helps float over the sand that gets churned up that ends up hiding roots as well.
    are you losing it 100% at the tires or a little on your suspension set up also?

mtbr member
    Aspens were OK but tended to wash out the front last summer, Saguaros have been excellent as long as it's DRY. About to try the Ground Control too.
    Quiring KVA MS2 29er SS
    Quiring XCr Road
    Tallboy Carbon
    Fisticuff
    ARR | IMBA NMBP

Need More Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Toff View Post
    I like round ones ....

I'm pretty happy with a Maxxis Ignitor up front and a Maxxis Crossmark in the back.
    I have Maxxis high roller and Minion DH on the hardtail, love Maxxis, just pretty expensive. The tread pattern on the Crossmarks looks pretty good, might have to get one anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by 53119 View Post
    trail kings 2.2s . I think it helps if you run a little more girth during the summertime cuz it helps float over the sand that gets churned up that ends up hiding roots as well.
    are you losing it 100% at the tires or a little on your suspension set up also?
    The Stout is a 2.3, I could run the the Prowler 2.5 I have but it might be overkill. I guess what I mean is washing out like ecthelion says, my front tire slides out in the turns. What do you mean by losing it at the suspension?

Quote Originally Posted by ecthelion View Post
    Aspens were OK but tended to wash out the front last summer, Saguaros have been excellent as long as it's DRY. About to try the Ground Control too.
    With the empty space between the center tread and the side knobs the Saguaros look like you have to get pretty agressive in the turn to hook up.

Went again yesterday and ran even lower pressure in the tires (30 psi back, 28 psi front) on the Pisgahs and they seemed to do pretty good.

mtbr member
    amgine- with chaging conditions, it is also good to play with your suspension set-up. Damping if you have compression and rebound adjusts and air volumes in your fork as well as your shock.

tires obviously are important but not using or tuning the suspension for the trail is a shame. look at your suspension to be always just as important as your tires. Otherwise you might as well just be on a hardtail. hell, you paid good money for it!

Need More Bikes
    amgine- with chaging conditions, it is also good to play with your suspension set-up. Damping if you have compression and rebound adjusts and air volumes in your fork as well as your shock.

tires obviously are important but not using or tuning the suspension for the trail is a shame. look at your suspension to be always just as important as your tires. Otherwise you might as well just be on a hardtail. hell, you paid good money for it!
    Ah, I get what you're saying now. I really need to learn how to set up rebound and compression damping, it's still a dark art to me. I have been playing with pressures in the fork and shock.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    i am about to wear out my back tire. if anyone has a relatively new tire they don't like, i could buy it from you for my front tire. pm me if you like. i am not a super great rider, so i don't care how good or bad you thought it was. i'm just looking for a cheap tire.

mtbr member
    i'm always surprised how many riders don't know how or never tune their sleds. have fun with it! the bike's sittin on tires but you're sittin on the bike!

Need More Bikes
    i'm always surprised how many riders don't know how or never tune their sleds. have fun with it! the bike's sittin on tires but you're sittin on the bike!
    Can you lead me towards the correct path oh great one?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by amgine View Post
    Can you lead me towards the correct path oh great one?
    there's a path? i got all this from a fortune cookie i found in a take-out bag and alot of fights...with the ground. nothing great about that..besides the interweb makes a bag of rocks like me seem intelligent!
    Last edited by 53119; 05-10-2012 at 08:49 AM.

mtbr member
    I've been running a WTB Prowler 2.3 up front since last summer and have been been happy with the performance in sand. I ride Cypress creek and Huntsville SP a lot and they can be pretty sandy.

Finding the right tire pressure is also important. Run as little as you can get away with when riding in sand.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    i am about to wear out my back tire. if anyone has a relatively new tire they don't like, i could buy it from you for my front tire. pm me if you like. i am not a super great rider, so i don't care how good or bad you thought it was. i'm just looking for a cheap tire.
    This is where I buy all my tires.

Nashbar - Mountain Bike Tires

You can get some decent rubber for 15-20 bucks

Need More Bikes
    there's a path? i got all this from a fortune cookie i found in a take-out bag and alot of fights...with the ground. nothing great about that..besides the interweb makes a bag of rocks like me seem intelligent!
    haha, I get what you're saying. I've been reading up on it, just gotta play with it now.

Quote Originally Posted by pleepleus View Post
    I've been running a WTB Prowler 2.3 up front since last summer and have been been happy with the performance in sand. I ride Cypress creek and Huntsville SP a lot and they can be pretty sandy.

Finding the right tire pressure is also important. Run as little as you can get away with when riding in sand.
    Yeah I've been slowly letting air out of mine, was running 35-40 when I first started, went down to 30, now in the 20's. I'm in the process of going ghetto tubeless as well.

mtbr member
    I have 2.2 Specialized Captains on my 26 and they do fairly well. Specialized 2.1 Purgatory and 2.0 Ground Control on my 29 and they rock as a tubeless setup on the sand and dust we've been having.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pleepleus View Post
    This is where I buy all my tires.

Nashbar - Mountain Bike Tires

You can get some decent rubber for 15-20 bucks
    'preciate it, plee.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    i run 2.4 mountain kings all around. Houston trails are pretty sandy and it keeps me a float over that nasty stuff

Monster FTW
    This information is helpful, I find the dry days to be tricky. Thanks
    2014 Specialized Camber Carbon Evo

mtbr member
    Kenda smallblock 8's work like velcro on all the Houston area trails.

Maxxis Ikon are also a great Houston tire.

Need More Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by HAL 9000 View Post
    Kenda smallblock 8's work like velcro on all the Houston area trails.

Maxxis Ikon are also a great Houston tire.
    What's your opinion of the Race King? I got a pair for cheap and want to try them out.

mtbr member
    What's your opinion of the Race King? I got a pair for cheap and want to try them out.
    Never been a fan of continental tires there are others that suit my riding style.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    2.25 Rocket Ron in back and 2.40 Nobby Nic in front
    Living in Houston makes me more of a Ditch Bike Rider

Man my bike needs a better motor

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    2.2 Trail King (tubed) in front, 2.2 X-King (tubeless) in rear is the best combo for Houston trails I've found. Love Continental's black chilli compound!
    2018 Canyon Exceed CF 8.0 - 29"
    2016 Canyon Strive CF 9.0 - 27.5"
    2009 Titus Motolite - 26"

Need More Bikes
    I tried the race king for the first time today at Memorial. That thing hooked up really nice. I'm a fan but full retail price is expensive.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtvet View Post
    2.2 Trail King (tubed) in front, 2.2 X-King (tubeless) in rear
    What is the rational for running tubes in the front and not in the back?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Just a guess, but maybe he is worried about having a failure in the front that would cause him to endo.

I just set both my tires up tubless with the Stan's kit, It was way easier than i thought. no leakes durring the set up. i guess i will see what happens when i get to ride tomorrow night(as far as burping and what not).
    Living in Houston makes me more of a Ditch Bike Rider

Man my bike needs a better motor

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The regular Trail King (tubed) is much lighter than the UST version. It's a great front tire. Go for it if you can run it tubeless with Stans.
    2018 Canyon Exceed CF 8.0 - 29"
    2016 Canyon Strive CF 9.0 - 27.5"
    2009 Titus Motolite - 26"

meh
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtvet View Post
    The regular Trail King (tubed) is much lighter than the UST version. It's a great front tire. Go for it if you can run it tubeless with Stans.
    dont understand the rational either
    would think youd want to worry about weight in the rear moreso than the front, and a tubed x-king will be lighter than a ust x-king by your above logic...but, the ust trail king 2.2 is only 140g more than the non-ust tire according to conti's website, so when you add in the 130+ gram tube the weight savings become marginal
    also, by running the tubeless tire in the front you can run lower pressures for better steering/control

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu View Post
    dont understand the rational either
    ditto...

there is not a logical reason to run one wheel tubeless and the other tubed.

sometimes it's better to just not ask any questions about bike set up.

meh
    lol, agreed

mtbr member
    lol, agreed
    the parking lot at cypresswoods this last sunday morning was chock full of WTF bicycle senarios.

Need More Bikes
    I picked up some Stans Crest wheels for my 29er cheap this weekend. Can't seem to get the 2.1 Prowlers I have to sit on the rim though when going tubeless. Even with glue and good blast of air from co2 they leak around the rim. Any suggestions?

Need More Bikes
    running TCS tires or standard? I think the TCS are known not to work with stans rims BST

Standard I believe. They came OEM on a Marin so I doubt they're TCS.

edit: weird mtbr flipping responses.

meh
    running TCS tires or standard? I think the TCS are known not to work with stans rims BST

mtbr member
    I picked up some Stans Crest wheels for my 29er cheap this weekend. Can't seem to get the 2.1 Prowlers I have to sit on the rim though when going tubeless. Even with glue and good blast of air from co2 they leak around the rim. Any suggestions?
    Do not understand this... " sit on the rim " and " glue " ???

If you are using the stans 25mm rim tape and 2oz of sealant in each tire the tires should just pop on the bead with just a co2 or compressor blast then air up the tire with a floor pump to get the tire bead to fully seat on the rim.

some tires your going to have to shake the wheel and spin it to get the fresh latex in all the tiny holes and stuff if the sidewall is leaking place the wheel over an open box so the latex can seal the sidewall.

no need to use UST tires on any stans rim the rim is designed to use non-UST tires

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I ride Memorial Houston and Sugar Land and those two have been really loose being dry and all.I run Specialized pro Fast Track and they stick pretty good.I just ordered a pair of Captains.

Need More Bikes
    Do not understand this... " sit on the rim " and " glue " ???

If you are using the stans 25mm rim tape and 2oz of sealant in each tire the tires should just pop on the bead with just a co2 or compressor blast then air up the tire with a floor pump to get the tire bead to fully seat on the rim.

some tires your going to have to shake the wheel and spin it to get the fresh latex in all the tiny holes and stuff if the sidewall is leaking place the wheel over an open box so the latex can seal the sidewall.

no need to use UST tires on any stans rim the rim is designed to use non-UST tires
    yes. it "should" but they're not. they sit on the rim correctly and have enough glue, but bubbles of air and glue squeeze out between the tire and rim. WTB Prowler 2.1, Stan's Crest.

meh
    by glue, you actually mean sealant...think that's where part of the confusion was
    you may just have one of those random incompatibility issues, they happen, or the bead may be stretched from use on the other rims

Need More Bikes
    yeah sealant. I tried wood glue too it didn't work.

Guess I'll look into more new tires.

meh
    wood glue seems like a poor choice, have heard of guys using silicon glue, but its unnecessary

Need More Bikes
    wood glue was a joke.

meh
    haha, i was thinking you might be insane...makes more sense

Members who have read this thread: 0