Houston - Beginner Rider - where to ride?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Houston - Beginner Rider - where to ride?

Hello all,

I'm new to the forums. My girlfriend kept asking for a bike for Christmas, so I picked her up a Haro Flightline II (2011). No upgrades. And since she needed someone to ride with, I got a Haro Flighltine II (2010) about three weeks later, to ride with her.

We've recently started riding around our neighorhood to get used to the bikes. We live around beltway 8 and I-10 (memorial city area) and have heard about the trails at Terry Hershey Park. But, looking at some videos posted here and on youtube, are these trails suitable for beginners?

We're looking for beginner trails that are suitable to new riders and to our new bikes. Is there any help you guys can offer us?

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    For beginner riders I recommend Stephen F. Austin State Park, Sugar Land Memorial, Flintridge, and Double Lake in that order. They are all easy parks to ride with very few technical features. If there's something there that you can't ride you can always walk it. You can find more information on these trails plus directions at the GHORBA.org website. Stephen F. Austin is probably the easiest of them all but I recommend asking someone to show you the trails as they are not well marked. Sugar Land is an easy 1.25 mile loop that you cannot get lost on. Flintridge is a short 3.5 mile trail that is mostly flat but does have a few roots you have to go over. Double Lake has two, 9 miles loops that is technically very easy but does have a few moderate climbs.

Check out the forums at GHROBA for upcomming group rides and beginners clinics. You don't have to be a member to attend the rides and we always provide a group leader for brand new beginners. No matter what your skill or endurance level we will have a ride for you. You do need to be a member in good standing to attend the skills clinics but trust me it's worth it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    In addition to the above trails (which are highly recommended for beginners)...
    ...since terry hershey (i.e. the anthills) is close to you you'll probably end up riding there more than most places. The dirt trails run on the south side of the bayou from Eldridge to Wilcrest. The trail system is essentially an upper (high) trail and a lower (next to the bayou) trail. There are numerous shorter trails connecting the two. There are short sections of the anthills that can be difficult however most of these sections are located on the transitions between the uppers and lowers (i.e. they are rooty climbs). If you stay on either the upper trail or lower trail, the anthills themselves are pretty mellow.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks guys! I'll look into these!

mathlete
    Nov 2007
    you can also try the Cypresswood trails in Collins Park on the NW side of town (Champions / Spring area). The folks from David's Cycles host a club ride geared towards beginners on Wednesday evenings at 6 and Saturday mornings at 8 (weather permitting). No one gets left behind on this one. In fact, that's how I started riding. Good bunch of guys and gals. Give the shop a call...google 'em for contact info.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I had heard about Cypresswood too. I'll look into the club rides.

How long do you guys think we'll have to wait to get on some trails since its been raining so long?

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    Also, Sun & Ski hold their Bananas and Bagels rides every 1st and 3rd Sunday of the month at Cypresswood at 8:00 am.

Cypresswood will usually dry from an inch of rain within a day or two. Memorial Park takes at least a couple of days. The Anthills and Jack Brooks take a week. Flintridge and Sugar Land Memorial about 3 or 4 days and Double Lake must have blessed soil as it doesn't ever get muddy. You can ride it right after a torrential rain.

Members who have read this thread: 0