Houston and Cycle Commuting- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Houston and Cycle Commuting

Morning chaps,

Moving from the UK to Houston in the summer and trying to pick an area to live in. One consideration, besides school districts and property taxes etc, is that I'd like to commute on my bike to work, (sam Houston Tollway / Clay Rd junction) even if only a few days a week.

Anyone live in Cypress, Katy, Sugarland, anywhere around there able to share experiences of their commute? Do you see many bikes on the roads during rush hour?

Thanks in advance, y'all. (see, getting into the lingo already)

Phil

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Welcome to Houston. I think you get a better response if you ask your question in the Texas forum at bikeforums.net. There are several bike commuters there that can answer your question.
    Rick Ankrum
    www.texbiker.net
    Texas Bicycling News, Events and Experiences

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Depends on where you work. I live in Sugar Land and am able to bike to a park & ride where I catch the bus into town to my office, but I usually just drive. Many people in the city are able to bike along the bayou system, but once you feel the weather here you might change your mind. It's insanely humid in the mornings. Like, I have to use the windshield wipers on my car every single morning until December. I digress. Given that this is a MTB forum, I'm happy to go ride the local trails with you (I am a captain of some local trails and know most of the local trails pretty well). But if you're looking for roadie advice, you're on the wrong page.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl3 View Post
    Depends on where you work. I live in Sugar Land and am able to bike to a park & ride where I catch the bus into town to my office, but I usually just drive. Many people in the city are able to bike along the bayou system, but once you feel the weather here you might change your mind. It's insanely humid in the mornings. Like, I have to use the windshield wipers on my car every single morning until December. I digress. Given that this is a MTB forum, I'm happy to go ride the local trails with you (I am a captain of some local trails and know most of the local trails pretty well). But if you're looking for roadie advice, you're on the wrong page.
    Ha ha - what great timing! Took a while to get the bike shipped over and find a safe route through the traffic but I cycled in from Cypress today. It was actually ok, and in the spirit of this being an MTB forum, I had a minor off-road excursion to get around some cars. Surlies are great aren't they...

Thanks for responding though. What's a trail captain?

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Haha, oh you can go anywhere on a Surly! Good on you. I live 15 miles from work so it's not as much of an option. Trail Capt is someone who builds and maintains local trails. You're lucky to live so close to the Cypress Creek trails! Let me know if you ever want a tour of some of the more southern Houston trail systems. Once it dries up, Sugar Land and Anthills would be a great spot to visit.