Guadalupe River state park?- Mtbr.com
    TXAG
    Oct 2005

Guadalupe River state park?

Has anyone ridden there? I am going camping there next Friday night and ride on Saturday and then come home. According to TPWD they have 10 miles of trails at a 2-3 (intermediate-difficult) level. Any info would be appreciated! Thanks.

Got Mojo?

use the force my unavitard friend

Quote Originally Posted by LukeTX04
    Has anyone ridden there? I am going camping there next Friday night and ride on Saturday and then come home. According to TPWD they have 10 miles of trails at a 2-3 (intermediate-difficult) level. Any info would be appreciated! Thanks.

I have heard great things about the camping there. But as far as the trails... I would suggest taking a short drive to Canyon Park, and ride the Madrone Trail.

Canyon Park info on Mojo

Austin Bike review w/photos
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

Sep 2005
    I agree with Mojo. The camping is great there and in the summer the swimming is even better. But the trails are uninteresting at best; not much elevation change and lots of time spent pedalling through long flat rock gardens. Better to drive to Madrone, or to Flat Rock Creek.

TXAG
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for the info guys. My wife will be riding with me and she is a roadie so I don't want anything too difficult for her. I don't want her to be turned off by getting hurt her 1st time out. Should be fun though. I'll let yall know how it goes!

Got Mojo?
    Thanks for the info guys. My wife will be riding with me and she is a roadie so I don't want anything too difficult for her. I don't want her to be turned off by getting hurt her 1st time out. Should be fun though. I'll let yall know how it goes!
    Madrone at Canyon Lake is a challenging intermediate course. I would hesitate to take a MTB newbie/roadie there. There is several sections that she would need to walk, there is lots of sharp limestone out there.

Some newbies may get frustrated, but if she is patient it is a fun ride. Also you can grab an apres ride meal at the Papa Docks restaurant.

Flat Rock Ranch in Comfort is over 20 miles in two loops in a figure 8. So she would have to be ready to ride at least 10 miles off road.

Both trails have great views, and are much fun to be out on.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

TXAG
    Oct 2005

Follow UP

The camping was great other than the bitter cold night we had. The trails are not too bad, but very flat and alot of rock gardens. Not really my idea of a great ride but was fun none the less. The wife had a good time once she realized it is OK to walk through the rocks and stuff and we got in about a 10 mile ride. I would go back to camp for sure but I might not take the bikes next time. The park was also a little farther than we had thought. Closer to Boerne when I thought it was closer to New Braunfels. Good times. Thanks for all the adivce beforehand.

Got Mojo?
    The camping was great other than the bitter cold night we had. The trails are not too bad, but very flat and alot of rock gardens. Not really my idea of a great ride but was fun none the less. The wife had a good time once she realized it is OK to walk through the rocks and stuff and we got in about a 10 mile ride. I would go back to camp for sure but I might not take the bikes next time. The park was also a little farther than we had thought. Closer to Boerne when I thought it was closer to New Braunfels. Good times. Thanks for all the adivce beforehand.

I have never been.... But your review sums up what I have heard. Great camping, trails are a little, um, lacking.

It was a great weekend to be outside.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

Feb 2006
    Along those lines - In that area how would you rate the following?

Tapito Springs
    Madrone Trail
    Flat Creek Ranch

could be spending time around Boerne on the weekends soon.

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by ShanerPVT
    Along those lines - In that area how would you rate the following?

Tapito Springs
    Madrone Trail
    Flat Creek Ranch

could be spending time around Boerne on the weekends soon.
    I have not ridden at Tapatio. But I have heard that it is good, and it is close. But IMHO I would check out Madrone, Flat Rock, Hill Country SNA and Gov't Canyon SNA. But I have a bias against golf courses.

I personally like Madrone, it is 8ish miles of moderatly technical singletrack. And it is free, the trailhead is outside the park. After the ride you can stop at PappaDoc's restaurant for grub. It is probably the furthest from Boerne.

Madrone trail review and pix on Austin Bike

Flat Rock Ranch is definitely worth a day trip. 25ish miles of great Hill Country singletrack. It is in a figure 8, so at the 1/2 point you can stop at your car, reload on water etc. Hot water showers are an added bonus.

Flat Rock Ranch review and pix from Austin Bike

Also in the area is the recently opened Government Canyon SNA

Austin Bike review and pix of Gov't Canyon

And if you need a technical fix and INCREADIBLE views... Hill Country SNA

Austin Bike HCNA review and Pix

The Hill Country is great for riding. Bring lots of water though.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeMojo
    I have not ridden at Tapatio. But I have heard that it is good, and it is close. But IMHO I would check out Madrone, Flat Rock, Hill Country SNA and Gov't Canyon SNA. But I have a bias against golf courses.

I personally like Madrone, it is 8ish miles of moderatly technical singletrack. And it is free, the trailhead is outside the park. After the ride you can stop at PappaDoc's restaurant for grub. It is probably the furthest from Boerne.

Madrone trail review and pix on Austin Bike

Flat Rock Ranch is definitely worth a day trip. 25ish miles of great Hill Country singletrack. It is in a figure 8, so at the 1/2 point you can stop at your car, reload on water etc. Hot water showers are an added bonus.

Flat Rock Ranch review and pix from Austin Bike

Also in the area is the recently opened Government Canyon SNA

Austin Bike review and pix of Gov't Canyon

And if you need a technical fix and INCREADIBLE views... Hill Country SNA

Austin Bike HCNA review and Pix

The Hill Country is great for riding. Bring lots of water though.

Thanks for the great info! Dirt Rag has a write up on Government Canyon.

Thanks again for the links.

Got Mojo?
    Thanks for the great info! Dirt Rag has a write up on Government Canyon.

Hope you liked the article.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeMojo
    Hope you liked the article.
    Yea! Great to see Texas get alittle love on the national level. Did you write the article? Either way it is great to see a article on Central Texas trails in Dirt Rag!

Looking forward to riding it soon.

Got Mojo?
    Yea! Great to see Texas get alittle love on the national level. Did you write the article? Either way it is great to see a article on Central Texas trails in Dirt Rag!

Looking forward to riding it soon.

Yea, I wrote it, with a bunch of help. The DR folks are great to work with, Michael the editor did as much work as I did.

And for writting it I am getting some schwag. Specifically I am getting on of the new DR woolies.

I would encourage anyone and everyone to submit.

When you are coming down drop me a note, I'll give you the hook up.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Ive been novice MTB'ing for a long while (since I was 10) and had to give it up when I came into the Army. Im deployed right now but in a care package there was a MTB mag and god it got me hooked again. Im going to be getting serious about MTB when I get back but for now I live through what yall ride.

Mojo great article on Gov'n. Also thanks for the Austin Bike guide site. Ive been on there ALL day checking out the pics. God how I miss central TX!!!

Jul 2006
    dont do it/ camping tubing is great to many peops cruising around drinking not worth it

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Glad you like the site, I go out of my way to get new info up on it. If anyone ever has trail info or pics, drop me a line.

I wish I could do that for a living.

Members who have read this thread: 0