Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Reputation: mtnbkrmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,227

    Green Light for a January Texas Getaway...Suggestions?

    Any suggestions? Ideally it would be kinda like Sedona - decent biking for me, spiritual vortex for my GF. Otherwise, biking for me is good.

    Any suggestions for a good Texas destination for January?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mack_turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    8,418
    start here- AustinBike.com - Home

    there's tons of trails within an hour or two of Austin, but I rarely leave the area to ride. riding trails in Austin is best with a guide for the urban stuff. Easily over 200 miles of trail withing Austin or just outside the city. Even more in neighboring ranches and parks to the west.

    also, I believe this has been rescheduled for January Enchilada Buffet | The total Austin mountain biking experience.
    Last edited by mack_turtle; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:23 PM.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fredcook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Any suggestions? Ideally it would be kinda like Sedona - decent biking for me, spiritual vortex for my GF. Otherwise, biking for me is good.

    Any suggestions for a good Texas destination for January?
    What part of Texas? It covers a lot of ground (12 hour drive east/west, 14 hour drive north/south). And it's four corners can provide you with VERY different experiences.

    For spiritual vortex's...

    Austin is probably the best, maybe only, option. They wear "Keep Austin Weird" t-shirts for a reason.

    For mountain riding...

    Dallas/Fort Worth/North Texas has something like 150 miles of short to medium length, beginner to advanced trails within an hour of each other that cover just about all type of riding terra firma. Start with Dorba.org. Other than that, it's a big city with big city entertainment. I'd stay in Fort Worth over Dallas any day of the week.

    Far west Texas, like the Big Bend area, has some long rocky desert, and really isolated, mountain biking experiences (closest decent sized town with a Walmart is 200 miles way). Trail riding can be long and lonely. Be prepared. Most things out there want to stick, prick, bite and eat you. You'd probably find some spiritual vortexes there as well. It's a different world out there. Best (only) place to stay is Lajitas. Don't be fooled by it's population of around 100. Busier place than you'd expect. Even has a golf resort.

    Austin/Central Texas has a good share of rocky hill trails spread throughout the Hill Country. No shortage of trails and a few mountain bike "parks". West End in Austin has an interesting night life. Good food, big college town.

    All in all, for a visit to Texas, I'd vote for Central Texas and the Hill Country. January weather will be on your side compared to north and west Texas. Base out of Austin or San Antonio if you want a bigger city base. But if it were me, I'd suggest one of many smaller towns to the west of Austin or San Antonio. Fredricksburg or Wimberly are good bets. Central Texas has good trial riding, good food, interesting cultures (a lot of German towns down yonder, some where speaking German is still common). If you're a wine drinker, there are literally ~420 wineries in Central Texas. Go figure. Some distilleries and breweries here and there as well. If the weather prevents riding, there's plenty else to do.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    101
    I'll add Waco in with the mix. We have plenty of good trails and a lot of other stuff to do now besides riding. Cameron Park is a great place to ride. It covers a lot of different difficulties. It's not far from down town with some good places to eat and shop at.

    Weather is unpredictable around here though.
    Will swerve for leaves.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    721
    Quote Originally Posted by Leafkiller View Post
    I'll add Waco in with the mix. We have plenty of good trails and a lot of other stuff to do now besides riding. Cameron Park is a great place to ride. It covers a lot of different difficulties. It's not far from down town with some good places to eat and shop at.

    Weather is unpredictable around here though.
    Haha and if she's a Chip and Joanne fan, she can go nuts, but it will cost you.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    721
    Also, Marfa, and to a lesser extent Alpine, the two "big cities" near Big Bend, are becoming something of a haven for arted- and wacked-out Californios. But being Texas, they're a good ways away from the park (more than an hour's drive, although you can really haul ass out there).

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by TwiceHorn View Post
    Haha and if she's a Chip and Joanne fan, she can go nuts, but it will cost you.
    Ain't that the truth. I've been to their Silo and only for medical calls. The prices I saw were way overboard. Plus every other antique shop is jacking their prices for the crap they sell. Hobby Lobby usually has the same stuff for a 1/4 of the price.

    Another great thing about Waco is it's half way between Dallas and Austin, two places heavily mentioned already.
    Will swerve for leaves.

  8. #8
    100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Reputation: mtnbkrmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,227
    Wow. Thanks guys for all the super helpful info. I am going to run all this past my GF.

    We were watching Breaking Bad last night. The whole El Paso territory looks totally bad ass. I suspect there is no biking around there but if there was, I would not want to be doing a long solo ride...

    My GF is all over Marfa. I don't know why, and I know nothing about Marfa.

    I will circle back after I run all this past her. Thanks again guys. Super appreciated.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,465
    If you come to Austin let me know. I live a life of leisure and can ride every day so I can be your local trail guide; some of the best stuff is not necessarily public if you know what I mean.

    Meanwhile my site can give you all the data you need to know. Especially this (hasn't been updated this year, but still very relevant): AustinBike.com - So...You're Coming to Austin
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

    http://www.austinbike.com

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fredcook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Wow. Thanks guys for all the super helpful info. I am going to run all this past my GF.

    We were watching Breaking Bad last night. The whole El Paso territory looks totally bad ass. I suspect there is no biking around there but if there was, I would not want to be doing a long solo ride...

    My GF is all over Marfa. I don't know why, and I know nothing about Marfa.

    I will circle back after I run all this past her. Thanks again guys. Super appreciated.
    El Paso... if you go, resist the temptation to go into Ciudad. There are some MTB trails around the Franklin Mountains.

    GF interested in Marfa? Not a lot there, but interesting. Went there once to see the "Marfa Lights". Look it up. Not far from the McDonald Observatory though.

    By the way... Big Bend country... whether you drive there, or fly and rent, bring/get a 4WD. Not required, but some of the best places to go may. And watch your gas. I've been places out there that were 75+ miles from a gas station. And if you're into it, bring binoculars (or a telescope). It is really dark out there at night. The milky way is awesome. I've camped out there and was able to cast a shadow at night just by starlight (no moon).
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    721
    Quote Originally Posted by fredcook View Post
    El Paso... if you go, resist the temptation to go into Ciudad. There are some MTB trails around the Franklin Mountains.

    GF interested in Marfa? Not a lot there, but interesting. Went there once to see the "Marfa Lights". Look it up. Not far from the McDonald Observatory though.

    By the way... Big Bend country... whether you drive there, or fly and rent, bring/get a 4WD. Not required, but some of the best places to go may. And watch your gas. I've been places out there that were 75+ miles from a gas station. And if you're into it, bring binoculars (or a telescope). It is really dark out there at night. The milky way is awesome. I've camped out there and was able to cast a shadow at night just by starlight (no moon).
    Verdad. Ciudad Juarez is riddled with drug violence and kidnapping and it is specifically directed at "civilians" in many cases. Some people pooh pooh that at various border towns, but Juarez is no joke and no place for a gringo right now.

  12. #12
    Barely in control
    Reputation: Schulze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,854
    Resort along the Colorado or Lake Travis. From there, many trails are less than an hour's drive - Reveille Peak, Colorado Bend, Reimer's Ranch, Pace Bend, maybe Pedernales too.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    59
    I really enjoyed riding at Palo Duro canyon. Very cool state park.

    I donít need to repeat everyone else above on how great the trails in dfw are. Check out the DORBA website for trail status and information if you end up in North Texas.

    Cheers!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,033
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Any suggestions? Ideally it would be kinda like Sedona - decent biking for me, spiritual vortex for my GF. Otherwise, biking for me is good.

    Any suggestions for a good Texas destination for January?
    Im going to be a bit biased as I lived in austin, houston, dallas and san antonio and can say austin is the only city worth visiting. It has IMHO, the best biking within a 50 mile radius and an all around cool place to spend time. Bring a short travel 29 FS or that honzo. Plenty of shops to demo if you need. Id let you roll one of mine but Im down to just one bike until spring.

    AustinBike.com - Home

    https://austinmountainbiking.com/

    https://mtbparks.com/Mountain-Bike-P...-to-Texas.html
    Thinning the herd
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

Similar Threads

  1. Ayup light battery and "wet" light suggestions (Texas Water Safari)
    By mousehunter in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-02-2017, 12:22 PM
  2. Texas (North Texas Riders)
    By jherich in forum Urban/DJ/Park
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-21-2014, 10:57 AM
  3. Weekend getaway-Suggestions for trails in VA
    By LaXCarp in forum Virginia, WV, Maryland, DC, Delaware
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-16-2013, 11:45 AM
  4. Memorial Day Weekend Getaway - Suggestions?
    By XC62701 in forum New York - New Jersey
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-21-2006, 04:45 PM
  5. Suggestions for Good Weekend Getaway/Ride?
    By Brik in forum California - Socal
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-23-2004, 09:48 AM

Members who have read this thread: 31

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.