Help WIth Big Cedar (Dallas)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Help WIth Big Cedar (Dallas)

I have been riding about 5 years here in Dallas, and have never been to Big Cedar.

I am an old, low-intermediate wuss and my conditioning/strength is suspect generally and because of all the rain we've had. Also have a healing collarbone and finger that make me psychologically and physically unfit to push any limits.

Still, I want to go to Big Cedar. I just want to ride Ranger and the two green loops off it, Dragonfly and I Can. There is conflicting info about how rugged Ranger is and I am probably more worried about fitness and heat than technical features. But for me, when I get tired and "bonky," I am a bit of a danger to myself.

Here is the central question that I can't figure out: Is there a fire/jeep/exit road that intersects Ranger at various places and goes back to the trailhead? The two green loops are basically at the beginning of Ranger, and if there's no return to trailhead after them. greenie weenies are forced to ride 4 miles of blue to get back to the trailhead.

I don't mind walking short stretches, but long stretches tend to spoll rides for me. That climb at the end of Ranger after 5+ miles of riding in this heat and humidity is intimidating.

So, if I get out there and I'm not feeling it after a couple of miles, am I going to have to deathmarch Ranger, or will there be places to cut back to the trailhead?

Thanks in advance.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    There is a double track ("jeepish road") that weaves into a bunch of the trail. There is not a whole lot you would need to walk even being a greenie weenie. There are a few spots that can be sketchy for a newbie type rider, but they are short sections.
    2018 Santa Cruz Hightower CC
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0
    2015 Surly Karate Monkey Ops (commuter, gravel, fun))

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight511 View Post
    There is a double track ("jeepish road") that weaves into a bunch of the trail. There is not a whole lot you would need to walk even being a greenie weenie. There are a few spots that can be sketchy for a newbie type rider, but they are short sections.
    Thanks very much!

Big Cedar seems to have changed so much over the years with land use issues and whatnot that it's hard to get a reliable read on it.

Part of the reason I was asking is that it seems to have been open pretty frequently even with all the rain. Of course, since posting it hasn't been open once.

It's not even clear to me that the black diamond type loops, for which it was once famous, are even open when the weather's good. I think the presence of those loops and features "bled over" onto descriptions and ratings of the easy loops, so they appear harder than they are on some sites.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TwiceHorn View Post
    I just want to ride Ranger and the two green loops off it, Dragonfly and I Can.
    FYI, it sounds you want to avoid green. I forgot the color of Dragonfly, but it's not green (I think it's red) and I Can is pink.

The two green loops are basically at the beginning of Ranger,
    That is incorrect. The general setup is that the white loop/Ranger is the main loop and the other trails extend from and return to it (in some cases, some of the trails extend from and return to an extension). Dragonfly about a minute from the beginning of the current trailhead. I Can is about 2/3 of the way through Ranger.

It's not even clear to me that the black diamond type loops, for which it was once famous, are even open
    There are carsonite markers where the trails branch with the color/name of the trail. In addition to the trail name/color, some markers also have Property Boundary markings. Some believe that the old trail is completely closed, because it is outside the property boundary. Some believe that the old trail is partially open because the old trail entrance is no longer taped off as it once was and state that some old trail is maintained just like the core trail. In any case, there might not be any property boundary markers on the loop that you'll take since you'll be skipping green.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_Ninja View Post
    FYI, it sounds you want to avoid green. I forgot the color of Dragonfly, but it's not green (I think it's red) and I Can is pink.

That is incorrect. The general setup is that the white loop/Ranger is the main loop and the other trails extend from and return to it (in some cases, some of the trails extend from and return to an extension). Dragonfly about a minute from the beginning of the current trailhead. I Can is about 2/3 of the way through Ranger.

There are carsonite markers where the trails branch with the color/name of the trail. In addition to the trail name/color, some markers also have Property Boundary markings. Some believe that the old trail is completely closed, because it is outside the property boundary. Some believe that the old trail is partially open because the old trail entrance is no longer taped off as it once was and state that some old trail is maintained just like the core trail. In any case, there might not be any property boundary markers on the loop that you'll take since you'll be skipping green.
    I meant "green" as difficulty. You're right about I Can being much later along Ranger.

Still, seems a bit odd to have the two easy loops in spots where you have to traverse what may be a much more difficult loop (Ranger) to either get there or get back to the trailhead.

That's another slight problem, older riders of the trail identify the loops by color. There doesn't seem to be a DORBA map anymore, the trail's facebook page isn't particularly user friendly and also does not include a map, and the various apps go by name.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Map: https://www.facebook.com/download/13...pXEZQCGWA0Z9SJ

Riders refer to trails by the names and colors. Most trails in DFW proper are green/blue by normal standards with a few exceptions (NS West comes to mind).
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Perhaps if I was a member of the facing book . . . .

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Big cedar has it's own group as does DORBA (Dallas Off Road Bike Association). The main reason I used the faceless book is for bike communication stuff. :-)
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0

Magically Delicious

The OLD Big Cedar Map...

Bike Ninja is funny on what a green loop is.

Help WIth Big Cedar (Dallas)-big-cedar-map.jpg
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Last time I rode Big Cedar, the Doomsday trail signs were still posted, and had no idea which trail I was on most of the time. Still a fun ride, but couldnít tell without pulling out my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magically Delicious
    For the most part, I have thought it was almost acceptably trail marked, but it could be better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    The trail is receiving some great improvements. Tried out the pump track today, and canít wait for it to see some tires laid down on it. The trails in general were pretty great. Go try it out again, if itís been a while.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Pump track is 99% ready, and the dirt is amazing after this rain. Jason, the trail steward, has done a great job revitalizing it, and each time I ride, itís better. There are still some sketchy features out there, but just check them out before you send it. Big Cedar is easily top 2 in the metroplex, and probably my favorite overall.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Never made it down there this summer. Fitness is much improved, and hopefully will stay that way if the rains don't persist. Will have to head down.

Magically Delicious
    Yeah, I haven't been to Big Cedar in a while now (mid-summer last visit)...time to head back