Hill Country SNA

Printable View

• 02-06-2011
    bobdole
    Hill Country SNA
    So I see mixed reviews on the place, some say its awesome others say its ok with a mix of lots of loose rock and trail erosion and some ok trails. So whats the current word on the place? Is it worth the drive from Houston if you're looking for a place you can ride all day at and camp or would Government Canyon be a better bet? How many miles of trails are open to mtb's and is the trail fairly saturated with horses? Thanks for the info.
  • 02-07-2011
    mikebeach
    If your looking for a great place to ride and camp near San Antonio; Flat Rock Ranch hands down; http://www.flatrockranch.net/index.htm
  • 02-07-2011
    bobdole
    thanks mike, checking out their website now. this may be a very good call.

Not looking for san antonio specifically just somewhere I can camp at (or very near), ride lots of dirt and get some climbing in. Im coming from Houston so 4-5 hrs drive is ok for me on one weekend.
  • 02-07-2011
    brewer90
    Have you tried Rocky Hill Ranch in Smithville?
  • 02-07-2011
    bobdole
    yeah ive done rhr, warda, austin, houston, etc...havent really done anything out near SATX though. FRR looks pretty interesting and I could probably hit a ride or two in SATX on the way out of town...or maybe swing up and get some pace bend or greenbelt in austin.
  • 02-08-2011
    brewer90
    That sounds like the best plan. Riding new stuff is always good.
  • 02-08-2011
    alexhusby12
    Im a pretty big fan of hill country sna, Id ride that over smithville or warda anyday.
  • 02-12-2011
    Pedigre
    bobdole, definitely choose FRR over HCSNA. Not just for distance you have to drive, but FRR is built for mtbin' and is one of the Top 5 in the state, IMO. Camping is good and Jimmy will be glad to give you a personal tour of the 26 miles of trail. HCSNA is nice, but FRR affords you the opportunity to hit up Gov't Canyon SNA there in SATX, as well.

Looking for a longer trip, consider HCSNA along with the likes of Tapatio Springs.
  • 01-03-2012
    Bill in Houston
    bobdole, did you evver make it to HCSNA? i expect to go camping out there sometime this spring, and wonder if it would be good to take my bike along, or if i should just skip it. thank you for the information.
  • 01-03-2012
    Anita Handle
    If you're already gonna be at HCSNA, then hell yes, take your bike and go exploring. Don't expect awesome singletrack and well designed trails though. But it's worth checking out on bike if you're already there.
  • 01-04-2012
    Pedigre
    ^^^ Agreed, bring the bike! It wasn't designed around mtbin', so expect some rough or unpretty stuff, with a dash of stretches of singletrack and technical challenge for all levels of riders.

Check out the photos.
  • 01-04-2012
    Bill in Houston
    Thanks, Anita and Pedigre! The photos look like a decent mix of stuff that ought to be fun to try out. I have been to Lost Maples nearby, and would not take my bike there even if they allowed it, so I appreciate the info about HCSNA.
  • 01-04-2012
    bobdole
    Nope, the weekend I was going to go was the weekend of the Ice Storm.
  • 01-04-2012
    Pedigre
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    I have been to Lost Maples nearby, and would not take my bike there even if they allowed it...

I agree. That ascent would be impossible...and the descent could prove very painful lol
  • 01-08-2012
    wildharejac
    the trails at HCSNA can get torn up to the point of not being fun by horses.
  • 01-09-2012
    Bill in Houston
    I can easily imagine that happening... Horses put down a lot of pounds per square inch.