Houston rider. Need some serious advice.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Houston rider. Need some serious advice.

Hello all,

new to these forums, and mountain biking in general. I have only ridden one trail and that is Terry Hershey park, also know as Anthill. I went through the hard section without a problem.Not as fast as i would like because I am not in the best shape but i did compete in bodybuilding but haven't lifted a weight in a year or so due to work. I ran on my buddy's stumpjumper not sure of year or all that stuff. What I do know is that it had a carbon fiber fork, which from my friend said the fork was worth more than the bike.

As I have been doing a ton of research on bikes, I have seen to be more worse off than I was not knowing anything (ignore is bliss). I have come to see that if I buy whatever bike I decide on, it wont actually be ideal for every riding situation. I may be going over bored but I am trying my best to find the best bike that will "do it all" per say without having a worry of my bike breaking before I do.

I want a bike that I can beat the crap out of on every run and it will hang with me. This also leads me to saying if I want to get a hardtail, or full suspenion. I know each has there ups an downs. And I could get a hardtail with better components than a full suspension bike at the same time. I have also read that some tend to give people new to mountain biking hardtails to pick better lines. but I also like to ride over rocks and roots, and have seen that full suspension is perfered for that route and the full suspension is also not as easy to climb in as the hardtail.

I have a 1300 budget. I have managed to find three good deals all on this price range being this:

2013 giant trance - practically brand new. ridden once
    2010 specialized FSR stumpjumper 26" wheels - has wear and tear but mechanically sound.
    2013 specialized carve pro 29er - great condition.

If i were to buy new it would be rockhopper expert 29er for 1200.

SOMEONE HELP~~~~~~

sorry for the essay

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I forgot to add I can get the crave for 1000 not 1300

mtbr member
    Specialized Bicycle Components

if it's this one and the bike fits you for $1000 go for it!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by HAL 9000 View Post
    Specialized Bicycle Components

if it's this one and the bike fits you for $1000 go for it!
    you have me convinced. haha Its in absolute perfect condition no scuffs or anything. my only concern is that its a large frame. given me height and weight would you think i can sit well on that? I know we wont know till i sit on but the chances of it fitting well are what?

mtbr member
    how tall are you?

most likely if under 5' 7" or over 6' it's gonna be a stretch getting a large = 19" frame to fit correctly.

if you are between those measurements your should be good just a fine tune here and there to get dialed in.

DO NOT get a bike the wrong size just because it's "deal"

If you have any doubts call West End Bicycles and ask they have a frame size chart they can reference for you on what works best for your height.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I don't think you would regret getting a full suspension.... if not now, then maybe next bike.

mtbr member
    being in Houston, generally flat, relatively smooth trails, that Carve seems like the best fit.

if you plan to ride rockier, more technical stuff in the near future, the Trance might be a better fit.

i wouldnt look at a 26" bike. not becuase its a bad bike, but because 26ers are being phased out.

can you go ride both those 2 bikes? that will give you a good idea of which bike fits you better. and you can get an idea of the pros and cons for each.

mtbr member
    Is that the Trance 29er? If yes, that is your bike. As sooner518 said, I'd stay away from 26" wheels. There are some great deals on used 26ers out there, but you'd want to realize what you are buying into.

I have a Carve and a Giant Anthem 29. The Carve is fun, but I'm glad it's not my only bike. I love the Anthem, but would probably trade it for a Trance 29 given the chance. (They had not released the Trance in a 29er when I bought my Anthem.)

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Some of the really good places to mt bike in Houston are said to be good for full suspension, but then the roads are very flat. Plenty of streets and nice neighborhoods for biking. I would probably get a hardtail and not venture on the really tough trails right now. In fact I will probably be getting a better, much better, hard tail soon, and my area is hillier, rougher than Houston. However, I don't get to go to trails often, and when I do, I won't be one of the braver guys out there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ConchoBill View Post
    Some of the really good places to mt bike in Houston are said to be good for full suspension, but then the roads are very flat. Plenty of streets and nice neighborhoods for biking. I would probably get a hardtail and not venture on the really tough trails right now. In fact I will probably be getting a better, much better, hard tail soon, and my area is hillier, rougher than Houston. However, I don't get to go to trails often, and when I do, I won't be one of the braver guys out there.
    Or you could just get a beach cruiser and ride around the block.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Ended up getting the Carve Pro. I got to ride it the other day at memorial park. Ran over everything I threw at it without a problem. Thanks for the advice guys.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    If you are going to MP don't forget to hit the Triangle. Probably the best section out there. I hear what everyone is saying about a 26er, but I have one 26 XC and a 650b Enduro - the 26 is perfect for the Houston trails and can smoke just about any 29er through the switchbacks.

Oh and by-the-way: make sure to hit Jack Brooks when it's not marshland.