Group Ride at Lake Bryan Saturday.- Mtbr.com
    Fat Biker
    Aug 2006

Group Ride at Lake Bryan Saturday.

Our Houston area mountain bike organization (GHORBA) is holding a group ride at Lake Bryan this Saturday so if you'd like to join us feel free to drop in. We'll meet at 9:00 am near the restaurant parking lot with wheels down at 9:30am. A couple of local riders with BVMBA will lead groups for people who are not familiar with the trails. A map of the Lake Bryan trails can be found here: http://www.bvmba.net/lakebryantrails.php

There is a a $5.00 per car fee to enter the park which goes towards keeping the trail well maintained.
    Last edited by soccerdude; 07-26-2010 at 07:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Always cool when clubs get together.

I think your 'R' switched acronyms, though.
    Pedigre

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Hey I am gunna think about this one..I had a lot of fun at the Warda 6 hour race Saturday night. And now that Lake Bryan dropped off the TMBRA cicruit I there might not be too many opportunities.

I have not been out there for years.hmm. may see you theer if work goes well this week, I feel ok, and etc. .

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I saw it posted up on the Ghorba forum. I don't get off work until 8, but MAY be able to leave as early as 7am. Do you know how long it would take to get there from the Clear Lake area?

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedigre
    Always cool when clubs get together.

I think your 'R' switched acronyms, though.
    I'd like to think that my brain is fast and my fingers are slow but just the opposite is true. Thanks for pointing it out George. You planning on making an appearance this Saturday?

ArmySlowRdr, you need to come out no matter what. Would be good to see you again and you know you'd have a blast riding the East trail a few times. I need to talk with you anyways as I'm planning a GHORBA ride at BLORA sometime in August. I haven't been all summer and I'm dying to go!

Ninja! It will take at least 2 hours for you to drive from Clear Lake to Lake Bryan. As you know the first ride will start at 9:30 am or so but we will have more than one ride. My group will ride the West trail first which will probably take an hour then we'll hit the East trail. I'm sure we will be out at the trails all day and I expect to leave no sooner than 5pm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerdude
    I'd like to think that my brain is fast and my fingers are slow but just the opposite is true. Thanks for pointing it out George. You planning on making an appearance this Saturday?
    That almost makes me sound mysterious lol I'm seriously contemplating the 3.5 hr drive, though I have to turn around Monday morning and drive to Fort Worth, too.
    Pedigre

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    Man, that's a long haul! Didn't know you had that far to drive. Still, Lake Bryan has two trails and is worth the drive. I'm sure lots of people would love to talk trails with the master of MountainBikeTx.com

mtbr member
    Man, that's a long haul! Didn't know you had that far to drive. Still, Lake Bryan has two trails and is worth the drive. I'm sure lots of people would love to talk trails with the master of MountainBikeTx.com
    lol I think I'm going to add that to my signature block I do like talking trails.
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    *erased*
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    +1 to riding all day, can't wait to get out of the houston area and get to some trails that don't require a kayak.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    As an Ag and frequenter of Lake Bryan, my advice would be to stick to the East loop. West is rather boring. You ride on the levy for so long, and only get rewarded with so-so trails. East is far superior

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Briggadier
    As an Ag and frequenter of Lake Bryan, my advice would be to stick to the East loop. West is rather boring. You ride on the levy for so long, and only get rewarded with so-so trails. East is far superior
    I completely agree that the East trail is much more fun but we usually have a few less experienced riders attend our rides so we always give them an easier option. Plus I'm old and fat and the East trail wears me out! Right now we have three groups planned; a fast and a slow group on the East trail plus a slow group on the West trail. Also, I'm sure there will be a few riders who venture out on their own.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Whats the best exit to take coming off of Hwy 6 from Houston to make that final turn towards the trail? google maps says old san antonio road out past bryan, is that correct?

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Please keep us posted on rain out that way.

We've had several light thunder storms here in Killeen over the past 36 hours for a total of .36 inch. With all the heat we've had I can't imagine the trails would not dry quick..

..but I do remember that one TMBRA mud race at lake Bryan back around 2000-2002 sometime.

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    The Bryan/College Station are got some rain today but it's expected to be hot and sunny the next few days. Joes Reyes of BVMBA will update trail conditions tomorrow as well as Friday. I will post what he says tomorrow and again on Friday evening.

Directions from Houston:

Take Hwy 290 towards Austin
    Exit TX-6 N towards College Station/Bryan
    Continue on TX-6 N / US - 190 / Earl Rudder Frwy (tricky intersection)
    Exit onto Texas Osr/Old San Antonio ramp
    Turn left at County Line Rd/Old San Antonio Rd
    Continue to follow Old San Antonio Rd/Texas Osr W
    Turn left at Sandy Point Rd (aka FM-1687)
    Turn left at the entrance to Lake Bryan

This is the fastest way to get to the trails without having to drive all through town. It seems every road in the area has two names so be careful and double check the road signs.

Wrench
    I live in College Station. I may show up for the ride.

I also have a season pass to Lake Bryan.

If I don't head home for the day, I'll try to make it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I'll bring my helmet cam out for the ride, sounds like it will be a worthwhile trail to record.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    If the trails look like they're going to be dry I'll load up the bike and gear to take it to work with me. Sounds like it's not too far from Texas World Speedway so I have a good idea of how to get most of the way there. If you see a skinny guy with a lime green Santa Cruz SL be nice to him, he's kinda slow!

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006

Lake Bryan Ride Rescheduled.

I spoke with Joel Reyes of BVMBA and he said they received alot of rain and the trail will be closed all weekend. We are rescheduling the ride for Saturday August 28th at 9:00 am with wheels down at 9:30am. We would reschedule it earlier but BVMBA is doing trail maintenance on August 7th and GHORBA has a local ride scheduled on the 14th at Cypresswood in Houston.

BUT we will be riding at Bluff Creek Ranch since they did not receive too much rain this week! It will not be an official GHORBA ride and we will not have group leaders but you're more than welcome to come out and ride the 7+ mile loop. I will have a map posted plus directions later this evening. We will meet at the ranch house at 9:00 am. Cost is $8 per person so bring cash.
    Last edited by soccerdude; 07-30-2010 at 05:11 AM.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    awww shucks I was looking forward to it. the trails here in killeen were dry this evening; I guess that area received a lot more rain. I do recall seeing a lot of red on the radar image in that area the last several days..

mtbr member
    Whew, you didn't reschedule while I'm in Germany. Sweet!!
    Pedigre

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr
    awww shucks I was looking forward to it. the trails here in killeen were dry this evening; I guess that area received a lot more rain. I do recall seeing a lot of red on the radar image in that area the last several days..
    Yea, Joel said that Bryan and College Station didn't get much rain but it poured at Lake Bryan. He said even if it didn't rain anymore it would be too soft to ride. He has memories of the TMBRA race after the rain and how the trails were destroyed. Best to reschedule than to take chances.

Bluff Creek Ranch Website: http://sitekreator.com/BCR/main_page.html

A map to Bluff Creek Ranch: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...18b0cc58277a27

mtbr member
    We are rescheduling the ride for Saturday August 24th at 9:00 am with wheels down at 9:30am.
    I think you were looking at July, Aug 24 is a Tuesday.
    Pedigre

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    You're right. Changed it to the correct date of Saturday August 28th. I'm going to have to start sending you all my posts for proof.

mtbr member
    You're right. Changed it to the correct date of Saturday August 28th. I'm going to have to start sending you all my posts for proof.
    lol I only caught it b/c I land back in SA on the 21st...so, the 28th appears to still be open for me!!
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Not too sure if I can make it. Being that close to Fayetteville I wouldn't be able to help but detour a bit and drive 1291. Seems as if finding a group of Ghorba riders would be easier as well.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    i got excited because i am off the rescheduled weekend, then i got depressed because i remembered i'm off because it's my mom's birthday. but then i got excited again because it's my mom's birthday.

if her belated birthday party gets canceled or rescheduled, i will be down for some lake bryan riding. if i attend, i will be staying at my friend's house in Bryan and i'm sure he/they won't mind if a few people crash on the couch, if they don't want to drive back that night.

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Go! Ninja Go!
    Not too sure if I can make it. Being that close to Fayetteville I wouldn't be able to help but detour a bit and drive 1291. Seems as if finding a group of Ghorba riders would be easier as well.
    I love Orsaks in Fayetteville! Gream burgers...mmmmmm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I love Orsaks in Fayetteville! Gream burgers...mmmmmm.
    Yessir! Anytime I'm up there I make it a point to stop in at Orsaks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Well thats good news and bad news then. Good news as I'm glad I didnt miss the ride, bad news is I think I gotta miss Warda as I hurt something in my shoulder/bicep area last night at the gym to where i cant bend my arm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdole
    Well thats good news and bad news then. Good news as I'm glad I didnt miss the ride, bad news is I think I gotta miss Warda as I hurt something in my shoulder/bicep area last night at the gym to where i cant bend my arm.
    Just ride with your arm straight
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedigre
    Just ride with your arm straight
    *thinks back to first days learning how to mountain bike*

yeah...lets not revisit those days.

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    Well, I hate to do it but it looks like I'll need to change the date of the ride again. GHORBA is holding a skills clinic on August 28th so we will probably move the ride up one week to Saturday August 21st. Our skills clinics draw big crowds and I'd hate to aks people choose between a ride and a clinic. In fact I want to take the clinic myself so I can teach my awesome crashing skills. I'm waiting to hear from the BVMBA guys to see if the new date will work for them then we'll make it official.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    ya, why don't you make it final before you post 15 different tentative dates, and we all make 15 tentative plans only to have it changed 2 days later. just sayin

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    It's official. We're holding it on Saturday August 21st at 9:00am. I'm sorry if this screws up anyone's schedule. It's a shame the rain messed us up as yesterday was a great day to ride. Had a blast at Bluff Creek Ranch but would have rather been riding Lake Bryan with you guys and gals.

Mike Strawn

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    i look forward to this ride.

will the groups be classed? my cousins and friends would like to attend, as long as they are not forced to keep up with advanced/hardcore riders.

mtbr member
    I'll have to take a rain check...I'll be in Germany from 9-21 Aug.
    Pedigre

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by alexrex20
    i look forward to this ride.

will the groups be classed? my cousins and friends would like to attend, as long as they are not forced to keep up with advanced/hardcore riders.
    Yes, we will have at least three groups: a fast group and a slow group for the East trail and a slow group for the West trail. Riders are also able to ride on their own if they wish.

Pedigre, yeah I was afraid of that. GHORBA has two rides every month, a local and an out of town, so I'm sure we'll have something closer to home that you can ride soon. We'll hit up all the trails in Austin, San Antonio, and surrounding areas in the next few months. Hope to see you at a few rides.

mtbr member
    GHORBA has two rides every month, a local and an out of town, so I'm sure we'll have something closer to home that you can ride soon. We'll hit up all the trails in Austin, San Antonio, and surrounding areas in the next few months. Hope to see you at a few rides.
    No worries, I'll try and catch one or more of the next ones
    Pedigre

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    bump for group ride on Saturday Aug 21st, 930am

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    Joel and the other BVMBA members have been working on clearing weeds, cutting the tall grass, and cleaning up the trails in general for our ride. I hope we have a huge turnout as I'd hate for all their hard work to go to waste.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    We are already going on a 10 day or more dry spell; let's all hope the rain stays away.

Joel and the other BVMBA members have been working on clearing weeds, cutting the tall grass, and cleaning up the trails in general for our ride. I hope we have a huge turnout as I'd hate for all their hard work to go to waste.

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    The weatherman says there is a chance for rain this week so we'll be keeping an eye on the radar and I'll be in contact with BVMBA for trail condition updates. Will give a go/no-go on Friday.

Mike

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    So far no rain at Lake Bryan!

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    I see the trail status page for Lake Bryan on BVMBA says open. Hope it stays nice. I am looking forward to riding one or both sides and then eating a burger at Lakeside Bar/Grill.

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    So far there has been a little rain at Lake Bryan. Just enough to settle the dust but not enough to close the trails. We should be good for Saturday. I'm really hoping for a huge turnout for this ride. Joel Reyes and the BVMBA crowd have been putting in overtime cleaning up the trails and cutting down the tall grass/weeds on the levees. I really hope they have a group ride in Houston sometime so we can return the favor.
    Last edited by soccerdude; 08-19-2010 at 06:25 PM.

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    A huge thanks to the BVMBA guys who cleared the trails and made our ride such a huge success! The trails were in excellent condition with no tall weeds or grass and very few face or leg slappers. It was nice to see some old friends plus meet new ones. I hope everyone had as much fun as I did. I'm looking forward to our September rides which will probably be at Belton Lake in Killeen, TX and Sugar Land Memorial (Justin P. Brindley) in Sugar Land, Tx. I hope to see everyone there!

Mike Strawn

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Yup they did a fantastic job; everything was in great shape. Thanks BVMBA.

Ah I forgot to delete the Warda files off my card is why I didn't get helmet vid on the east side. The card is only 8 GB holding 3 to 4 hours of vid. I will put something together over the next week or so.

Hope to see you all at BLORA in September..

A huge thanks to the BVMBA guys who cleared the trails and made our ride such a huge success! The trails were in excellent condition with no tall weeds or grass and very few face or leg slappers. It was nice to see some old friends plus meet new ones. I hope everyone had as much fun as I did. I'm looking forward to our September rides which will probably be at Belton Lake in Killeen, TX and Sugar Land Memorial (Justin P. Brindley) in Sugar Land, Tx. I hope to see everyone there!

Mike Strawn

Members who have read this thread: 0