Hamilton greenbelt-lakeway- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Hamilton greenbelt-lakeway

I was looking for reviews on the trails here or somewhere close by. What I really am looking for is Rocky, technical and has some decent drops and climbing. I like the trails at pedernales falls but there is little to no drops or climbing to be had and looking for something a bit more technical. I really like brushy Creek but hate the drive back through Austin with the traffic. All suggestions are appreciated.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by natas1321 View Post
    I was looking for reviews on the trails here or somewhere close by. What I really am looking for is Rocky, technical and has some decent drops and climbing. I like the trails at pedernales falls but there is little to no drops or climbing to be had and looking for something a bit more technical. I really like brushy Creek but hate the drive back through Austin with the traffic. All suggestions are appreciated.

Mt Lakeway is the whip. Emma for ledges.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    If you're a really good rider, Emma Long, but it's extremely difficult riding, occasionally you'll have to dodge dirtbikes. Barton definitely has some ledges, if you take the entrance near the westlake high school, there's drops and ledges all the way down, then you can ride the GB whatever direction you want. Walnut creek, more flowy but tons of trails, there some slightly technical ones there.

Edit, sorry saw you were asking about Hamilton Greenbelt, pretty mellow and short. Not a bad ride, I'd say it's similar to Slaughter Creek but with much better views. Not a ton of ledges and drops in either place, there are a few though.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

Barely in control
    Reimers Ranch has that. Colorado Bend also, in places.

mtbr member
    Plan on doing Colorado bend next week and will check out Reimers

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Flat creek is close to that area and has a few jumps/drops

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Hamilton greenbelt-lakeway

Double post

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by FJSnoozer View Post
    Barton Greenbelt is your answer. Go with someone who knows.

You can ride some routes that get you 150+ feet per mile climbing and hundreds of ledge drops and rock rollers. I did a 50 mile ride in there the other day. You will need to ride for years in there to know your way around everything.

There are other trails in the Austin area that should Not be posted online that people may take you to as well. These trails meet your parameters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    If someone wants a barton creek tour, ping me. Open most weekdays.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Specs, Travis Country, ToysRUs, Emma, Mt. Lakeway, all have plenty of what it is that you desire.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Morris759 View Post
    Flat creek is close to that area and has a few jumps/drops
    checked it out today was a fun ride, just wish it had more climbing but glad I did it. thanks for the suggestion.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    checked it out today was a fun ride, just wish it had more climbing but glad I did it. thanks for the suggestion.
    Tons of fun climbing at both Travis Country & Mt. Lakeway.
    TC is just rough terrain to be climbing so it sucks your energy even though the climbing is pretty brief.
    ML is smoother way longer climbs.
    Emma of course has pretty brutal climbs.
    Off the HOL is a really fun 15-20 min technical climb.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    What you want is to ride the greenbelt from the Camp Craft rd entrance aka Hill of Life.

Ride up and down hill of life, and explore all of the trails northwest of the HOL. You will get almost 200í per mile of technical riding that is far more difficult than Lakeway. This is a good area to get Lost in because you will find all of the lines over time and how they connect. There are 5 main veins up and down that hill that connect in various places.

mtbr member
    What you want is to ride the greenbelt from the Camp Craft rd entrance aka Hill of Life.

Ride up and down hill of life, and explore all of the trails northwest of the HOL. You will get almost 200í per mile of technical riding that is far more difficult than Lakeway. This is a good area to get Lost in because you will find all of the lines over time and how they connect. There are 5 main veins up and down that hill that connect in various places.

is there a better time to ride there, morning versus afternoons and I would guess weekdays over weekends? also any particular place to park?

thanks again for the input.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    is there a better time to ride there, morning versus afternoons and I would guess weekdays over weekends? also any particular place to park?

thanks again for the input.
    Park on street curb of Scottish woods trail. Be respectful of homeowners and children when getting ready. Ride up to stop sign and look right in camp craft road for steel pipes official entrance.

There are hikers at all times of day on hill of life so donít bomb them. You also need a look at the drops before sending everything. Drops get progressively larger as you go down the .5 mile descent. Some drops have loose rock landings.

All other trails are right of the hill ( while descending). They all stem from a ridge trail that is near the Elbow of the hill of life .1 mile in, or a wide clearing path that is near the bottom.

3 of the climbs/descents are currently exposed on trailforks app.

You can also ride dump truck out and back for some good ole Austin ridge riding. Be careful on the initial drop in to dump truck and pretty much throughout. Yes, people ride it all no dab. Respect it and donít modify trails .

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Park on street curb of Scottish woods trail. Be respectful of homeowners and children when getting ready. Ride up to stop sign and look right in camp craft road for steel pipes official entrance.

There are hikers at all times of day on hill of life so donít bomb them. The other trails will have the occasional trail runner, or resident. Be polite! You also need a look at the drops before sending everything. Drops get progressively larger as you go down the .5 mile descent. Some drops have loose rock landings on HOL.

All other trails are right of the hill ( while descending). They all stem from a ridge trail that is near the Elbow of the hill of life .1 mile in, or a wide clearing path that is near the bottom.

You can also ride dump truck out and back for some good ole Austin ridge riding. Be careful on the initial drop in to dump truck and pretty much throughout. Yes, people ride it all no dab. Respect it and donít modify trails .

FYI Riding up the HOL is a BEAST. Itís far harder than riding up lakeway. A good current goal for any rider would be to ride the entire thing up without dabbing. There was a time that this was easier but not in its current state. Itís a brutal 6-20 minutes for all riders of all fitness, and it does get lots of direct sun.

Other trails are mostly shaded.

mtbr member

There are hikers at all times of day on hill of life so donít bomb them. You also need a look at the drops before sending everything. Drops get progressively larger as you go down the .5 mile descent. Some drops have loose rock landings.

Appreciate it, going to try to do it next Monday or Tuesday weather dependent.

mtbr member
    Appreciate it, going to try to do it next Monday or Tuesday weather dependent.

Do you think the trails will be good to go Monday or Tuesday after the recent rain?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Yep

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Do you think the trails will be good to go Monday or Tuesday after the recent rain?

Are you new to the area or what? I ride some of those trails after work around 4pm some week days and can show some to you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    Are you new to the area or what? I ride some of those trails after work around 4pm some week days and can show some to you.

Actually live in SATX but get up to brushy and walnut Creek a few times a month.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Coming from SA you are closer to the GB, where many great trails are located.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    Coming from SA you are closer to the GB, where many great trails are located.

I ride it all the time, weekdays and weekends, if you want to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike View Post

sounds good, will be in touch before too long.

mtbr member
    got to ride emma long today, love that place just wish I lived closer to it so I could ride it a lot more. Nothing too bad, had to get off the bike and hike in a few areas (four that I can recall) thought my climbing skills were good but I was humbled and hope to get up one or two of those spots next time. Might tree the GB tomorrow, have to see.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    We will soon.
    Off to Bentonville this particular weekend.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    In Europe for the next couple of weeks, so ping me in the future, I'm gonna have a lot of great food to work off on the trails.

mtbr member
    In Europe for the next couple of weeks, so ping me in the future, I'm gonna have a lot of great food to work off on the trails.
    Sounds like fun, enjoy your time there.

mtbr member
    checking to see if anyone knows the current conditions at city park, looking to ride there on tues if conditions are right.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    It'll be fine although I heard they reversed the direction of the trail recently.