Houston, Anthills on the single speed.- Mtbr.com
    Pedaler of dirt

Houston, Anthills on the single speed.

I'm new to this whole head cam stuff, but here's my first attempt with a new HD Hero video of my local trail, the Anthills.

It's a flat twisty single track, no real climbs, maybe a couple of 20 footers, but a lot of fun at speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF1fOi2DsHE
    It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    nice vid, thanks for sharing. what's your gearing?

Pedaler of dirt
    Running 34x16 which seems to work fine for the all the trails we have in Houston.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    i run 32:15 and it's almost exactly the same ratio as yours. i'm just curious what the other SS locals are riding.

the last SSer i saw there, i asked him what his gearing was. He looked puzzled, then said, "Oh, it's a single speed." lol

Pedaler of dirt
    Are you running 26 or 29" wheels? I'm thinking of getting a 29er and don't know if that'll mean a gear of change.

I think you managed to find the single speeder with the single watt brain to match.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    those look like some sweet trails where in houston are they?
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

Pedaler of dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    those look like some sweet trails where in houston are they?
    My local trails are the Anthills which are on the west side of town, with more details here...

http://www.terryhersheypark.org/forum/index.php

Other trails around Houston can be found here...

http://www.ghorba.org/trail-info/where-to-ride

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I took that same route today...just not as fast! I love that first drop with the right turn..good stuff. I need one of those cameras.

I Crash Often
    Nov 2006
    I was riding along the fence line by the golf course a couple weeks ago and stumbled upon...a freakin' Peacock. Just walking, minding his own business. Followed it for a bit and continued to ride.

But anyways, I'm sure that's fun on a single speed. I'd like to try that one day.

Pedaler of dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by keylay
    I was riding along the fence line by the golf course a couple weeks ago and stumbled upon...a freakin' Peacock. Just walking, minding his own business. Followed it for a bit and continued to ride.

But anyways, I'm sure that's fun on a single speed. I'd like to try that one day.
    There's a neighbourhood north of Terry Hershey Park where that have Peacocks wandering about, sometimes the wander onto the trails.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by marzjennings
    Are you running 26 or 29" wheels? I'm thinking of getting a 29er and don't know if that'll mean a gear of change.

I think you managed to find the single speeder with the single watt brain to match.
    i have both, but my 26er is the 32:15. the 29er is geared at 32:18. the 29er does feel geared a little shorter than the 26er, so i reckon the difference in wheel diameter only makes a small difference in gearing. my heavyweight DJ bike is geared at 32:17, FWIW.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Pretty cool trail. I need to get over there to try it out. That bridge about half way through does not like the safest thing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I ride these trails 4 times a week in the morning from Eldridge all the way to wilcrest an back. Getting kinda boring going alone so if anybody wants to tag along let me know.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    be careful on the bridges.

mtbr member
    Part of the Anthill trails were closed today for a Cyclocross Race. I had seen Cyclocross in the mags but never attended an event. Those dudes are fit!
    "I don't suffer from insanity!I rather enjoy it."

Big Damn Hero
    Great video, thanks for sharing. I've recently gotten back into trail riding but have only done Memorial. I've love to get out to the Anthills between now and Christmas if you're up for showing me (and a buddy) around I'd really appreciate it.

The riding down here is so much different than the riding I did for years up in NY.

mtbr member
    Cool vid. That first bridge looks very sketchy.

Pedaler of dirt
    That bridge was very sketchy, but GHORBA have gone through and replaced a few of the old thrown together bridges.

Members who have read this thread: 1