Houston demo day with 29ers?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Houston demo day with 29ers?

I am interested in trying out a 29er to see if I want to make the switch. The problem is I haven't been able to ride one on a trail and get a good sense of whether or not it is something that I want to invest in. Does anyone know of an upcoming demo day at one of the Houston trails that will have 29ers available?

mtbr member
    don't switch. just have both if you can. better yet, see if your current can take 650s.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    if he could have both, he probably wouldn't be asking.

performance bike holds a demo ride once a month. call or email them.

www.performancebike.com

Lurker
    May 2008
    I think West End Bikes near Memorial Park rents 29ers. Not exactly a free demo, but a nice way to try before you buy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Most shops will credit the rental towards a purchase of a new bike, it could end up as a free demo.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Actually I will be fortunate enough to have both but just don't want to invest in something until I have ridden one. My current main MTB is a Titus RacerX Exogrid with custom frame and SRAM XX.

Thanks for the suggestions on 29er demo options.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    JL, I was at the Sun and Ski on Westheimer the other day during their bike sale and they indicated they would be receiving a Rockstar "any day now". The 1960 sun and ski indicated the same thing when I was there buying tubes last friday. They both have niners on the floor.

I suppose when/if you're ever in Austin, Hammerhead would be a good source for Titus 29er demos as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    bobdole, thanks for the news. I was going to try and ride a Rockstar with HH cycles in Austin during the Mellow Johnny race, but I was moving into a new house and was unable to make the event. The tough part is getting a 29er that I can use to hit the dirt with. Parking lot tests are just not a true test imho. It seems when riding friends bikes they are either the wrong size or a heavy low-end bike so in either case I am not going to get a fair idea of what a proper fitting, nicely equipped 29er can do.

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Yeah I'm VERY interested in the Rockstar (and spec'ing it on the high end), if I can get any shops around here to let me take it out on dirt I'll let you know. I'll be out in AZ in a couple weeks and might have better luck out there.

Members who have read this thread: 0