Help with fitting!!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Help with fitting!!!

I have a deposit down on a custom Black Sheep soft tail, and given the cost of the frame I donít trust my wife to do the measurements. Any recommendations on where to go in the Houston area to get the most accurate fittingÖ?

Thanks in advance

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks HAL but Bike Barns customer feedback is not flattering:

Bike Barn

mtbr member
    do you need someone to just run tape or do you need advice on tube lengths and geo in regards to your riding preferences?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Just accurate measurements; Iím going to trust the builder with fine tuning for riding preferences.

mtbr member
    Fit

mtbr member
    May 2010
    You could also try West End--lots of experience with custom mtn bike frames.

HAL 9000, does Shama sell/fit/repair mountain stuff or just bikes from planet tri dork? (Actual question--I live close to WE, iCycle, & Memorial Park, didn't know Shama was also in the area)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BGillespie View Post
    You could also try West End--lots of experience with custom mtn bike frames.

HAL 9000, does Shama sell/fit/repair mountain stuff or just bikes from planet tri dork? (Actual question--I live close to WE, iCycle, & Memorial Park, didn't know Shama was also in the area)
    Shama is a "high end" Road/Tri boutique they sell $20K+ custom bikes nonetheless if you have folks spending serious coin for a custom made carbon fiber bike i think the guy knows how to measure and fit you.

West End also can fit you for a custom frame since they deal with MOOTS and Independent Fabrications and some other small builders and since West End is a specialized dealer they have guys that went to training out in California to get certified.

About any bike shop these days has at least someone that can get you fit and measured from Bike Barn fit studio (thatís already been poo-pooed) to Electra retailer, Juan Solo Cycling Services Houston, TX Home over off westview.

Heck speedgoat Speedgoat Bicycles / Rider Profile and wrench science https://www.wrenchscience.com have programs on their websites that you can go to measure yourself with if so inclined.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by HAL 9000 View Post
    Shama is a "high end" Road/Tri boutique they sell $20K+ custom bikes nonetheless if you have folks spending serious coin for a custom made carbon fiber bike i think the guy knows how to measure and fit you.
    So do they sell or repair mtn. bikes & parts?

Most crabon tri dork bikes ride and fit a little differently than mtn frames; hopefully the OP needs a bike that does more than look good while cruising the picnic loop. I wouldn't go to the Porsche dealer to ask questions about my Jeep...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Most crabon tri dork bikes ride and fit a little differently than mtn frames; hopefully the OP needs a bike that does more than look good while cruising the picnic loop. I wouldn't go to the Porsche dealer to ask questions about my Jeep...
    A $20k bike should be able to beat anything that your Porsche (pronounced "porshah") dealer sells anyway. Will it shave my legs for me?

mtbr member

Go back and re-read the first post...

The guy is looking to get properly measured for a custom frame not fit on a bike.

mtbr member
    "in prison!"

Old friends quotes aside, don't put too much faith in online feedback. Check out the fit studio for yourself, then make your decision.

mtbr member
    I'll add my two cents here....I agree BB is terrible for customer service!! But, Cynthia did fit my Felt F1 and did an awesome job!!!! She is a certified Retul fitter. Given the OP is looking for fit to build, my suggestion would be to be fit by a authorized dealer of the bike he intends to purchase, no??
    If you don't like the way I ride, stay on the road!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CYCLEJCE View Post
    don't put too much faith in online feedback. Check out the fit studio for yourself, then make your decision.

Agreed. People are way more likely to complain than give praise.

-CT