This heat is bull*****.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

This heat is bull*****.

I'm just saying. That is all.

since 4/10/2009
    I guess in a way, it's a good thing I've been too busy to ride for the past month or so. Or not.

mtbr member
    It is depressing when you hope for a "nice, cool, mid-90s sorta day".

mtbr member
    I'm sweating even when I'm floating in Barton Springs.
    Last edited by Puffy Tacos; 08-10-2011 at 06:09 AM.

meh
    sissies

mtbr member
    I'm in Denver and I can't stand the heat I couldn't imagine what Texas is like right now.

mtbr member
    Best thing about the Texas heat is you don't have to shovel it out of your driveway.
    James

"Never pass up an opportunity to ride." - Anthony Sloan

mtbr member
    Best thing about the Texas heat is you don't have to shovel it out of your driveway.
    I lived in Houston for 6 years I'll take a little snow over that heat any day.

wheelie king
    I can deal with 90 degree heat, but this 100+ is crap!

TXTony
    I few days of 100 plus..yeah doable...but this crap is getting to be a beat down...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    You live in Texas. It is a given that you will get those temps. Man up or move.
    RUFUSPHOTO
    Action Sports Freelance Photographer
    www.ryancathrall.com

bust a move
    I been thinking about the heat/drought in TX for the last couple weeks. We are about 94 to 96 with high humidity everday in central FL but at least it rains. I can't imagine that much heat for that long of a period. Here's keeping a good thought for some rain and a cool down soon.

gunslinger
    I love it!!! Go smile in -20f for a while...

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I have switched from water or Gatorade to slurpies, seriously.

mtbr member
    I have lived here all of my life and normally the heat really doesn't bother me and I would rather have it then 4-6 months of temps below 50F (or colder). But this summer is extraordinary. Typically Austin will have about 14 days over 100F, but so far we are at 55 days with no end in sight.

I have to admit, it is starting to get to me....
    James

mtbr member
    I've lived in Texas for the past 40 years. Have always loved the heat/hated the cold. I can deal with high 90s/low 100s w/ humidity no problem. This Summer has been exceptional, however. The creek behind my house has dropped 5 feet and you should see Lake Travis in person. No moisture whatsoever. What's worse is being teased by the thunderstorms that roll up from the Gulf, hit the high pressure bubble, and completely bypass Austin. It's emasculating. I've gotten by with swimming holes, cold Shiner, and cold showers with Dr Bronner's peppermint castille soap.

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    I agree that the this heat is getting a little rediculous. There is a positive side though, there is never anyone on the trails when I ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles
    That depends. Can you go fvck yourself?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rufusdesign View Post
    You live in Texas. It is a given that you will get those temps. Man up or move.
    I'd move in a heartbeat if my wife wouldn't forever resent me for making her move more than 3 hours away from her parents. I'd quit my job tomorrow and move back to Denver. This is brutal.

On the bright side, I never see more than a couple people riding due to the heat.

mtbr member
    And you're in Oklahoma. Double whammy.

since 4/10/2009
    I will be moving as soon as I'm finished with my degree. Even a "normal" summer down here is too hot for me.

Give me -20 and 2 feet of snow any day over 2 months of 100 degree temps. At least when it's cold, you can put more clothes on to warm up. When it gets hot like this, your only option is to find water. Oh wait, except it's so hot and dry all the water is drying up, too. Sorry, you're SOL.

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    I will be moving as soon as I'm finished with my degree. Even a "normal" summer down here is too hot for me.

Give me -20 and 2 feet of snow any day over 2 months of 100 degree temps. At least when it's cold, you can put more clothes on to warm up. When it gets hot like this, your only option is to find water. Oh wait, except it's so hot and dry all the water is drying up, too. Sorry, you're SOL.
    My thoughts exactly. I'm originally from WA state but I'm in the Army stationed at Ft. Hood right now. As soon as I get out of the Army you can bet your a$$ I'm moving back up north. Mild summers, mountains and snowboarding. Texas has none of these.

meh
    year round riding

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu View Post
    year round riding
    meh...mountain biking is something I do when I can't snowboard. Don't get me wrong, I love it but I love carving deep fresh powder, half pipes and terrain parks more

mtbr member
    walker, texas ranger rides 24/7 in polyester.

as long as we don't get punished by a hurricane this season, I'll put up with the heat for now.

since 4/10/2009
    year round riding
    I rode year round in Michigan. Big fat bike community up there.

I miss real winters. Not the crap down here where you might get some white $#!+ or you might not.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRONK! View Post
    And you're in Oklahoma. Double whammy.
    yea, or Austin.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sooner518 View Post
    On the bright side, I never see more than a couple people riding due to the heat.
    +1 to that. Sunday afternoon at the 'Nut is great. Might see 2 other riders.
    James

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Looking forward to another hot ride friday after class.

mtbr member
    Just left Denver in December. Miss the climbs but, not the snow!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Pancroft View Post
    Just left Denver in December. Miss the climbs but, not the snow!!
    i dont miss the climbs. but i sure do miss the downs....

i did get a little stir crazy around February or March in a particularly snowy winter, but Id rather deal with that than 100+ for 50+ days.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    ha, it is a bit excessive

mtbr member
    year round riding
    If you call flat pump tracks and rooty bayous riding...

I know that there's some fun places to go, but I have not really enjoyed the recreation side of things since moving to Houston from Utah two years ago. Oh well. I'll be taking those lemons and making lemonade on my hardtail. Ride on!
    "So let's recap here:
    You asked a question.
    You got an answer.
    You proceed to make an ass out of yourself."

mtbr member
    Yeah but you're talking about Houston, srey. That's a different planet altogether.

Pedaler of dirt
    This heat is killing my enjoyment of riding.

I have to ride faster just to maintain a breeze to keep me cool.
    It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Chance of rain tomorrow and thru the weekend. That would be great.

Wanderer
    I've been enjoying the empty trails but they have been getting slippery with dust or perhaps I should just slow down for the corners.

meh
    Quote Originally Posted by srey View Post
    If you call flat pump tracks and rooty bayous riding...

I know that there's some fun places to go, but I have not really enjoyed the recreation side of things since moving to Houston from Utah two years ago. Oh well. I'll be taking those lemons and making lemonade on my hardtail. Ride on!
    time to get out of houston, wrong part of Tx for mtn biking

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Memorial, TH, and JB are enough to keep me goign through the week...weekend comes and it's time for BCGB, Nut, Rocky Hill, Pace Bend, Bluff Creek...vacation --> Moab, Womble, Park City...

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    We had these wierd gray things in the sky this morning in Killeen and I had to google them to find out that they are called clouds and this wet stuff called rain falls from them. But alas no rain....back to clear skies, high temps and dust...ohhhh the dust......

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    bunch of pansies.

just ride from 6:30am to 11am. It's maybe 90/92 at 11:30.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazydad View Post
    Absolutely! I just moved to Houston from the greater Boston area, and I"ll take even this over the snow piles . . Besides, think of how nice it'll be this winter.
    Quiring KVA MS2 29er SS
    Quiring XCr Road
    Tallboy Carbon
    Fisticuff
    ARR | IMBA NMBP

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Doing a rain dance, and hitting the trail tomorrow afternoon. If no rain i will gladly take cooler weather.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Quote Originally Posted by ecthelion View Post
    Absolutely! I just moved to Houston from the greater Boston area, and I"ll take even this over the snow piles . . Besides, think of how nice it'll be this winter.
    Winter nice ugh It will get down to the 40s 50s 60s maybe even 10 total days of 20s and 30s. Im shivering and dreading any temp below 60 brrrrr

mtbr member
    Not too bad to ride in the morning here in houston. Its around 92 at 9:30am by the time I finish though thats another story. Its about 102-105 the last two weeks around 12:00pm.
    2010 GT Sensor 2.0

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtcurry View Post
    Not too bad to ride in the morning here in houston. Its around 92 at 9:30am by the time I finish though thats another story. Its about 102-105 the last two weeks around 12:00pm.
    I'm right on Terry Hershey and, while the heat can be tough, the humidity is what gets me!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Humidity sucks. I'll deal with the summer just to have an awesome extended fall I love "winter" here in Austin.

mtbr member
    The killer in the hill country this year is absolutely no break from the direct sun in 100+ temps. If there were some descent tree cover or at least a cloudy day it would be easier to deal. That and breathin' the dust is killin' me! Ridin' the nut yesterday evening around 6:30 it seemed you couldn't get a breathe of fresh air. Finally about 7:30 it got tolerable and I could crank it up a bit.

mtbr member
    I'm right on Terry Hershey and, while the heat can be tough, the humidity is what gets me!!
    I wish I lived close to Terry Hershey. I only go there on the weekends because its too far. But yea the humidity is killer. But it hasnt been that humid lately.
    2010 GT Sensor 2.0

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Been here all 44 years of my existance, and over the last 6-7 years I've wondered if I could live in Colorado with the long winters without going postal??? Having worked in the construction / buiding trade most of my working years the heat does get old. Now I'm out of the sun but still in the heat and work 12-14 hour days, there's no riding after work and thats putting it nicely! Come on fall!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I still try to ride 2 - 4 times a week. My logic is if I can train in 100+ temps, just imagine how easy it will be when the temps get below 90. Got to look at the positive.

since 4/10/2009
    woohoo! first forecast day under 100 in months!

mtbr member
    this is why a pump track would serve all of us in our seperate locales. small compact and near a garden hose!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Sooooooooo hotttttttttttttttt! I can usually deal with it. Has it really been 55+ days of 100+ already? Look on the bright side, we are halfway through summer now.

Big Damn Hero
    You all just need to get out earlier... I ride really early on the weekends.

I'm usually on the trail by 6:30am (though due to sunrise it's been more like 7am recently) and am done by 10:00am.

During the week I get up at 4:15am so I can get my rides in before work and before the heat.

Pedaler of dirt
    Wasn't too bad today, left the house for a ride at 3pm with the temperature at no more than 91f here in Houston. It felt almost cool compared to Friday's ride.
    It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Right at 100 in Wichita falls, still had a great ride. Rode fri night, sat and sun, got to love it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Another night with rain in Wichita Falls, should be a great day to ride for me after work tomorrow.

Wanderer
    Mid 90's IS cool now Marz.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I am more upset by drought...especially if we make it all back when the weather is cool again.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rafdog View Post
    I am more upset by drought...especially if we make it all back when the weather is cool again.
    I have done lots of canoeing the past couple summers and not riding as many miles. This summer, there's really not any good canoeing left. I got my boat out twice this spring before the heat set in and evaporated all the water.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by keithrad View Post
    Been here all 44 years of my existance, and over the last 6-7 years I've wondered if I could live in Colorado with the long winters without going postal??? Having worked in the construction / buiding trade most of my working years the heat does get old. Now I'm out of the sun but still in the heat and work 12-14 hour days, there's no riding after work and thats putting it nicely! Come on fall!
    lol....long winters....going postal?

Yeah, just stick to texass.

mtbr member
    I have done lots of canoeing the past couple summers and not riding as many miles. This summer, there's really not any good canoeing left. I got my boat out twice this spring before the heat set in and evaporated all the water.
    I like to paddle as well. I haven't hit the water sense spring ether, I did a 40 mile trip down Village creek. The water was real low back in April. It would be more of a boat drag that paddle right now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Nothing beats a good sweaty ride in the AM. I get back to the truck and the top of my frame is covered in sweat....

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I gotta say I am enjoying it. After being off the bike for two year due to injury I find this heat and the kicking of my own @$$ nice after a *pounding head on desk* day at work.

I try and ride every day after work between 5-8pm and it's really not so bad. I road in sugarland memorial park last night and when I headed home at 8pm it was actually nice outside.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

IMAG0134 by terrasmak

And out from riding for a few days, dammit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Ugh, that looks nasty. Chainring?

mtbr member
    Well...if scars are tattoo's with better stories...a tattoo w/scars must be a gold mine!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjammin View Post
    Ugh, that looks nasty. Chainring?
    44 tooth to be exact

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I ride at 8am-11am on the weekends, and 8pm to 9pm on the weekdays. I don't have a problem at those times.

Btw, hi, I'm a newb.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Mornings riding Cameron Park are really humid & the evenings are hot but humidity is gone.

As soon as heat dies down a bit, I want to go down to Reville Peak Ranch. Hoping for next month...

mtbr member
    The heat only gets to me when I stop and chat/rest, so I have gotten fitter and keep going a lot more. The past 4-5 years I have actually made it a point to ride in the afternoon/early evening (hottest part of the day). I think it's made me a lot more tolerant (to the heat, not people). I like that there is MUCH less traffic.
    I only ride mornings once/week on the MTB and twice on the roadie, otherwise it's 2 times in the afternoons on the MTB and 2-3 times in the afternoon on the roadie (commute back home and a training ride).
    I have been running and trail running during lunch times too - not THAT is hot - tons hotter running on the trails than riding - I just can't go fast enough for an effective breeze
    My running buddy started running early mornings exclusively for the past 6 weeks. He has worked up to 10-13 miles runs, he joined me for a lunch trail run last week and the heat (and terrain) limited his run to 2 miles.
    Trails are a catch 22 in Austin, when you have a breeze, you are usually exposed to the sun, when you have shade, you have no breeze. Our shade is pretty scrubby too.

Embrace the Heat!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    It beats the [email protected] out of freezing rain.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    It beats the [email protected] out of freezing rain.
    freezing rain on a hot day would be nice , LOL

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Quote Originally Posted by terrasmak View Post
    freezing rain on a hot day would be nice , LOL
    Not gunna happen; frick I wanted a cold shower after my 45 mile road ride in 104 degree heat today. The cold water lasted less than 30 seconds. lol.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr View Post
    Not gunna happen; frick I wanted a cold shower after my 45 mile road ride in 104 degree heat today. The cold water lasted less than 30 seconds. lol.
    Of all the things about Texas that bug me, that's one of the worst! I hate that this time of the year, water out of the COLD tap is warm enough to shower in!

mtbr member
    I moved from Denver to Houston this year. It's hot but, try riding winter in Colorado - you know it's cold when your water bottle freezes!!!! LOL

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    It'll be interesting to see how much longer these temps stick around as we get further in the year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    We went out to OP Schnabel yesterday at 3:30pm and rode til about 6pm through the trails. I was shocked how nice it was riding under the tree cover. Wasn't hot at all.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    AGREED; planning on riding at PD this weekend. Last time the group of us rode there temps hung right in there around 108+

Thats Texas!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CBRsteve View Post
    You all just need to get out earlier... I ride really early on the weekends.

I'm usually on the trail by 6:30am (though due to sunrise it's been more like 7am recently) and am done by 10:00am.

During the week I get up at 4:15am so I can get my rides in before work and before the heat.
    Amen. I try to ride by 6:30-7 when its a nice cool 89 degrees outside. Was in CO for the last week and half and did not want to come back. Guess I can take my rain jacket out of my pack now.

mtbr member
    I hit the Greenbelt last Saturday around 930. Rode about 15 miles and felt great. It was even a little windy at times. I wont say that I was cool, but it beats my usual 5 PM, 105 degree rides in the sun at Walnut where Im dead tired after an hour

since 4/10/2009
    I moved from Denver to Houston this year. It's hot but, try riding winter in Colorado - you know it's cold when your water bottle freezes!!!! LOL
    been there, done that. I used to live in Michigan and the shop where I worked saw its share of frozen freehubs and shifters. believe it or not I actually prefer that stuff to the heat.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Woot. Our 24-day above 100 degree temps streak ended today in Houston. It's a high of 97 today. But it resumes tomorrow... x.x

Driving up to Austin to ride this weekend at the Greenbelt... Just saw the forecast.. I am NOT looking forward to the 110 high on Saturday lol.

mtbr member
    Light at the end of the tunnel? Saw the 7 day today and they have next Saturday at 95! One can dream....
    James

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bitewerks View Post
    Mornings riding Cameron Park are really humid & the evenings are hot but humidity is gone.

As soon as heat dies down a bit, I want to go down to Reville Peak Ranch. Hoping for next month...
    Is it just me or has Cameron Park suffered a bit lately with the heat combined with a lack of rain? I go out there 3 or 4 times a week and lately it seems as though there is a lot more sand where there used to not be sand.
    build a man a fire keep him warm for a day, set a man on fire keep him warm for the rest of his life.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Yup, Cam.Park is turning into moon dust. Great for the occasional roost.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    109* commute this afternoon was less than fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BGillespie View Post
    109* commute this afternoon was less than fun.
    Suppose to rain later this week!! Pray for rain!!!

since 4/10/2009
    Suppose to rain later this week!! Pray for rain!!!
    Hm, with chances of rain still sub-50% for me, I won't hold out any hope. Still, tomorrow looks to be the hottest day of the week here in Nac. 92 by Thursday. I think I'm going to try to get a daylight ride in - first in a long time.

mtbr member
    As mentioned by another poster, I ride the TH Park trails starting about 5pm and it's not terrible hot under the cover of trees.

since 4/10/2009
    As mentioned by another poster, I ride the TH Park trails starting about 5pm and it's not terrible hot under the cover of trees.
    Maybe if there were more hardwoods on my local trails that might be the case. But my local trails in Nac are in mostly pine forest, and a good bit of sunlight gets down to the forest floor. There's very little deep shade there.

Was watching TWC this morning, and they mentioned a developing system down in the Caribbean that could bring some serious rain to TX in the future. I'm guessing it's probably at least a week out still. Stormpulse isn't showing it yet, but if you add clouds to the map, you'll see the area they were talking about between Cuba and Guatemala.

mtbr member
    Maybe if there were more hardwoods on my local trails that might be the case. But my local trails in Nac are in mostly pine forest, and a good bit of sunlight gets down to the forest floor. There's very little deep shade there.

Was watching TWC this morning, and they mentioned a developing system down in the Caribbean that could bring some serious rain to TX in the future. I'm guessing it's probably at least a week out still. Stormpulse isn't showing it yet, but if you add clouds to the map, you'll see the area they were talking about between Cuba and Guatemala.
    Saw it this morning on the news. Hopefully it doesn't die before it gets here!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Gonna ride in OP Schnabel at 4pm today.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    They always predict rain 4 or 5 days away and then nothing happens. Just like the "Free Beer Tomorrow" signs

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pepethetimid View Post
    They always predict rain 4 or 5 days away and then nothing happens. Just like the "Free Beer Tomorrow" signs
    Nac has a chance of rain in the forecast for several days this coming weekend. I'm not holding out much hope for actual rain for the reasons you mention...but if that storm in the Caribbean comes north, it'll put some water on the ground over a good part of the state.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pepethetimid View Post
    Free beer!!!!?????

mtbr member
    In Nacogdoches, last weekend, there was so much dead pine straw and sand in the trails that it was hard to climb with my hardtail, not to mention making a fast turn. Everything is dead and dry!
    The heat was just stupid at 730am when I was loading my bike up for the 30 min drive from my house to the trails. I was sweating from just kneeling in my truck bed to strap my bike in place!

Before yesterday, we had 30 consecutive days with actual high temperatures being over 100F, but that's not including all of the 95-99F days before that had a heat index of 100F+.

All I know is that I'm dreaming of Angel Fire, even though the season is drawing to a close there :-/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PeytonP View Post
    In Nacogdoches, last weekend, there was so much dead pine straw and sand in the trails that it was hard to climb with my hardtail, not to mention making a fast turn. Everything is dead and dry!
    The heat was just stupid at 730am when I was loading my bike up for the 30 min drive from my house to the trails. I was sweating from just kneeling in my truck bed to strap my bike in place!

Before yesterday, we had 30 consecutive days with actual high temperatures being over 100F, but that's not including all of the 95-99F days before that had a heat index of 100F+.

All I know is that I'm dreaming of Angel Fire, even though the season is drawing to a close there :-/
    And, you know when it does finally rain, all that stuff is gonna get really slick!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    84 degrees, overcast and trying to rain this morning at Sansom Park. Felt great for a change.

Big Boy
    I think my lbs is starting a group night ride at walnut creek to help beat the heat. This next week is looking pretty promising though. forecast of consecutive days below 100 is awesome and 3 or 4 days in a row with a pretty good chance of rain. I cant wait until december when we get down to the mid 80's.
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!! :cornut:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by texasnavy05 View Post
    I think my lbs is starting a group night ride at walnut creek to help beat the heat. This next week is looking pretty promising though. forecast of consecutive days below 100 is awesome and 3 or 4 days in a row with a pretty good chance of rain. I cant wait until december when we get down to the mid 80's.
    Man, I know some of the guys ride the local trails around Houston at night. I don't know what would concern me more...crashing or critters!!!???

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Gret cold frontm, nice 85 degree day. 2 flats then my pump died and i was only 2 miles into my ride FML

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    the first day of nice weather in 2 months and i snapped the seat tube on my bike after an hour of riding!

since 4/10/2009
    I got out yesterday just before the rain hit. High was 89, but I'm sure it was lower than that by the time I got home. I got just over 15mi, but also found that my chain was skipping cogs on the cassette. Dammit, time to replace it when we finally have nice weather! I put a rush on my parts order so I'll at least have it before the weekend. I'll have to ride the HT in the meantime.

mtbr member

Smile

I'm looking at a 70F ride tomorrow morning in Nac with extremely low humidity. I can't wait! I wish I could ride Tuesday morning with its mid-50s low.

mtbr member
    After reading about all of the bad luck y'all have experienced, I took extra care in checking my bike over before riding Monday.

There must be Gremlins or something enjoying the cooler temps, too.

First, I keep losing my chain for no apparent reason.

Then, my back wheel CAME OUT OF THE MOUNT. While climbing or bombing- I don't even know when- some sort of trail debris caught the rear wheel's axle clamp and pulled it loose. I guess that it worked its way out from there and I ended up with the axle nut in my cassette. I just knew that I had ruined my gearing for good.

Finally, after a battle with the rear axle nut jammed in the cassette, I lost my chain after a 5' drop and made a really nice ankle sandwich with a tree and my bike frame. I'm almost sure that I felt the whole joint squeeze, stretch and separate, and pull back in place.

If it's not the heat, it's bike issues. If it's not the bike, it's the smoke from these insane wildfires. Has anyone heard reports of trails being burned?
    Last edited by PeytonP; 09-07-2011 at 06:35 AM.

since 4/10/2009
    After reading about all of the bad luck y'all have experienced, I took extra care in checking my bike over before riding Saturday.

There must be Gremlins or something enjoying the cooler temps, too.

First, I keep losing my chain for no apparent reason.

Then, my back wheel CAME OUT OF THE MOUNT. While climbing or bombing- I don't even know when- some sort of trail debris caught the rear wheel's axle clamp and pulled it loose. I guess that it worked its way out from there and I ended up with the axle nut in my cassette. I just knew that I had ruined my gearing for good.

Finally, after a battle with the real axle nut jammed in the cassette, I lost my chain after a 5' drop and made a really nice ankle sandwich with a tree and my bike frame. I'm almost sure that I felt the whole joint squeeze, stretch and separate, and pull back in place.

If it's not the heat, it's bike issues. If it's not the bike, it's the smoke from these insane wildfires. Has anyone heard reports of trails being burned?
    5' drop? where'd you find a 5' drop in nac? The biggest I'm aware of is the tall wooden bridge. The highest point might be 5' off the ground, but the drop is MAYBE 3' to tranny if you're going fast off the rim

mtbr member
    5' drop? where'd you find a 5' drop in nac?
    Correct on the wooden platform at the top of the "downhill" run. 5' happens when bunny hopping off and clearing the down-ramp because of showing off for a photographer girlfriend.

There are lots of drops and stair-gaps bigger than that around Nac. Most can be found right down the street on the SFA campus.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    61 this morning in San Antonio. Whoo Hoo!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Gonna dust off the Yeti today, check air pressures, lube chain, tighten bolts and take my first ride in 2 months. 46 degrees in Glen Rose this morning according to the news. Wander what gremlins I will encounter??

since 4/10/2009
    Correct on the wooden platform at the top of the "downhill" run. 5' happens when bunny hopping off and clearing the down-ramp because of showing off for a photographer girlfriend.

There are lots of drops and stair-gaps bigger than that around Nac. Most can be found right down the street on the SFA campus.
    LOL. I'd believe the bigger stair gaps on campus. At least you cleared the lip on that platform. Too many people try to roll it and catch their chainring. I've seen remnants of some serious carnage on that section of trail. It'd be great fun to camp out there one day and get some video. One day while doing some maintenance, I found half of a seat clamp laying on the trail. I pity the guy who had to ride that back to campus.

It was 53 in Nac this morning, and I had high plans to bike to the office today. The gremlins had it out for me again. The hub flange on my commuter was separating from the rest of the hub and had already taken about half a dozen spokes with it. Doh!