Help a brutha out...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Help a brutha out...

I am possibly re-locating to the Austin area for my work...and need some advice from like minded folks...

background:
    Former pro triathlete/Cat 1 roadie, turned mountain biker and adventure racer...
    Wife is a former pro roadie...into AR as well...
    2 kids - one 6, one 11 months
    We are moving from Asheville, NC - Literally thousands of miles of the sweetest single track you could ever want...right out the back door.
    Political affiliation - I hate politics, but I'm pretty damn liberal...Asheville is a great town, full of artists, athletes and other "progressives"...I guess we kinda fit that mold...

We are looking for some inside advice on the area...What are the "cool" hoods to look in for houses...(we are in the "artsy", "funky", arts & crafts type hood in downtown right now)...we'll prolly be in the $450k range..(so far, I've seen Hyde Park and SoCo?)

Schools...the wife teaches Montessori...

and...the really important stuff...what's the ridin' like? I'm a cross country guy...I ride a hard tail Linskey...I've looked a bit online, and it looks like the established stuff is kinda weak...But, I know y'all are gonna kick out with the inside dirt on the real digs...

Sorry if these questions get posted all the time (they do get old on the NC boards)...but, I ain't a jong, and I used the "search" feature a bit...not a whole lot there...

I've read http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=451233
    and been through www.austinbike.com

Neither made me too stoked frankly...

Austin seems like a sweet town w/ cool culture...I'm just wonderin' what kind of adjustment it will actually be...

Thanks for any insight!...

jc

www.curwendurance.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Austin is huge when it come to bikes of all types with a bike shop seemingly on every corner and a bike rack on every car. You shouldnt have any problem...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Coming from East TN the riding is different. Lots of rocky tech riding in the area. All I can say is you will miss the nice moist dirt and the trees. If you do not like tech riding then you will learn. Also watchout for allergies. This is the start of my 2nd year here and now I have those magical allergies that everyone talks about.

mtbr member
    Hey JC,
    I'm a native Texan, but having spent several years living, racing, working in the bike biz in Northern California I can understand your perspective that the mountain biking scene looks kinda weak on the surface. It's true that we don't have massive public lands nearby as is common in most of the mountain states...You'll have a hard time getting lost in the mountains on a 6 hour epic..however, scratch the surface and the mountain biking scene (sh!t.... road biking, tri, bmx/dirt jumping, too for that matter) here is pretty sweet. After 5 years in California riding with the big boys, I came back to Austin expecting to be hotsh!t, and it was a humbling experience relearning how to ride our steep, rocky, windy, sweet trails that pummel you into submission until you get to the bottom and get to go for a dip in a cold clear swimming hole.... hammer, rinse, repeat...... So my point, I guess, is that it's not better or worse, but different... .and really sweet. A lot of the best trails are kinda underground, so that makes it a little tougher at first...but you figure it out. You'll probably find yourself wanting a FS bike, or you might just keep shreddin' it on your trusty ti hardtail, as I continue to do.... You'll definitely get the most out of the mountain bike scene if you take the time/buy the bike/grow the nads...whatever the case may be.... to get comfortable in technical / rocky terrain... and maybe you had lots of that at home too...I dunno
    Austin's got a strong endurance sport scene...biking, swimming, running... you name it...LOT's of events to participate. Having both been pros, you and your wife might be surprised by running into some familiar faces...lots of good city/neighborhood/private places around town to train...you'll never be far from a pool, track, gym, ride route.
    You've definitely got a budget to get you into a cool area in/near the center of town....such as SoUTH CoNGRESS..... "SoCo" is red badge of nubie-ness... I'm in Oak Hill, on the southwest side of town, which is just 4 miles or so from downtown, but gives me quick access to some of the best mountainbike trails I've ridden anywhere...as well as easy access to popular road routes W and S from town in "The Hill Country".... In California I lived 3 blocks from downtown Palo Alto, and now ,being more in the burbs that's one of the things I miss most....being able to live, work, eat, party, shop in that small old downtown environment where a car is really totally optonal ...but you can find that lifestyle in central central Austin.
    You'll also find plenty of like-minded liberals.... Flying in to Austin and hanging out here will make you wonder how Texas is a perennial red state.... but leave Travis County and you'll begin to understand......We are an island.
    I think you'd find Austin's "weirdness" or artistic flair sort of spread out all over the city... I know some FREAKS living in the burbs.... rather than all concentrated in one neighborhood, or right around the "old town center" as is the case in other cool towns I know. I've never been to Asheville, so I can't really make a direct comparison.
    July/August/September can suck...the heat gets old.
    Anyway, I'll predict there would definitely be some things you would miss, but lots of other cool things to love, and lots of other like minded people.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jager66
    I am possibly re-locating to the Austin area for my work...
    What line of work are you in?
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    thanks dois! Just the kind of info I was hoping for...

We're are hoping to buy pretty close to a greenway...so, the Oak Hill, Travis County area is definitely on the list...

and thanks for the heads up on noob lingo...We are in an area that is rife with transplants...and while we are really nice...the reality is, the total fresh nubies get a bit of the cold shoulder sometime...as much as I wish it wasn't so...

We are looking at a move in 6 months or so if it happens...in the meantime, if anyone visits these parts, drop a line on the NC board...I'll make sure you get hooked with an epic funfest:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQbZtYw-Rj4

cheers...(it's 70 and bluebird...gotta go ride...)

jc

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm looking at a position with a retail store that is based in the area...

My background is sales management and wholesale sales...mostly outdoor and bike specific.

formerly "nandomax"
    If, by any chance, your coming to work in the new REI (Round Rock), know that the areas you're talking about, for housing, are a good 30-40 min commute. Just sayin'. The other two stores would be closer to you.
    Sounds like you could afford an exploratory trip before your move. I know I did one, and it was a deal maker. We'll be glad to show you around. I have some days off around the major holidays with no plans in sight. Call me tour guide.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nandomax
    If, by any chance, your coming to work in the new REI (Round Rock), know that the areas you're talking about, for housing, are a good 30-40 min commute. Just sayin'. The other two stores would be closer to you.
    Sounds like you could afford an exploratory trip before your move. I know I did one, and it was a deal maker. We'll be glad to show you around. I have some days off around the major holidays with no plans in sight. Call me tour guide.
    Thanx a bunch for the offer!...I will be in touch when/if we come...REI isn't it...The store is corporately based there...I'd be downtown...

It would be sweet to commute by bike...Does anyone actually use the services at Mellow Johnny's?

I know the feeling about LA elsewhere...I would think it is pretty positive on his home turf?...

jc

formerly "nandomax"
    ...It would be sweet to commute by bike...Does anyone actually use the services at Mellow Johnny's?
    You know, it's funny that when I commute by bike I don't because it's far enough from my office that I'd probably break a sweat riding to it. But I think some people do

I know the feeling about LA elsewhere...I would think it is pretty positive on his home turf?...
    At least among cyclists it is. I think in general it's a positive feeling.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Come on down to austin for a visit, we'll show you a good time. Bikes to rent and bikes to borrow, beer to drink and enchiladas to eat.

It's a great place to live, you can ride 12 months out of the year. Summers are hot but you get used to it.

Cycling culture is great here.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

Members who have read this thread: 0